Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2024, 06:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Question Trip Planning

We did a +5,000 mile trip last year and the CTP (chief trip planner) worked days on getting all of the details ironed out.

She's asked if we could get trip planning software. Which one software package would you get for a 6,000 mile trip from Florida to Colorado to Kansas and back to Florida with stops along the way to visit national and state parks would you recommend? It would be a bonus if it was both mobile app and had a web equivalent.

Thanks.
englewoodfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I use RV Trip Wizard and would recommend it.
https://tripwizard.rvlife.com/
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I prefer to “wing it”, most of the time, taking the back roads rather than the major highways.

I use the Pocket Earth app for navigation and the AllStays app or https://freecampsites.net/ for finding same day campgrounds or other overnight stopping places.

Keep water in your tanks and adequate propane, you can then roam at will and with your house on your back can dry camp on a beautiful river or in a shaded forest preserve if the opportunity presents itself.

Just offering an alternative.

Have a great trip.

Maggie
Old 05-04-2024, 10:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Lakewood , Washington
Good sam

If you have a Good Sam membership, take advantage of their "Trip Planner". They have 3 categories (GS, Public & private) of recommended campgrounds along your route. Setup a destination point A to B and then add a campground say some 300 miles away from Point A and insert to make a new point B & C. It will give you directions in each block. You can e-mail the entire trip to yourself and use your cell phone along the way.
Old 05-04-2024, 01:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: Trip Planning

Greetings englewoodfl!

When I returned to traveling after a seven year plus hiatus due to health issues, I was saddened to learn that my long-time planning and travel tool had been discontinued. I had used the Rand McNally North American Travel planner that loaded on my Laptop computer and interfaced with the GPS antenna that connected to the Laptop and rested on the dash of my tow vehicle. That application offered everything that I needed -- it avoided Interstates if at all possible, substandard bridges, low-clearance underpasses, roads that did not permit RVs/travel trailers as well as several options that I could select to avoid for some routes.

I tried numerous i-Phone Apps, and found them equally if not more frustrating to operate and use than the i-Phone (that I owned) and the Macintosh computer that a friend owns. One year of trying to cope with that nonsense, I purchased a Garmin RV 795 GPS, and it solved most of my problems. It isn't particularly friendly as a stand-alone planning tool, but works quite well when combined with a good atlas. It allows me to set all of my necessary "avoidance" items as well as helps with finding campgrounds, restaurants, and fuel stations. I have found it quite useful in pre-planning before I leave using my Rand McNally paper Road Atlas along with the online Good Sam Campground Guide to confirm campground information, and in today's world to make advance reservations as needed.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:00 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , VA
I'm a long time user of AAA's TripTik planner, and recently opened an account with RVLife and their trip planner is fantastic. Highly recommend both.
Rotor_Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:42 PM   #7
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
When I was driving a semi cross country, trip planning was probably the most time-consuming task next to actually driving. It was also the most important - the few times I tried to cheat or take short cuts on trip planning were the times I found myself in problem spots or without a good way out of somewhere.

My preferred method is to use a combination - an app such as RV Parky (or whatever they call it nowadays), Harvest Host, KOA, etc. depending on the type of places I plan to stay/stop and a good RV or Semi GPS system like the Garmin dezl or RV models. Then I follow up with a look though my truck drivers atlas to be sure that nothing has been missed, and for any problem areas or concerns I might fly through the route using Google Street View to confirm I won't run into problems.

The Street View bit is where I can visually check out the entrances/exits at fuel stops, shopping areas, tourist places, etc since you can often catch things like very steep driveway entrances, tight turns, etc. Just be careful to check the date on the images since sometimes they are old.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
RV Trip Planner

The CTP (chief trip planner) is going to try RV Trip Planner today. She'll use her big workstation rather than an iPhone or iPad. With all the tabs using a small device would be awkward. Looks like RVTP they must sponsor a number of Tubers as several have codes for 25% off. Ideas on who's channel discount we should use?
Old 05-05-2024, 07:35 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post

The Street View bit is where I can visually check out the entrances/exits at fuel stops, shopping areas, tourist places, etc since you can often catch things like very steep driveway entrances, tight turns, etc. Just be careful to check the date on the images since sometimes they are old.
This is what I do as well.

We use RV Life Trip Wizard primarily for mapping etc.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:14 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
So far mostly good

She utilized her Windows 11 workstation to get started yesterday with RV Trip Planner (RVTP). I set it up and there weren't any notes about location so I answered block when it first started although it was on our secure network that uses a VPN end point. This caused problems as the software wants location data. Switched over to the standard network and then had to get into security settings and enable the site to access location.

RVTP is a little tricky as on every stop you need to select the previous location but she finally got the hang of it. Found one unusual thing - you could see the La Junta campground when zoomed out but it disappeared when I started zooming in. All other locations OK. She also changed from circles to the "squiggles" radius but couldn't switch back to circles.

With a 25% YT coupon cost isn't too bad.

Happy CTP, happy life.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
We use RV Trip Wizard, now called RV Life. It's web-based, and you can use the app as well on iPads, etc. We also use Google maps, so it's easier on a desktop with lots of tabs open. RV Trip Wizard lets you print the entire trip, so you can have a paper copy in case of no Internet.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:54 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Excel

I also got it to export an Excel spreadsheet that opened in LibreOffice. No control where it went - was in the user Download folder. A good summary with lots of info columns.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
You are right, I forgot about that. You can also share trips with other RVTW users, via email.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:31 AM   #14
Jwf
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2018 33' Classic
Ashburn , VA
I use RoadTrippers

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roadtrippers
Jwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fayetteville , Arizona
Trip planning

I used the good Sam trip planner until I came across RV trip Wizard. I think it’s much better.
akarakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Another planning tool that works reasonably well is RVParky. Trip Wizard is $65 a year, RVParky is $20/year or $5/month. I used Parky exclusively until I was gifted a Trip Wizard subscription. I used Parky to find parks to stay in and then moved the trip into Garmin's Basecamp to "tune" the route and then loaded the route into my GPS unit.
You can use Parky for free but each "trip" can only have 3 stops. I suppose you could do a longer trip by stringing together a bunch of 3 segment trips. You do have to give them an e-mail address to get into the app, but I have never gotten any junk mail from them...

TripWizard has a free 7 day trial, so you can try both to see which you would like best.
https://www.rvparky.com
https://tripwizard.rvlife.com

Safe travels.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I tend to be more of a manual planner, using excel, along with google maps and an atlas.

One thing I have noticed its that google maps works in real time when you are using it. So if you are planning a trip for summer, but planning in winter it won't utilize roads that are closed (in winter, like in some National Parks). Something to know.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:10 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodfl View Post
The CTP (chief trip planner) is going to try RV Trip Planner today. She'll use her big workstation rather than an iPhone or iPad. With all the tabs using a small device would be awkward. Looks like RVTP they must sponsor a number of Tubers as several have codes for 25% off. Ideas on who's channel discount we should use?
OP, Can you say specifically which service you’re trying now? Is it RVLife Trip Wizard? Searching for RV Trip Planner gives me many and varied results, and RVTP gives nothing related to the real question.

Thanks!
WizardOfAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:37 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
The CTP is using RV Life Trip Wizard. Got a 25% discount with a coupon code from one of the YouTube channels - she liked the ladies presentation.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:20 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks!
WizardOfAZ is offline   Reply With Quote