Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburnand View Post
I looked into the ferry and it looks like they don't accommodate truck and trailers. Also, I am not familiar with CAT. Please explain.
https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/

According to the website they do take trailer and tow vehicles up to 50'. A reservation is a must. I made this trip back in 91 (Yarmouth to Bar Harbor back then) and a reservation was a must then. Mind you for the money the ferry costs you are missing out on some great sites like Fundy national park.

I made this trip in reverse back in 2011 heading to the St Lawrence parks then on to Quebec city and Parc du Bic and then onto Forillon down to kouchibouguac national park (personally I didn't like this park. Too many bugs and the water was too cold in August). From there over to PEI over the bridge and I took the ferry from PEI to Nova Scotia down to Cape Breton. Then to Halifax and then to Fundy to see the tide changes. Then onto St.John and to Bar Harbor before heading home.

If you are doing any of this in summer then I would recommend reservations especially if you have a big rig.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #22
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
NB, PEI, NS in June/July 2019

We're leaving from San Francisco right after Easter and expect to arrive in the Maritime Provinces area around mid June. We'd like not to have to make camping reservations as our itinerary before that includes a lot of visits with friends and relatives. I realize this is the high tourist season; and we are happy dry camping whenever needed.

My questions. Based on your experience:

Is it possible to get campsites in private and/or provincial campgrounds on a walk up basis, or by making a reservation a day or two before arrival?

Are there places to camp overnight along a roadside, in fields, or at some sort of parking lot like, say a Walmart?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
We're leaving from San Francisco right after Easter and expect to arrive in the Maritime Provinces area around mid June. We'd like not to have to make camping reservations as our itinerary before that includes a lot of visits with friends and relatives. I realize this is the high tourist season; and we are happy dry camping whenever needed.

Is it possible to get campsites in private and/or provincial campgrounds on a walk up basis, or by making a reservation a day or two before arrival?

Are there places to camp overnight along a roadside, in fields, or at some sort of parking lot like, say a Walmart?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
....there last Sept..we parked at a campground and drove around...stayed at Pictou
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:

Thanks for your help.

Paul
In June you shouldn't have an issue. July and August are another story. There is usually room in all of the parks depending upon your equipment, but weekends is usually full. Most provincial parks and National parks have some first come first served spots, but that is the luck of the draw. If you have a really long unit my advice is book it. Last year I booked some spots in March for August and I got the last spot at a private park, so it all depends upon location and luck. The National parks I book in January to ensure I have a good spot. If you're not picky then you can usually find something.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Nova Scotia is great, but be aware much of it looks like Ohio.
Must see's are the Cabot trail and the area from Halifax to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg.
I was ready to move to Lunenburg, it's so beautiful in a salty way.
People still making dories with hand tools.
It was fun to stop in small towns along the Bay Of Fundy and sit in bleachers to watch the tide come in.

Also, consider along the Maine coast to stop in Eastport and see if you can catch a ride to Machias Seal Island and photograph the puffins.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We travel the five provinces. Take the ferry to PEI (free) drive back on the bridge ( I think with our 25’ fee was about 40.00) if near Lubec Maine stop in at Sunrise RV Park (Reservation required) eat pancakes in town,see Campobello FDR summer home, eat lobster rolls in Eastport, see lighthouse at Quoddy, stay in Moncton drive to Fundy Bay see the flower pots and watch the tide change over 35 feet. The record there is 54 ft. We spent over four weeks in that area had had reservations at Lubec only we just called a head using Allstays App Love the sites food and the folks. Enjoy your trip.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
"but be aware much of it looks like Ohio.
Seriously? I'm not sure what part of Ohio you drove in or what part of NS. I cannot see any resemblance. Ohio is beautiful in whole lot of ways, but NS is completely different IMO.

"Take the ferry to PEI (free) "
You only pay when you get off the island. Doesn't matter if you take the ferry or bridge. With a trailer you pay per axle.

Vehicles (CDN dollars) so with USD that's about 25% less.
First 2 Axles $47.75
Each Additional Axle $8.25
https://www.confederationbridge.com/...olls-fees.html

If you're taking the ferry
https://www.ferries.ca/ns-pei-ferry/fares/

It's been a while since I last took the ferry with the trailer so, I cannot remember the cost and the new fee schedule hasn't been posted yet. But depending upon your route you can save time and driving by taking it. I took it back in 2011 while going from PEI to Cape Breton. But normally I either come from St John or Moncton and head back that way. If your going to see the "flower pot rocks" there are some private campgrounds right adjacent to the park. Some have water views, but are not cheap and the others are away from the water, but you're packed in like a sardine.

If you're headed to Lunenburg then go see Mahone Bay as well. The architecture there is stunning with many restored homes (don't try to park the trailer there it is very tight). If you're a fan of Oak Island it isn't far away either. Peggy's cove is nice, but unless you're there in the off season the tourists will over run the place. It was already over crowed in 1990. You will also find good places to stay on Campendium https://www.campendium.com/rv-parks
Old 01-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
"but be aware much of it looks like Ohio.
Seriously? I'm not sure what part of Ohio you drove in or what part of NS. I cannot see any resemblance. Ohio is beautiful in whole lot of ways, but NS is completely different IMO.
I drove along the northern part
and interior. We stayed at a bed and breakfast which was a farmhouse, literally. We were the only guests.
I'm giving my opinion, The south coast is beautiful, but the northern parts and interior is farmland, and without the ocean, it could be Ohio. If you have limited time, see the most beautiful parts.
BTW, did the locals warn you about the black flies in June? I hear they can be annoying.
Don't be offended, I grew up in Indiana, yep, same-same.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Maritimes…

Road Geezer,
Since we live near Boston, and my wife's family is from New Brunswick (NB), we are are fairly familiar with northern New England and the Maritimes.

PM me (callmedave) if you'd like our input re routes and places to stay. We have friends and family who might let you boondock. I'll reply as soon as I can.
While we don't have room here in Cohasset, there is a state park in the next town over. You can easily catch a train into Boston from there. We'd be happy to give you tips on what to do.
Dave
callmedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Nova Scotian born and raised here (first 23 years of my life). I still return every summer in our Airstream Interstate.

I suggest the following:

(1) Don't visit NS in June. May and June = black fly season. The reason why that other poster said that you should not have a problem finding a camp site in June? Everybody knows its black fly season. They stay away.

(2) If you decide that you will have "must-camp" stops on your itinerary, reserve just those spots ON THE VERY DAY THE RESERVATION SYSTEM OPENS. I strongly suggest reading this so that you can get a feel for the degree of campsite competition:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...arks-1.3523025

(3) Correct on the Cape Breton Highlands as being a must-do. Many people hauling trailers drop them at a campground and drive around in their TVs (there are multiple other threads on that). There are a couple of National Park campgrounds but they tend to be totally booked well in advance. You might score a drive-up site based on a cancellation, but your chances are not good unless the weather is godawful on that day.

(4) Boondocking has been categorically prohibited in Nova Scotia for about 15 years now. However, the prohibitions are not universally enforced - and it depends on context and intention. In northeastern Nova Scotia, I frequently see people Wallydocking in Port Hawkesbury and Sydney without interference (avoid North Sydney). The government walked back its original sweeping prohibition - you can read an excerpt here:

http://www.acornwall.ca/rv_ban_update.html

Hope this helps. I will leave you with two pics of my off-grid summer property in eastern Cape Breton. In 2017, I had the private road and parking pad put in for our Airstream. My husband and I are gradually thinning out the forest for a lake view. I don't think it looks much like Ohio.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Personally I won't even consider camping in most parts unless it's August or later. Even in May you can encounter a lot of bugs. If you're near swamp forget it. And NS has a lot of it.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:

Thanks for your help.

Paul
We drove eastbound in 2014 and stopped at Walmart in Riviere Du Loup, Quebec and Fredericton. We didn't explore then as we were heading to Newfoundland. The Riviere Du Loup Walmart had over 20 rigs by nightfall and we even had wi-fi. We stayed at the Fredericton Walmart towards the south part of the city - the other one was more in the centre with a crowded parking lot.

We also found campgrounds outside Halifax and Louisburg by driving up - this was in late June/early July. I don't recall the Halifax campground - it was OK and busy with a passing Class A caravan.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
We drove eastbound in 2014 and stopped at Walmart in Riviere Du Loup, Quebec and Fredericton. We didn't explore then as we were heading to Newfoundland. The Riviere Du Loup Walmart had over 20 rigs by nightfall and we even had wi-fi. We stayed at the Fredericton Walmart towards the south part of the city - the other one was more in the centre with a crowded parking lot.

We also found campgrounds outside Halifax and Louisburg by driving up - this was in late June/early July. I don't recall the Halifax campground - it was OK and busy with a passing Class A caravan.
Not sure what the attraction to staying at walmart's are. There is a nice camp municipal camp ground in Riviere du loup. Not that far from the Walmart. Right along the water. There are some sights of the water but not that many since these are taken by seasonal campers. There is usually space for last minute campers, but you can also book online.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Is it true that you can’t make a ferry reservation from Nova Scotia to PEI or from PEI to Nova Scotia if you only plan on taking the ferry one way? ( and taking the bridge the other way)
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
Is it true that you can’t make a ferry reservation from Nova Scotia to PEI or from PEI to Nova Scotia if you only plan on taking the ferry one way? ( and taking the bridge the other way)
Not according to the website. But ferry's run every couple of hours so if you miss one there will be another.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Not sure what the attraction to staying at walmart's are. There is a nice camp municipal camp ground in Riviere du loup. Not that far from the Walmart. Right along the water. There are some sights of the water but not that many since these are taken by seasonal campers. There is usually space for last minute campers, but you can also book online.
I was replying to an earlier poster who inquired if there were any places to stop overnight. We were heading directly to Newfoundland so it would have been pointless to pay for an overnight campground there or in Fredericton.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote