Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
Tucson to Seattle

What is the best route to go from Tucson, Az to Seattle, Wa. We are leaving 5 May and will be taking it slow. We don't have to be in Seattle until 14 May for a flight to Alaska. We plan on storing our Airstream at Fort Lewis for the 2 weeks we are in Alaska.
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Best for what? Are you looking for freeway all the way? Do you want to see a variety of landscapes? Do you have any goals in mind?

You could head north and get into Montana and drive west through some of the most beautiful country that state has to offer. Or you could aim for the Pendelton area of Oregon and drive through the Columbia Gorge. Or you could make your way west early and head up the Pacific Coast highway, or at least parts of it, to see the Redwoods and the ocean.

Lots of options. Give us a hint what "the best route" means to you.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
Tucson to Seattle

Looking for good roads with minimum traffic. We were thinking of I 10 into Ca trying to avoid LA area traffic then I 5 up. Just not sure about traffic going to northern Ca.
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I'd take a look at taking I-15 up through Utah, and then 84 through Idaho to Oregon. You can go to Portland and catch I5 or head up through the tri-cities and go over Snoqualmie pass to Seattle. If you're headed to Fort Lewis I'd go by Portland. I've done that drive a couple times. Willard Bay SP, north of SLC and Bruneau Dunes SP near Mountain Home Idaho are nice places to camp.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BScott View Post
Looking for good roads with minimum traffic. We were thinking of I 10 into Ca trying to avoid LA area traffic then I 5 up. Just not sure about traffic going to northern Ca.
This is the most direct, and boring IMO, route.

Your trip is about 1500-1600 miles and will take about 30 hours of driving time @ 50 MPH average. Divide by 8 days of driving, and you have to make about 200 miles per day.

Personally I would pick just one or two "sights" you would like to see, and aim to spend a day or two near each one. In May you should have your pick of campgrounds, so aiming for the "hard to get into in summer" ones might be a good bet IMO. Yellowstone? Yosemite? Bryce Canyon?

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Desert Eagle Fam Camp at Nellis AFB is nice. From Las Vegas US93 to Twin Falls, ID. Then to the Tri-Cities via I84. Columbia Sun RV Resort in Kennewick, WA is a nice stopover but a bit expensive.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote