Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Trip Planning

Hi fellow Airstreamers!!

We are planning a 2-month trip! We will be leaving from North Carolina and would like to go to Idaho and back.

We'd like to stay in National Parks and any other place that's fun and interesting.

Does anyone have suggestions to start to plan our adventure?

Thanks So Much!

The Menakers and Mr. Schuester (the lovable Labradoodle)
pollymenaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Visit the area around Custer, SD. Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower.
Cody, WY has the Buffalo Bill museum. Lots to see.
Then there is Yellowstone NP and Teton NP.
Bear Tooth Hwy from Cody into Montana is an incredible drive. Leave your coach in Cody. It's a good day trip over the Bear Tooth Hwy
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Absolutely agree with TG Twinkie. We are about 300 miles from Custer State Park now. This is our second trip from Knoxville, TN in two years. I’d also consider Glacier NP in Montana and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Boise, Idaho is a wonderful place too. They have a great greenway/biking trail that runs with the river and downtown. There are lovely parks and even a zoo you can visit, or hop off the trail and grab a coffee or lunch in town. There is a thread on here with great information about traveling the north/south routes thru Idaho. Have fun and safe travels.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Lots to see in a small area of SD as others have said. Badlands, on the surface, looks dreary but in reality is colorful with diverse scenery and wildlife. Of course Rushmore too and Black Hills. Don’t miss Devil’s Tower on the way by - seems like it would be just a big rock sticking up but we stayed several days and enjoyed it.

Yellowstone and Teton are awesome and close together and “on the way.”

Southern Utah is a playground unto itself with Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce, Zion and much, muuch more.

Southern Idaho has a “relatively flatter” southern portion of the state as the caldron that is now Yellowstone passed through there over go-zillions of years. It left Craters on the Moon that is a huge lava field. Northern Idaho where I90 goes into WA state is a heck of a mountain pass as I recall.

Have fun and be SAFE!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Glacier is on fire but we are headed that direction next week from Boise to stay in the Flathead Lake area. Plans to venture into Glacier could be cancelled. Tetons are incredible. Not sure how far you want to venture into Idaho but The Sawtooths around Stanley are incredible (it gets cold there real soon). Farther south is City of Rocks National Reserve and Castle Rocks State Park where we will land for a few days for the first time in October. Harriman State Park is on our list to visit as well. Craters of the Moon is worth the visit if you are driving that way. There is a KOA in Arco, ID where we are staying en route to Montana next week since we are leaving late on day 1. Would offer parking in Boise if I could.
Have fun
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
RV Trip Wizard was a great place for us to plan a trip from Oregon to Florida.
QDPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I use the trip planner on the Good Sam site. Lots of good tools to find things. We were in South Dakota last summer and loved it. You can visit one of the Missile Silos from the Cold war era. Consider Glacier NP in Montana as well.
Also, you will see enough signs along the way that you will HAVE to stop in Wall Drug!
Have fun,
Old 08-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I switched from the Good Sam Planner to RV Trip Wizard and much prefer it. They have added a "Research" tab that does a good job of identifying POI. Wizard, in my opinion, shows more campgrounds as well. It is a "wrapper" on Google Maps so there are some things about it that I don't like, but I still prefer it to Good Sam. My favorite feature is the distance rings that help you pick stops along the way on a long trip. They are "as the crow flies" not road mileage, but I find them very useful. Picking stops at intervals is harder on Good Sam.

We just did Crater Lake, the Oregon Coast, Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Tetons. The good news is we got out before there were any fires there. Yellowstone was the most crowded; parking was not available at several places we would have liked to stop. Tetons were amazing as was Crater Lake, and Glacier. Get up early if you want to see wildlife. We made reservations for the entire 6 week trip, June into July, back in April.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I switched from the Good Sam Planner to RV Trip Wizard and much prefer it. They have added a "Research" tab that does a good job of identifying POI. Wizard, in my opinion, shows more campgrounds as well. It is a "wrapper" on Google Maps so there are some things about it that I don't like, but I still prefer it to Good Sam. My favorite feature is the distance rings that help you pick stops along the way on a long trip. They are "as the crow flies" not road mileage, but I find them very useful. Picking stops at intervals is harder on Good Sam.
Al

Agree.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote