Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Trip to Jackson Center OH

Thursday early we left Austin heading north to Jackson Center Ohio to get our Airstream trailer floor and bumper leak repaired. It had already started raining late Wednesday. We are now in the 4th day of almost solid rain. Our first event happened turning onto the interstate access road after a brief stop in north Austin. We heard a "bump" sound. "What's that?". "A pothole" was the answer. So we continued on to Little Rock Air Force Base for the first night. At a Walmart stop along the way I noticed a new "wrinkle" in the back skin that was not there before. That was my clue that the pothole was not a small incident. Apparently, the trailer shell in the rear was "slammed" down hard enough to wrinkle the skin in back and probably undo any still existing seal between the trailer and floor. Well -- we are on our way to the factory; we will see what they say about it.

Heavy rain all day Thursday, and we arrived at Little Rock. No sites were available, but we could dry camp and use the shower house facilities. After parking, another camper told us our right rear tire was flat. In the rain, changed the tire. This was the first time I have had to change the tire and use the spare. At Walmart the next day, we inflated the tire and found the tire cord completely broke. The tire was out of round, twisted, and leaking. Obviously, the pothole incident was more serious than I thought. It was severe enough to completely destroy a tire.

At Little Rock we settled in to sleep and get up early the next AM. Sleeping soundly, we got a loud knock on the door at about 10:30PM. Security Police were there saying we had to evacuate the campground; the base lake was overflowing. Fortunately we had not unhooked. We had to wade through about 8" of water from the trailer to the truck We decided to get on the road again toward Ohio. The rain and storms were just too severe to continue down the interstate. After midnight we stopped at a rest area to sleep the rest of the night. Torrential rains continued all night long, but we were safe.

Thursday night we pulled into Camp Carlson campground at Fort Knox, KY. We will stay here Saturday and continue on the Jackson Center, OH on Sunday. Our leaks are more severe now. The flooring under the cabinets are completely soaked. We've found other wet spots that we have never seen before. The repairs will be more significant than we previously thought.

What next?
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
wow, i am/was stressed just reading...

Look on the guardian angle (sp intended) side! You are okay, the police got you evacuated before the trailer was totally flooded, you were able to park overnight(s) okay, you changed the tire while raining, but not in 8 inches of water....seems to me you are on a positive experience! Chin up, you have the entire forum's attention right now-we are all hoping and wishing for you a successful venture-hang in there-the worst is behind you. What a story for grand kids/family-even without golden years embellishment.

ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We Arrived at Airstream, Jackson Center

We arrived Jackson Center from Ft Knox Kentucky on Sunday afternoon at about 3PM. What a clean town!. We parked at the Terraport and discovered that our 10' sewer hose was not long enough. Apparently, the long trailers 30' + have no problem but us shorties need a little help. We made a quick trip to the Wapakoneta Walmart up the interstate and we had the 15' hose needed. By the time we got back several more trailers had arrived. It was cold that evening...about 35deg.

The next morning I went to the service entrance at 7AM and got "ticket" number so that the John Deere tractor could pick me up. He was there at about 7:20 and we were quickly in the shop. You get a little chill and sad feeling watching your trailer towed off to the "hospital".

It will take them at least a week to make the repairs so we will do some touring around the area. We got the factory tour at 2PM Monday. Impressive! Awfully nice folks here. Our assigned mechanic, Ron, had the entire interior stripped down and emptied in about 6 hours. We were truly amazed at the these folks' expertise and progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035_2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	90278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	90279  

Name:	IMG_0040_2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	90280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	90281  

Name:	IMG_0031pan.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	90282  
Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
We arrived Jackson Center from Ft Knox Kentucky on Sunday afternoon at about 3PM. What a clean town!.

It will take them at least a week to make the repairs so we will do some touring around the area. We got the factory tour at 2PM Monday. Impressive! Awfully nice folks here. Our assigned mechanic, Ron, had the entire interior stripped down and emptied in about 6 hours. We were truly amazed at the these folks' expertise and progress.
Around the corner is Henschen. You go east from Airstream, turn left at the signal light, and go a little north, as they are just down the street, on the right, maybe a half mile.

Call for Jim Kitzmiller on Thursday (he is out of town) for a axle plant tour.

Mention my name to him, and you could also get a cup of coffee.

Oh yes, please say "Hi" to Don Ambose for me.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
Just left there about a month ago... What an incredible group of compenent people that have the resources to fix just about anything that is broken and more importantly the know how to do it....Wayne, one of their techs has worked there 49 years I believe...Amazing... I will be shocked if you leave Jackson Center anything other than completely satisified...(and somewhat poorer)....Be sure to go next door to Hobo's for breakfast....
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
The Axle Place

Thanks for the tip Andy. Yep...We saw the axle place. I guess they are GKN now?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	90291  
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Andy. Yep...We saw the axle place. I guess they are GKN now?
Just curious as to what was the total story once you got to the factory??
You mention water, etc..
What was the reason given and, what repairs needed?
Do you mind sharing?
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Just curious as to what was the total story once you got to the factory??
You mention water, etc..
What was the reason given and, what repairs needed?
Do you mind sharing?
Well...I had a complete disentegration of the rear floor underneath the cabinets from a leak that I now think existed - undetected - for a number of years. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ybe-56674.html I also discovered water coming in from a poor seal around the furnace vent. All this damage was hidden by the plastic covered carpet under the cabinets. I know better now ---- but too late. The problem I think is that the rear seal was broken. They have not pulled off the rub rail yet to verify that, but that's what they think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	90293  
Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Smile Thanks...

Quote:
Well...I had a complete disentegration of the rear floor underneath the cabinets from a leak that I now think existed - undetected - for a number of years. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ybe-56674.html I also discovered water coming in from a poor seal around the furnace vent. All this damage was hidden by the plastic covered carpet under the cabinets. I know better now ---- but too late. The problem I think is that the rear seal was broken. They have not pulled off the rub rail yet to verify that, but that's what they think.
I feel for you.
Man, that's got to be painful. AND, not what you would expect from an Airstream product this new.
I would ask pointed questions, in light of all the other 22 ft Airstream owners having problems with frame cracks, etc..
Thanks for sharing..I wish you a good resolve on this..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Geeze, what a tragedy for you and your trailer. I know the feeling of having your trailer coach in the "hospital". Your's may need some "critical care" and couldn't be at a better place. I was there in September and can't say enough good things about the guys in service.

If you haven't been a little south to Sidney yet, you may enjoy checking out the historic town square area for kicks. Two cool places to eat are The Spot and Toon P Wiggins Bistro.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tank', after that trip there you deserve better news.

If you go to Sidney, In Good Taste is another place for breakfast. Haven't tried it for any other meal. It's just west of the town square on the south side of the street. Big on coffees and beer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Go to Dayton to The Air and Space Museum at Wright / Patterson AFB for a free day (or 2) for something to do if you haven't been there yet. You can go nuts in JC if you stay there more than 3 days. You got a 1 screen movie Theater, Hobos, The drive thru food place, the gas station store, Hardware Store...then your close to done. It is amazing to go to Patterson/Wright...and free. About 1 1/2 hr from the factory...we got a cheap Hotel for 35 bucks and also did the various Wright Brother exibits the 2nd day.

Jim
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2 View Post
You got a 1 screen movie Theater, Hobos, The drive thru food place, the gas station store, Hardware Store...then your close to done.
Jim
If you are there on the right day of the month you can visit the JC museum, east of factory and across street. If I remember right it is the second or third Sunday afternoon.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Jackson Center Historical Society Museum - September 2009

Jackson Center Historical Society Museum - September 2009
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09-19-2009 (513) 2800.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	527.5 KB
ID:	90415  
Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2 View Post
You can go nuts in JC if you stay there more than 3 days.

Jim
For some of us it happens faster. This may explain the QC problems at the factory.

There's also the Verandah, a decent restaurant about a block from the service center building and a Subway.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Vernadah, Jackson Center, Ohio September 2009

In 1955 my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, and I arrived in Jackson Center for the first time. We stayed at Mrs. Rogers Boarding House. Prior to that both Andy and Tim Charles stayed there. And possibly even Wally Byam, don't know but possible.

Before Mrs. Rogers had her boarding house the building was a school house.

Today it is the Verndah. This is one great upscale resturant. They are open for lunch during the week and on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday they are open for great dinner meals. You can check with them for their hours and days.

This is a stopping off place for dinner for many western Ohio residents.

Try it, great food, hospitable, and nice ambience.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09-10-2009 (452) 2800.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	90416  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Bicycle museum

If you have more time to kill go and see the Bicycle Museum at New Bremen. It is about 20 min. away maybe. That was a cool place to see! Nice community.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
John Glenn, Astronaut Museum

Just up the road is the town of Wapakoneta, birth town of John Glenn and a museum celebrating him.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
In 1955 my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, and I arrived in Jackson Center for the first time. We stayed at Mrs. Rogers Boarding House. Prior to that both Andy and Tim Charles stayed there. And possibly even Wally Byam, don't know but possible.

Before Mrs. Rogers had her boarding house the building was a school house.

Today it is the Verndah. This is one great upscale resturant. They are open for lunch during the week and on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday they are open for great dinner meals. You can check with them for their hours and days.

This is a stopping off place for dinner for many western Ohio residents.

Try it, great food, hospitable, and nice ambience.
Thanks PeeWee, I've just added this place to my itenerary. I like good food in places with history.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Just up the road is the town of Wapakoneta, birth town of John Glenn and a museum celebrating him.
I think you meant to say birthplace/museum of "Neil Armstrong" (first man to walk on the moon), versus John Glenn (first American to orbit the earth).

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote