Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
lafayette , Louisiana
Month will fly by

Hope you can make that circle in a month. Looks like you can go down Interstate 70 to Denver and go up I-25 to I-90 and across to Northern part of Yellowstone--then back down I-80 to Denver and I-25 south to Sante fe or turn east around Pueblo Co. to Amarillo Texas--visit west Texas and work you way home--maybe add an extra month--good luck and great travels
oldcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Another vote for taking more time if you can find it. We do portions of that itinerary every year. Our trips are typically 6,000 miles and about 7 weeks. Even at that, we don't stay anywhere long.

That said, here are some thoughts...

Do Texas on the way out then head north and come home across the northern route (I'd recommend South Dakota). That follows the weather better. We've done Yellowstone in late June. Sure, it's crowded but it's still worth it.

Some spots to consider in roughly the order you'd reach them...

Mesa Verde NP, Page Arizona (Antelope Canyon, Glen Canyon Dam), Grand Canyon NP (north rim is more on your route but has less to do), Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Capital Reef NP, Arches NP and Moab UT, Firehole Canyon Campground (USFS in the Ashley National Forest), Jackson WY and Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone, Custer State Park in South Dakota.

In between each of those spots are about 100 worthwhile things to see and do, but those are some spots we've been to and would put on our "must see" list.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorii View Post
Thanks. Good advice. Does sound like two trips now. Now to the planning!
If I understood you correctly earlier, maybe you could post about the two trips and their timing, as you see them taking you . . .

If the Tetons and Yosemite are now on the back burner for trip #2, it might help get comments directed to trip #1 coming up this Fall.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- You might consider starting a new thread, with more specific trip #1 guidelines in the original post. With so many users having mobile devices, the first Post #1 is often what triggers the replies, even if the original poster has refined the trip in later posts.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Agree with GammaDog. Did a very similar trip last year - across the south, turn north at AZ, turn east at MT and turn southeast at MN. Things I would not miss include Mongollon Reef area in AZ, Hoover Dam, Kyle Canyon area of NV, every inch of State HWY 12 through Utah (stop at every National Park along this route), Mesa Falls ID, Grand Tetons WY, Big Horn Mountains WY.

Notice I did not mention some of the big name national parks including Grand Canyon and Yellow Stone. I did stay at both, but to my surprise these were not the highlight of my adventure. I really enjoyed the natural beauty of the remote areas mentioned above more than the over-crowded big name parks. I'm not saying don't stop at Yellowstone and Grand Canyon, I'm saying to get off the interstates and onto the back roads away from the crowds to find the real beauty of the country.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Marysville , Ohio
I think you are right on breaking it up into two trips. We did a 2 week trip last summer from Ohio to Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Tetons, then back home thru Colorado. Our only regret was not enough time! We went in June, which was a wonderful time for Yellowstone(there always seem to be crowds). The temperature was perfect during the day, the animals were still in the valleys and hadn't headed for the hills yet, and the waterfalls/rivers still had a good amount of water in them. I have seen Yellowstone in all its seasons- you can't go wrong with any of them!

Enjoy it-Boom
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Ariton , Alabama
You might want to consider a park pass, which would save some money.

Prescott AZ north of PHX west off I-17 has lots to see. Significant Old West history. Museums. Go north from there on Hwy 89 to I-40, turning east towards Williams. Don't know if they still do it, but most places stay open late till 9(?) for their visitors. The Grand Canyon Railway runs from Williams to Canyon. Check out their website for schedules.

Grand Canyon: There are RV parks at Williams on I-40 @ Hwy 64 to Canyon. After Canyon, you could take 64 East to Hwy 89 (north of Flagstaff, turning north towards Utah).

There's a settlement, Cameron, on the Navajo Reservation, which has a historic old trading post on west side of highway. Check out the "Hidden Garden". Continuing north on 89 towards Utah is Page AZ and Lake Powell. Once in Utah will be Kanab. Must see is Denny's, another trading post with lots of history including old westerns made in the area. Denny's has some museum qualities to it. Research the "Golden Circle" I think it's called. Bryce Canyon is beautiful as well. If I remember correctly, there are five points to visit in the circle.

Just a few suggestions...
Judith
JudithLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Trip Out West

We did a trip from NC to Yellowstone and the Tetons in 2015. Went in July, crowded but weather was good. Hot during the day but cool at night.

Not sure what route you will take out, but we went through the Wisconsin Dells area. Some parts are touristy but the boat ride through the Dells is really worth the time. While there we stayed at Country Roads RV Park, which was nice.

Mount Rushmore is a must see. We went at night the first day we were there to see the program and the lighting of the monument. Very impressive. We went back the next day to take in everything during the day.

We also enjoyed Cody, Wyoming on our way to Yellowstone's East entrance. There is a really nice State Park just outside of Cody on the way to Yellowstone that does some reservations and some first come first serve camping. It is Buffalo Bill State Park, not far from the Buffalo Bill Dam. The park has camping with great views of the Cheyenne River, the scenic Wapiti Valley with its panoramic views of the Absaroka Range. Buffalo Bill State Park is only about 35 miles from the East entrance to Yellowstone.

If you can it is also fun to go to Thermopolis, Wy. and see the Hot Springs State Park with the world's largest mineral hot springs. Well worth the time. Wind your way out of Thermopolis down the Wind River Valley. The Wind River Canyon Scenic Byway is located along U.S. Highway 20 between the towns of Shoshoni and Thermopolis Wyoming, and is a very popular 34 mile drive through the incredible Wind River Canyon and Boysen Reservoir. This is considered one of the most scenic drives in Wyoming.

Just some ideas of things we really enjoyed. Hope this is helpful.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Far West , Texas
Welcome to my neck of the woods

Another awesome thing to do out here in West Texas is attend one of the McDonald Observatory Stargazing Parties. It is not too far from the Davis Mountains and Balmorhea but they do require reservations.

https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/visi...s/star-parties

Also, check out Monahans Sandhills State Park - http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/monahans-sandhills
Old 03-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #29
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Depending on the dates of your travel, you might consider dropping in on the Balloon Fiesta. If you want to join the Airstream group, make reservations now. Pat

For information See http://balloonfiestarally.wbcci.net/
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
A month isn't much time for such a long trip, but here's a plan. To begin go west on I-70 to KC, north on I-29 to Sioux Falls, then west on I-90 to Rapid City. Go fast...not a lot to see here. At R.C. go south to Mt. Rushmore. Then north to Deadwood. West again on I-90 to Sundance, then optional short detour up to Devil's Tower (Close Encounters of 3rd Kind). Back on I-90 head to Ranchester, turn west onto US14 to Yellowstone. Stop in Cody on the way. See the museum, maybe a rodeo. Plan on at least a few days in Yellowstone. Lotsa history, things to see. It didn't become the nations first national park for nothin' ya know. On leaving Yellowstone go south on 191 to Jackson Hole passing the Tetons on the way. At Jackson, take historic wagon road over the hill to Victor then to Idaho Falls. From there take I-15 to SLC. At Tremonton take optional detour west to Promontory Pt. historical park where Golden Spike was driven.
After SLC and Mormon heritage sites there are many parks in Utah worth seeing, but you don't have time for them all. I'd suggest the two best: Bryce Canyon and Zion N.P.'s. After Zion you can pick up I-15 again to Las Vegas. At LV, take I-515 & US-93 over the bridge at Boulder Dam, then down to Kingman. For scenic diversion take old 99 east to Seligman, then I-40 toward Flagstaff and north on 94 to the Grand Canyon. Continue east on I-40 after returning to Flagstaff, short detours go to Walnut Canyon (cliff bldgs), giant meteor crater, and Petrified Forest NP. Staying on I-40 of course will get you to NM and eventually west Texas. You know the rest of the way home. Have fun; be safe!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
You know the rest of the way home. Have fun; be safe!
Phew! I'm tired of driving just reading this post!
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
All the suggestions are really great. Also, take note of the earlier comments in this posting. We have seen most of these places in earlier years. Now, with my husband's inability to walk well, we have to go to places he can enjoy from the vehicle.
\As well as all the suggestions, we enjoy Yosemite Nat'l Park, even just driving through. Monument Valley, Canyonlands Natl. Park. The drive from Durango, Silverton and Ouray is not to be missed. Have a wonderful trip and you will.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
I really appreciate how generous you folks have been to take the time to provide this information. Every comment will be digested and used in the planning. I am now convinced for sure that this is at least two trips at this point.
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Grand Tetons...stay at Colter Bay. Roomy sites with full hookups. Yellowstone...Fishing Bridge CG is really tight. Only stay one night to dump tanks and fill fresh water. Stay elsewhere in Yellowstone otherwise. You could try Flagg Ranch between Yellowstone and Tetons. Stayed there a long time ago and visited both parks from there.

It wasn't on your itinerary but you might want to consider Glacier National Park. Its one our favorites. We've also done the "Grand Circle" of Utah. Very spectacular. Bryce and Zion will take your breath way.

Looks like you will need a couple more months!

Cheers,
Old 03-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you're going to Mt. Rushmore, you must see Custer State Park just south of it. Don't bring the RV because the tunnels and pigtail bridges are too small. (we watched a smaller bus go through but he had to fold his mirrors in and then had maybe an inch on each side)
However, the wildlife is fantastic, the food in the lodges is outstanding (not a NP) and be sure to do the loop road.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
In general I agree with those who opine that a month is not enough time to do what you want.

This map of the "optimal road trip to the lower-48 national parks" may offer perspective:

http://rhiever.github.io/optimal-roa...-47-parks.html

You could "drive your eyes out" to southern Colorado, do what you have time for there and in Utah, and turn around. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Good luck, have fun!
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
...and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is accessible from the north (duh) so you might work that in.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Limited
bayville , New Jersey
We have done 5 mid-west & pacific west over the last fer years from NJ in a MH. A one month trip from MD is questionable each of our trips were a couple of month duration. We left after 4th July and back the southern route late September early October.
Memorable is a short word for those trips.
Now planning to do one in an Airstream 32' tt. Good luck
bunlacken is offline   Reply With Quote