Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Trip Costs

After returning from the International Rally at Bozeman, I added up all of our costs for the trip. Counting the rally fee, the RV parks, and diesel, I found that for the two of us, we spent right on $100 a day. Diesel, during driving days, ran about $100, which was balanced out by non-travel days. Even with today's fuel costs, this is not really terrible compared to other vacation options.

Meal costs were another expense. We ate all breakfasts and most lunches in the trailer. The remaining meals out were pretty much equal to what we eat out when at home.

Unless fuel goes completely out of sight, we intend to go to Madison next year with a few days in Door County and a stop to see my grandkids in St Louis while we are up that way.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Interesting...

We returned last month from a trip to Alaska of 11,079 miles in 30 days (probably 99% of the miles were towing, and we were driving all but one day of the 30) and our total cost for the trip was just under $170 a day, not including meals in the trailer, but that does include what we spent on a day cruise out of Seward, AK. Our biggest cost was of course gasoline, which was as much as $7.50C a gallon in one touristy area in Canada. Average cost for gas in Canada was $6.00C.

Considering we have some friends that spent $9K on a 10 day combination air/rail/bus/ship trip to Alaska, we think we got a bargain because we saw and did lots more. Experiencing the Alaska Highway and seeing all the wildlife, and scenery was something we have wanted to do for many years. We highly recommend the trip to anyone considering it.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Fuel prices, at least gasoline prices, have been coming down in most areas of the country. Some analyst expect fuel prices to go back up by the end of the year. I hope not of course.

This morning I heard on the radio that since tropical storm Edward didn't reach hurricane strength and didn't hit the oil and gas refinery areas of the Texas Gulf coast hard enough to affect production, we should see another $.10/gallon drop. Combine that with the reduction in demand now that the Olympics are about to begin (China has been hording oil so they would have plenty for the Olympic games and demand for construction of the venues) we should see a continue in the drop in price at the pump. If the Fed sends the right signal to commodity traders, we should see this continued decline maintained. I am thankful for every little decrease in the price of gasoline, no matter how small it might be. Every little bit helps.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I are planning (loosely) to proceed with our fall coast-to-coaster despite the scary fuel costs. Not to mention the even-scarier stock market. I gotta say that even the best diversified strategy has had its foundation rocked.

Even so, I hate to miss an opportunity for travel because who knows what is around the corner. At the moment, we are healthy if not wealthy, and all the equipment works. TV and tow, too. So if we can go, we're gonna go.

I think our costs will be similar to Pahaska's - at least that has been our experience. But it will be cash-out-of-pocket. I'll cut back someplace else.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
...I am thankful for every little decrease in the price of gasoline, no matter how small it might be. Every little bit helps.
I really don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I've seen a $.30/gallon drop in gasoline prices since I returned from the July 4th week, but I haven't seen any drop in diesel prices. It is still $4.69.9 and that is what is was in my town when I returned from vacation. What gives?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
We just spent 4 nights in Sequoia National Park, for $43 in campground fees (a senior pass helps: no entry fee to the national park = $20 saved, and campground fees of $17 are cut in half), and $200 in gasoline. The 3 meals we ate out match what we would buy if we stayed home. All other meals were made in camp, so no added cost there, either. The night before we got to the Sequoias, we parked for free at a Flying J rest stop near Gorman, CA. That's a total of $243 for 5 nights away from home in our Bambi (=$48/night). While fuel costs have skyrocketed, that's still an inexpensive cost for the trip.

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Compared to everyone else's input on daily costs, mine sure seemed high. But then, I got to figuring....we drove 11,079 miles in 30 days, or an average of 369 miles a day ( I know there were some 550 mile days in there too), and that equates to 30.5 gallons of fuel per day average, at an average cost of $4.58 per gallon. So, it was the fuel costs at $140 +,- per day that runs the cost up so high.

Even so, the trip was one we had dreamed about for many years, and I think it was a bargain!
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
It was a Fun Trip

We traveled from New York State to State of Virginia. Stayed overnight
at a Flying J and had dinner and breakfast. The KOA in Virginia was super.

We had a wonderful time and the trip.....$300.00. We thought is was Fun Trip and well worth it.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Worth-it...you bet!!

$1200.00 total, 543mi total for 10 days in one of our favorite Campgrounds. All meals but one Airstream eaten. Believe it or not the groceries cost almost as much as the gas.

This is the way we like to do it, was it worth it??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2006 027.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	65191   Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2006 095.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	65192  

Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We just finished a 10,500 mile trip and our fuel cost this year was $1,000 more that it was for a similar trip last year when we drove 11,500 miles. The max paid for diesel this year was $5.05 and the cheapest was $3.99. Unless diesel goes into outer space we will do another long trip in 2009.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote