Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2021, 05:33 AM   #1

Ormond Beach , Florida
Trip Planning & Route Tool

Hi, I'm looking for some advice/recommendations on which trip planning and/or route tool you use. Here’s my dilemma…We had a 35’ class A Tiffin for 4 years and I used the following products, which I’ve become very familiar with. We bought the Garmin RV760 (which we sold when we sold the Class A). Also used Garmin’s Basecamp on my Mac, which I know most will agree does not have an easy learning curve but I have gotten pretty familiar with it. And I also bought the lifetime product of Route-1 Low Clearance product (for bridge heights), which gives me a lot of comfort because I’m able to import it into my Basecamp and then ultimately it is downloaded, along with my route maps, into my RV760. We were planning to do some INTL travel when we sold our Class A, but with COVID we decided to buy an Airstream instead and now I’m looking to buy a new Garmin unit (possibly the 890 or 1090) and continue to use Basecamp and the Route-1 Low Clearance. HOWEVER, I’m intrigued with the RV Trip Wizard and I
’ve heard some good things about it, but I’m also a bit concerned about how much the renewal will cost after year 1 ??? I also believe I can use RVTW to download the routes from it to my Garmin too, correct? If so, this is good, but I’m not sure it’s as good (or inclusive) as the Route-1 product when it comes to low clearance bridges? Does anyone simply use RVTW as a supplement to a Garmin using Basecamp and Route-1 or is that overkill? Thanks in advance for advice/recommendations.
bigburgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum. These "trip planning tools site:airforums.com" search results will reveal probably dozens of threads/posts which may be helpful IMO:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trip...=airforums.com

We use a spiral-bound road atlas like this, and the trucker's atlas is also recommended as good "old school" solutions:

https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-...0046516&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.com/McNally-Delux...0046599&sr=8-3

Great for kids and grand-kids to use also, and to follow along on the trip IMO.

No electricity or Internet required!

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
As a lighter alternative to RV Trip Wizard, try Google Maps.
Not the maps you find in images. There's a tool that's quite powerful and free. (If I can say free and Google in the same sentence)
For me, RV Trip Wizard does so much, I almost feel I'm obligated to plan it's trip, not mine. It doesn't like change.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote