Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
The impetus for this trip was to build a chair with a friend in Maryland. I didn’t have a route planned after the stop in Grand Rapids—per my usual I was intending to meander on 2-lane highways. But in the end I decided to hurry over to Maryland and wander there instead, and I’m glad I did. Mostly Harvest Host stays not too far from the Interstates on the trip out. First night was a state park in MI but it was raining hard and had been for several days, so I just parked the trailer and stayed inside. Second night was a lovely winery in Pennsylvania—Bella Terra, where I enjoyed some cider, wine, and food while listening to live music on their outdoor patio.

Third night, a farm stand named Emily’s Produce in Cambridge, Maryland, where I picked up a bunch of locally-farmed groceries for the week as well as some excellent tomato pie and pumpkin pie for dinner.

I arrived in Maryland 2.5 days ahead of schedule and drove a few extra hours to the Assateague National Lakeshore (one of the barrier islands that is home to wild horses).

Because it’s a national park and reservations are required and blah blah blah, I couldn’t camp there, but I did have Tatay in the visitor center parking lot and as far as I’m concerned, that’s good enough to check off another Airstream goal—taking Tatay to both coasts. After a long walk on the (lovely) beach, I got my pin and mounted it.

From the parking lot, I called around and ended up setting up camp for the night about 10 minutes away at a huge campground called Fort Whaley for a night. Nice place—it was totally packed for the weekend (I’m surprised I got a spot). I like these big campgrounds every once a while, particularly when I’m traveling solo, as I walk around a lot and see the families having a good time and soak in all the campground kitsch (the crazy things folks do to make their campsite “home”—dog pens, lights, holiday decorations, etc.).
Old 10-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
I spent the chairbuilding week at a campground about 10 minutes from the shop where I built the chair. This campground—Little Bennett Campground—is amazing. The campground was clearly designed by people who love camping and all the sites are huge and well-thought out. As I was leaving before dawn and arriving in the evening I didn’t talk to many folks, but over the course of the week I did get to walk all of the loops and explore the park. Very impressed and if I’m ever in the area again I’ll definitely stay there.

It was a busy but good week. For this chair you start with a log and you split and rive it, then shape those parts into the various parts of the chair. I used handtools almost exclusively.

Here’s the chair, with a woven hemp webbing seat, on top of the log from which most of its parts emerged.

The return trip was a dash back on interstates as I had some projects starting at the farm. Nothing interesting to report there except that for all the talk of how many Airstreams have been sold, I saw very few while traveling (and only a couple in campgrounds).
Old 10-13-2021, 05:00 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Great post as always. Love your narratives. And....the craftmanship on the chair is exquisite. Well done.

I too wonder about the reports of Airstreams sold vs. actual sightings. They are sold out everywhere, and you will wait a year in some cases if you order one. But where are they?
We have clocked about 30 nights in ours so far since we took delivery almost 1 year ago. We have stayed everywhere from State Parks, to KOA's, to high end RV Resorts in 3 states. All in all, I have counted only 6 other Airstreams in these places, and maybe that many seen out on the roads, and that includes traveling for other reasons(day to day commute, etc)

I know all you have to do is go to an AS Rally to see more aluminum than you can imagine, but the # of Airstreams seen out on the roads and in the typical campgrounds is a fraction of the other brands.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
We have clocked about 30 nights in ours so far since we took delivery almost 1 year ago. We have stayed everywhere from State Parks, to KOA's, to high end RV Resorts in 3 states. All in all, I have counted only 6 other Airstreams in these places, and maybe that many seen out on the roads, and that includes traveling for other reasons(day to day commute, etc).
Same here. About 35 nights this year so far and just five AS fellow campers. However, three of those were on at a three-night stay at a small state park near Waco, TX. On a 21-night trip across the southeast we camped with another AS just once. Highway sightings around 10 across about 4000 miles.
Fungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #85

Boise , ID
Thank you for posting your adventures!

I've only recently began researching the idea of RV travel. I'm trying to digest the entire world of RV life, which seems to be a lifetime of information. This has been the most useful posting I've found to date. With the new 2022 prices being updated we've been questioning if we can afford to make this jump. Your story reminds me that we can't afford not to make this jump.

My wife and I both work in healthcare and are fortunate enough to be in a position where we can take a break for a while next year (maybe longer). We have a 12 year old that is quickly growing up. Having sacrificed much of his childhood to the confines of our never ending 24/7 jobs, we feel the next year is probably the last year we'll get to spend with him before he figures out we're "not cool". We'll be at the Airstream dealer this weekend making our reservations for delivery.
Bunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
My wife and I both work in healthcare and are fortunate enough to be in a position where we can take a break for a while next year (maybe longer). We have a 12 year old that is quickly growing up. Having sacrificed much of his childhood to the confines of our never ending 24/7 jobs, we feel the next year is probably the last year we'll get to spend with him before he figures out we're "not cool". We'll be at the Airstream dealer this weekend making our reservations for delivery.
I'm hoping that the perspective you have—that the work/life/family continuum should actually be family/life/work—is one of the things that sticks around after this pandemic.

12 is a great age. He'll remember the trip well but is young enough that it'll inform his view of the world. My kids were 9 and 13 when we took that trip; 11 and 15 now. I don't think taking that trip would be possible anymore. Already they have their own lives. But they talk about the trip all the time and for me, perhaps the thing I'll be most proud of having done as a parent. Every once in a while I'd take a few steps back and take a photo of them heading off into the world.

It was a crazy adventure for sure, but boy am I glad we did it. Between the brief window of time we have with them and the unknowns in life (made apparent by the experience with my dad at the end of the trip)—all I can say is do it while you can.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Today, 08:36 AM   #87

Boise , ID
I have so many questions that it would not fit into this thread!

The past 7 years of work have been brutal with the past 2 being topped with this pandemic. Work life balance has been way out of balance for a long time. It’s been due for an adjustment and the plans have been set in motion for that adjustment for a while. We’re fortunate to have options and hope we can make this happen next summer.

Great photos! I live off US 20 in Idaho and have driven it from one side of the state to the other literally hundreds of times. Amazing piece of pavement actually.

Thanks again for the good memories you shared!
Bunker is online now   Reply With Quote