Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: "Trucks busses left lane only" - what do you do?
I have a trailer and use the left lane 6 24.00%
I have a trailer and use the right lane 8 32.00%
I have a trailer and use whichever lane is more convenient 10 40.00%
I have a Class A and use the left lane 0 0%
I have a Class A and use the right lane 1 4.00%
I have a Class A and use whichever lane is more convenient 0 0%
I have a Class B and don't worry about it at all 0 0%
I have a Class B and ____ (post below) 0 0%
Other (post below) 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
"Trucks busses left lane only"

What do you do?

I saw this sign a bunch of times on the PA turnpike over the weekend in construction zones, so I was wondering what the proper course of action is.

There's a similar one that specifically mentions trailers, so no problem there; I hop to the left lane for that.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
What do you do?

I saw this sign a bunch of times on the PA turnpike over the weekend, so I was wondering what the proper course of action is.

There's a similar one that specifically mentions trailers, so no problem there; I hop to the left lane for that.
When I see that sign out west, I'm told it's because the road is crummy and the additional weight will trash it even more.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The signs are part of a recent strategy to keep heavy traffic on the permanent part of the roadway during construction to minimize damage to shoulder areas that are temporarily being used as travel lanes. A growing number of states are doing this.

In general, Airstreams aren't heavy enough to pose a problem. A fully loaded truck will have typically carry close to 37,000 pounds on each tandem axle pair, in comparison to around 6,000 for most Airstreams.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
"Trucks busses left lane only"

I keep to the right as I don't exceed 60 MPH when towing either of my trailers. When these lane switch advisories are posted, I generally begin looking for the closest secondary road if the traffic is heavy. My Airstream in tow means that I am in recreation mode and being forced to travel in excess of 60 MPH is not my idea of fun when traveling for recreation . . . but I will reduce my exposure to irate travelers on the Interstates by choosing secondary highways for the vast majority of my travel.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Like Jammer said, these signs are posted when construction causes the shoulder to be used as the right traffic lane. It isn't built to carry 80,000 pound GVW trucks so they ask them to use the left lane, which is the former right traffic lane.

I take either lane with my 7,000 pound GVW tow vehicle (which is usually not fully loaded) and my 4,000 pound GVW trailer.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
When I see that sign out west, I'm told it's because the road is crummy and the additional weight will trash it even more.
That pretty much describes the PA turnpike!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
If you don't want to destroy your rig, get in the left lane and stay the h**l off that washboard shoulder. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There's also the possibility the lane trucks are being warned away from is narrower than the other lane. I've noticed this a few times, so now I move into the "truck lane" to take advantage of the width.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
That pretty much describes the PA turnpike!
Ah, a veteran I see!

Good discussion. Of course what I do depends on the situation - if one lane is wider, I'll head for that lane. I didn't think about the weight issue at all, but that makes a lot of sense.

My general problem with these signs is that they basically "invert" the normal traffic flow - slower people are now to the left and faster to the right. Unfortunately there are plenty of cars that don't get the hint, and suddenly now both lanes are going well under the speed limit. With the B190 while towing a car, I used to just follow the directions for trucks, figuring it would be wider or smoother, and because I was usually going slower than the cars.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Last year we hit some construction north bound on I59 in Alabama. All traffic was sharing the northbound side so some of the traffic was on the shoulder, some in lane 1; the two streams were separated by the big temporary concrete walls they use. I tried staying right, on what is normally the shoulder, as the construction company has made it a little wider with a few inches of black stuff added on the right hand side. The trouble was that the extended area was a couple of inches lower than the shoulder and the wheels of the Airstream kept dropping down to the lower level; not fun at 50mph and with the prospect of 15 more miles of the construction to go. Then I realised that all the heavy trucks were in the left lane, tucked up against the wall; obviously they were having the same problem and felt happier hugging the concrete wall. I moved over and whilst it was a long 15 miles being so close to the wall on the left, at least the trailer kept straight and true.

The moral of the story? Do what the truckers do; they have the experience.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad
Last year we hit some construction north bound on I59 in Alabama. All traffic was sharing the northbound side so some of the traffic was on the shoulder, some in lane 1; the two streams were separated by the big temporary concrete walls they use. I tried staying right, on what is normally the shoulder, as the construction company has made it a little wider with a few inches of black stuff added on the right hand side. The trouble was that the extended area was a couple of inches lower than the shoulder and the wheels of the Airstream kept dropping down to the lower level; not fun at 50mph and with the prospect of 15 more miles of the construction to go. Then I realised that all the heavy trucks were in the left lane, tucked up against the wall; obviously they were having the same problem and felt happier hugging the concrete wall. I moved over and whilst it was a long 15 miles being so close to the wall on the left, at least the trailer kept straight and true.

The moral of the story? Do what the truckers do; they have the experience.
Good call.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote