Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2005, 01:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
Exclamation Trip Report

Well we are back from our first trip out in 1 and 1/2 years. The reason for the long delay between trips was I have had Esophageal Cancer and have just started getting my strength back after surgery a year ago. We left home on the 27th of May to go to Marianne's Mother's house for her 75th birthday. First day out we stopped mid way at Grandpa's Farm in the east most part of Indiana. It's a quaint and small campground off the beaten path, yet in easy reach of the highway (I-70). We didn't have reservations and I was worried that being the holiday weekend that we might have problems, however, the folks in charge managed to fit us in with no problems. A very friendly place and highly recommended.
The next day we made it on in to Washington PA, where we were to stay for 4 nights before starting home. We stayed at the Washington KOA. IF road noise does not bother you then this is a viable campground and the rates were not too bad for a holiday weekend. For us coming in from the country and not being able to see our nearest neighbor it was simply to noisy for us. It is located right at the confluence of I-70 and I-79 so the road noise comes from two directions. On the bright side while we were in the area we scouted a small older campground that is off the highway and in the country that we will use the next time we go in.
On Wednesday we started back for home with a three day stop planned for Dayton OH and the Air Force Museum. Here we stayed on the Air Base (we're both retired military) at the Fam Camp. If you can stay there we highly recommend it as well. For me the highlight of the trip is always the museum as I get to see some of the projects that I worked on while in the AF and learn that I can actually tell Marianne what I was truly doing all the days spent away from home. If you like aviation or the military in general you really need to see this museum. Plan two days, three if ones a Friday would be even better.
On a final note up until this year we had been pulling with a F-150, after upgrading to a F-250 with a Powerstroke I find that I am much more relaxed driving. Seems the truck rides better and is more stable, not to mention has scads of power.
Lessons Learned:
1. No matter how many lists you make, how hard you try to remember what you took last time you will forget something important.
2. The tools you carry are not the ones you need.
3. check the band clamps on the drain hose _before every_ dump. If you don't that will be the time the clamp was loose.
4. Hook up the night before you leave, it makes leaving so much easier and you don't start out tired.
5. Make sure you have all your discount cards (Good Sam, KOA, Flying J and your ERS card) with you.
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
In complete...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeith54
Well we are back from our first trip out in 1 and 1/2 years. The reason for the long delay between trips was I have had Esophageal Cancer and have just started getting my strength back after surgery a year ago. We left home on the 27th of May to go to Marianne's Mother's house for her 75th birthday. First day out we stopped mid way at Grandpa's Farm in the east most part of Indiana. It's a quaint and small campground off the beaten path, yet in easy reach of the highway (I-70). We didn't have reservations and I was worried that being the holiday weekend that we might have problems, however, the folks in charge managed to fit us in with no problems. A very friendly place and highly recommended.
The next day we made it on in to Washington PA, where we were to stay for 4 nights before starting home. We stayed at the Washington KOA. IF road noise does not bother you then this is a viable campground and the rates were not too bad for a holiday weekend. For us coming in from the country and not being able to see our nearest neighbor it was simply to noisy for us. It is located right at the confluence of I-70 and I-79 so the road noise comes from two directions. On the bright side while we were in the area we scouted a small older campground that is off the highway and in the country that we will use the next time we go in.
On Wednesday we started back for home with a three day stop planned for Dayton OH and the Air Force Museum. Here we stayed on the Air Base (we're both retired military) at the Fam Camp. If you can stay there we highly recommend it as well. For me the highlight of the trip is always the museum as I get to see some of the projects that I worked on while in the AF and learn that I can actually tell Marianne what I was truly doing all the days spent away from home. If you like aviation or the military in general you really need to see this museum. Plan two days, three if ones a Friday would be even better.
On a final note up until this year we had been pulling with a F-150, after upgrading to a F-250 with a Powerstroke I find that I am much more relaxed driving. Seems the truck rides better and is more stable, not to mention has scads of power.
Lessons Learned:
1. No matter how many lists you make, how hard you try to remember what you took last time you will forget something important.
2. The tools you carry are not the ones you need.
3. check the band clamps on the drain hose _before every_ dump. If you don't that will be the time the clamp was loose.
4. Hook up the night before you leave, it makes leaving so much easier and you don't start out tired.
5. Make sure you have all your discount cards (Good Sam, KOA, Flying J and your ERS card) with you.
Mike,
First, glad to hear you're feeling better~!!
Your comments abt the KOA was well written and, having stayed there once myself 3 yrs ago, I see things haven't changed much~ I agree completely with you abt the staff being very friendly,etc..(Did you find driving up the hills in the campground fun??)
Funny you should mention abt the clamps on the hose..Just the other day I was telling someone just how important that issue was....Things like that could make you an unwelcome neighbor...lol
Excellent point abt having all your discount cards lined up...Seems to be the one thing I keep forgetting..
Enjoy and, travel well~!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote