Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Turn Outs...

Howdy,

Took my first drive up and down a windy mountain road. Twists and turns. 35-55mph.

I was able to do speed limit or above to spread out the chain behind me for the most part.

The turn outs seemed much too short and I would have most likely have to come to a complete stop making merging back in hazardous.

If doing speed limit or safely above, maybe 5 mph more to spread out the chain following do you use turn outs?

Thanks,

Rounder44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Howdy,

Took my first drive up and down a windy mountain road. Twists and turns. 35-55mph.

I was able to do speed limit or above to spread out the chain behind me for the most part.

The turn outs seemed much too short and I would have most likely have to come to a complete stop making merging back in hazardous.

If doing speed limit or safely above, maybe 5 mph more to spread out the chain following do you use turn outs?

Thanks,

Rounder44

Turn outs generally are too short for getting up to safe merging speed. Most steep mountain highways have slower vehicle passing lanes at reasonable intervals. I keep to the speed limits, and am content to let the speedsters slow down behind me for a few minutes.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Very site-specific situations, and very difficult to generalize IMO.

Find the right balance point and maximize safety. If folks behind have to be more patient, so be it!

Relax and be happy . . . don’t overthink . . . trust your Self.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
When I feel like I can safely. I have to see the turn out far enough ahead to evaluate its length and whether someone is in it. I have to consider is traffic overall light enough so I will get a long empty spot to pull back out in. Most turnouts do require a complete stop and re-entry. I sorta evaluate whether I am keeping up with traffic or if I am the impediment. So I use the turnouts as often as I feel I can. I also try to avoid feeling I have to push at a higher speed than I feel is safe and using the turn outs regularly helps with that.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Texas permits one to drive on the shoulder IF it is wide enough AND it is clear so that someone overtaking doesn't have to wait for a clear spot. We've taken advantage of that a few times, but sometimes there isn't enough of a straight stretch for me to see far enough to let the speedier guy pass me. More than once I've been glad I didn't use the shoulder as there was some large object on the shoulder.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
kb0zke,
That brings back memories.

We lived in Nebraska and went to my Aunt's in Boerne for Christmas.

I was 16 and had been a licensed driver for about 6 weeks.

Mom in the passenger side napping, and I am at the wheel. I observe that this is the way the locals do it. I of course had been told by my parents not to speed, so I realize that most everyone else needs to pass me.

Mom wakes up from her catnap freaking out "why are we on the shoulder???"

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
If itís easy to pull over I will, but I donít want to stop completely unless Iíll have plenty of time to get back on the roadway. (I pull over to let people pass ALL the time ó even into driveways ó when Iím just in a car.) Otherwise, people behind me are just going to have to be patient until they can get around me. (Iím usually doing close to the speed limit anyway.)
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I’ve ridden with people who were so preoccupied with people behind them they almost wrecked. I pull over when I can but the people who were behind just end up on the bumper of the next car in front. If it’s not safe to pull over they just have to wait.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a friend come visit me in Colorado. I wanted her to see the "Million Dollar Highway" (550 south of Ouray). She insisted on driving since it was her rental car.
Now, that stretch of road still takes my breath away, but she drove 20 mph. I begged her to pull over on a turnout, which she did. There must have been 20 cars behind us. "Why were they all blowing their horns?"...Um..., ah,....
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Iíll always get in the slower lane to let faster traffic pass. If there is only one lane and iím Going the speed limit- oh well, I guess they should have gotten up earlier.

Remember - road shoulders are where all the road debris ends up: nails, rocks, glass, metal, etc. No way am I going to jeopardize my AS or TV.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
This brings to mind the first— and only— time I drove on Scenic Byway 7 in Arkansas. Twists and turns and ups and downs and various combinations thereof, on a two-lane road with no shoulders at all and no turn-outs for miles and miles. I made sure to slow down to the posted advisory speed shown on the yellow signs at each turn to avoid going off the side of the road or into the oncoming lane, and I ended up leading a parade of irate Arkansans, to the point that they were passing me in "No Passing" zones just to get around me. And I learned that a "scenic byway" isn't very scenic at all when you don't dare look away from the road long enough to see the scenery.

But then again, I've driven a lot in Arkansas in the last year, and even when I can do the full posted speed limit on better roads, they tend to pass me in "No Passing" zones anyway.

But I've become philosophical about the whole experience. Even though posted advisory speeds on turns are not speed limits, they were determined by highway engineers based on the speed the curve was designed for in the first place, and it is good, safe, defensive driving practice to follow the posted advisory speeds. If people behind me want to go faster and risk an accident, it's not my problem, and I'm under no obligation to risk an accident as well just so they can.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
Iíll always get in the slower lane to let faster traffic pass. If there is only one lane and iím Going the speed limit- oh well, I guess they should have gotten up earlier.

Remember - road shoulders are where all the road debris ends up: nails, rocks, glass, metal, etc. No way am I going to jeopardize my AS or TV.
my sentiments exactly
davincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #14
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Turn Outs...

When on a winding road with pullouts As long as I am able to maintain the posted speed limit or within a couple of mph I do not use the pull outs even if there are several vehicles behind me. I feel that the vehicles that want to go over the speed limit are not entitled to the right of way.
To paraphrase a highway patrolman friend of mine ďA Speeding Vehicle Has No Right Of WayĒ
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Only use turn outs when it safe for YOU to do so
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yes pull out only when safe for US, however we do also use them when a line builds up behind us. Even if a speeding vehicle has no right of way we still don't like the line pushing us from behind even if it's only metaforically.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
As all AS owners I agree as the line grows I start looking for a turnout that is safe for all. We do not like to put others in a situation that they would put themselves and us into dangerous situation. Even if the other drives think of only themselves and how they are being held back from their plan by driving behind a Airstream. Airstreams owners are safe considerate drivers that enjoy the ride. Be safe number one