Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2002, 08:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Travelling in Mexico

We are interested in pulling the Airstream down to Mexico in February and are curious to know if anyone out there has ventured that way at all. We would be coming down from Toronto and crossing at Brownsville TX and would like to explore Yucatan, especially Merida, Tulum, and the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza. Are there any campsites or good free camping places? Or is it better not to even consider taking the A/S and just rent a place for 4 or 5 weeks? We have a Ford Econoline LA West conversion as well which has a bed and could easily take a small stove and fridge. In that case we'd leave Bella (A/S) at home in the snow.

Any suggestions, ideas, tips, routeings out there? We have driven to Mexico City before and did not feel intimidated or threatened at any time. Our only bad experience was my husband being pick-pocketed on the Subway in MC.

We are experienced campers: did the old 'Overland to India' thing in 1969-70 and went everywhere there from Goa to Katmandu. In those days one drove to Istanbul and then overland through Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. I doubt we'll ever have that opportunity again. What an adventure! Would love to hear from anyone who did that trip as well.

We are interested in hearing from other intrepid travellers.

Maryel
maryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 09:11 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Thumbs up Mexico

When I went to Copper Canyon with a caravan, I met several couples RVing around the country all by themselves. They all reported good experiences. They did adhere to reasonable precautions such as not travelling at night.

The "Green Angels" patrol all the major roads and helped one of our caravan get back on the road when they blew a tire and found that their spare would not fit on the hub. They also lent a hand to another of the caravan who hit a "road alligator" and tore off their black water tank.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:15 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to keylime
awaiting update

I'd love to hear about your trip, either during or afterwards. I am in the beginning stages of "considering" such a trip myself, as my wife is Mexican and we are thinking of heading down sometime this year or next. I feel somewhat advantaged to have a "native" making the trip with me, making the culture-gap less of a problem, but even she feels some reluctance or caution.
We thought heading through TX and keeping as coastal as possible, making our way to Yucatan, then scooting to MC. Keep us posted.
keylime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #4
Vroom

Mahone Bay
Traveling in Mexico

You might go to the Trailer Life web site. They have quite an extensive list of trailer parks for Mexico. You have to hit the button on the bottom of the first page to find a city in Mexico. Here is their site: http://www.tldirectory.com/index.cfm

I too have travelled through Nepal, and Afganistan as a photographer in the early 70's. Some of my photos there are on my web site - www.richardvroom.ca. Look in the international section.

I too am looking possibly of taking my Airstream from Nova Scotia to Chapala, Mexico. I have many friends there.

Sincerely,
Richard
Richard Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thumbs up Just returned from Puerto Peñasco

Maryel, We spent New Years eve through the 3rd in Mexico (with our AS). The Woodalls guide has an extensive section on RV parks in Mexico. We plan to do it again.
Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: Travelling in Mexico

Quote:
Originally posted by maryel
Any suggestions, ideas, tips, routeings out there? We have driven to Mexico City before and did not feel intimidated or threatened at any time. Our only bad experience was my husband being pick-pocketed on the Subway in MC.
This may be helpful:

From Phred's Poop Sheets
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:32 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to keylime
I found a site that has a decent listing of RV parks throughout the country, from Gulf Coast, Yucatan, Pacific, Baja and interior.
<http://www.ontheroadin.com/regions.htm>
It covers just about all the sites available, with a bit of detail on accommodations, # of hook-ups, amperage, dumping etc. Well worth exploring before exploring.
keylime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Take your Airstream. There is an essential book for Mexican R.V.ers, "Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping" by Mike and Terri Church. The book may be out of print but should be available at Amazon.com. There is a thin but adequate network of RV parks down the Gulf Coast of Mexico and around the Yucatan. It takes a while to get there but the Yucatan is a great place for Airstreaming.
We made the trip with a lesser travel trailer a few years back and have many great memories and pictures.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
We have done a couple of trips down to Mexico with our AS but on the other side of the country. We went to Kino Bay over xmas and then down to Guaymas over Easter. No serious problems. Getting back over the boarder to the US has been the biggest headache. We have found the RV parks to be nice but the hook ups are hit and miss on how modern/functional they are.

Although 23 people were shot to death in a drug related war in Cananea just South of where we are in Tucson. But that is an inland route off of a regional highway as opposed to a direct path down the Mexican interstate. That will probably not stop us from going again, though. Next trip planned very shortly.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I hope Maryel got to take that trip - they started the thread back in 2002!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn
There is an essential book for Mexican R.V.ers, "Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping" by Mike and Terri Church. The book may be out of print but should be available at Amazon.com.
Ahem. It's also available at the Airstream Life magazine store!

Tell ya what, I made a special "Airstream Forum" discount for 10% off, which makes the book cheaper than Amazon. Just enter this discount code when you make your payment: AirforumsMex

Fine print: Discount expires on June 15 2007, and it's only good for the first 20 customers. Use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the store pages if you have any trouble with it. Happy camping!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Received the Summer issue today

Rich,

We received the Summer issue today and as usual turned to the back page to see what Tin Hut had to offer. Hilarious as always. Now for the rest of the issue. Keep up the good work.