Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Maybe this is a business transaction and it may be permissible since it has a time related condition on it. The key is acquiring the temporary permit...if in fact the offices are open. If you have that then the traffic offense is unlikely but probably pocket book acceptable.
JCW
Old 04-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
everyone has a choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
A lot of Kantians in this forum, I see. If you take the proper social distancing measures, I'm not sure why it would matter. You're more likely to get/give COVID-19 at the grocery store than a one-on-one transaction with a private seller.
So let's get this straight. These folks are going to make a drive and see one guy (the seller) and get gas a couple of times. Sounds pretty dang safe to me. Ditto on the grocery store risks. You're not in the city.

I don't know about your area but you can get a one-trip permit in TX. BUT, you have to go to the now closed tax office. I agree, the troopers aren't too concerned about tags right now. Overnight parking might be an issue since they've closed most of the parks and some of the rest stops.

I'd be likely to go ahead. You have to choose for yourself but it doesn't sound like a risky plan to me. Common sense and perspective is a good thing.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Keene , Ontario
Please stay home. The US is projecting 100,000 to 240,000 deaths due to covid19. Make other arrangements for the purchase or hold the purchase. People’s lives are so much more important.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Drive carefully. You are more likely to die in a crash then the coronavirus.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
"traveling" during "stay at home order"

I have to confess I don’t understand the question. In my mind - there isn’t a question of whether to travel or not.

The reason for the ban on discretionary travel - the federal urging to stay home - is not only for one’s individual protection, it is to reduce the spread of this highly communicable disease against which we have no immunity or vaccine.

Remember when there were 15 cases “soon to be close to zero”? There have been 226,378 confirmed US cases as of this morning.

If everyone obeys the travel ban, everyone has a better chance of avoiding the virus and its significantly higher death rate than the flu.

Many companies are helping customers through the unique challenges we face right now in many ways.

I would answer your question by begging you not to travel. Call your lender, get a waiver, if that doesn’t work, call your state and federal legislators - a lender who would take advantage of a consumer during this crisis should be dealt with...

I can’t know all the specifics and will admit I could be missing something. But I would beg you to observe the ban for your safety and that of your fellow Americans.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #46
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugchug View Post
Drive carefully. You are more likely to die in a crash then the coronavirus.
Not even close. We average 750 deaths weekly from traffic deaths, around 39,000 per year. In the last 3 weeks we had 5,000 covid19 deaths in the US.
Do the math...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 04-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane69 View Post
Hey There,
We are about to purchase our very first airstream. We live in WA a little north of Seattle and the airstream is in Walla Walla, WA about 5 hours east of us. We were hoping to pick up the airstream (private seller) this Friday without coming into contact with anyone but the seller, boondock on the way home one night and be back the next day (Saturday). We are nervous about getting pulled over 1. because of the stay at home order and 2. because the trailer has expired tabs (since 2016). I have tried to research the rules about a trailer having expired tabs that you have just purchased but I can't find anything concrete. Has anyone had any issues on towing an airstream during the "stay at home" order, or any advice? Should we just wait?
Assuming that you are in good health and so are the people you are interacting with why not ?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane69 View Post
Hey There,
We are about to purchase our very first airstream. We live in WA a little north of Seattle and the airstream is in Walla Walla, WA about 5 hours east of us. We were hoping to pick up the airstream (private seller) this Friday without coming into contact with anyone but the seller, boondock on the way home one night and be back the next day (Saturday). We are nervous about getting pulled over 1. because of the stay at home order and 2. because the trailer has expired tabs (since 2016). I have tried to research the rules about a trailer having expired tabs that you have just purchased but I can't find anything concrete. Has anyone had any issues on towing an airstream during the "stay at home" order, or any advice? Should we just wait?
Hello All. I am in my last 5 months of a 38 year career with the Denver Fire Department. My guys are going on many Covid calls and some firefighters have been infected. The hospitals are being blasted and we see an increased rate of newly identified cases and deaths everyday. This situation has not bottomed out and I would be slow to make any predictions on how Federal and Local governments may respond in the coming weeks. I love my 19' Flying Cloud and long to use it. I am refraining for now because I don't want to get sick away from home and I am at higher risk because of my job. I would not have the provisions to last the length of the illness and then the 2 week quarantine. In addition, I would caution all to understand that they too could be infected but not sick yet. It would be very unfortunate for an older person to get very ill on the road away from an ICU. Lastly, as we move toward a possibly very chaotic situation possibly involving Martial Law be imposed in some areas it would be advantageous to be at your home base. Please consider doing your part by adhering to the intent of the regulations imposed in your area of the country and remember this too shall pass. Peace and no judgment from me just my ramblings on a day off.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Be Patient... or you may become one

Out of character for me, I would advise you forgo this 'adventure'.

You are traveling within a populated area wanting to reduce further viral exposure, presenting more risk, although small... but still not worth it for a trailer purchase.

There will always be trailers for sale. Just bad timing, like wanting to travel during a blizzard to pick up this trailer...is also bad timing. I would believe you want the trailer in possession so to work on it at home. Just be patient.

In a less populated State with minimal risk is one thing, but you are not among any of those. A mechanical break down of this 'wonderful trailer' in transit or the tow vehicle, you then encounter an additional issue. Services that are not available.

Now, stranded without a paddle.

I recall a 30 day bill of sale is probably true in most States. You DO NEED proof of purchase from the 'owner of this trailer', probably notarized with the previous owners registration and other paper work. Leave the plates ON.

Being pulled over is one thing. Being accused of theft, is another.

Sometimes I am eager to do something... but common sense will always be a better choice. We are all Human Beans... like it or not.

(After reading Post #56... you have all your details prepared... your trip sounds to be one smooth round trip. Good luck and be well.)
Old 04-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #50
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
Personally, I would go get the trailer. And I hate to mention this but you may need to use it later as a place to self quarantine. If you get stopped, you may want to tell them that this was a reason for going to get it.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Lynnwood , WA
1. I have a travel permit
2. The seller put new tires on the Airstream two days ago (I know because I called and paid for them so that the warranty would be in our name, and confirmed that they were indeed put on, and the seller is paying me back for them). He also paid an extra $180 to have the wheel bearings checked and packed with grease. He also flushed out the winter antifreeze and double checked that the stove and heater are in working order (which we will also check when we get there).
3. We had the Airstream appraised and know what we are getting into
4. We are buying the trailer for less than it appraised and are aware of what may go wrong between here and there and we have factored all of that into what we were willing to pay for it
5. It’s actually quite common for credit unions to jack up the interest rate if you fail to put them as the lien holder within a certain amount of time
Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Lynnwood , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlewis View Post
Personally, I would go get the trailer. And I hate to mention this but you may need to use it later as a place to self quarantine. If you get stopped, you may want to tell them that this was a reason for going to get it.
Thank you!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
WELL !!

What happens if you have an accident? Need hospitalization? Then what?

Not worth the risk to anyone, IMO

Brad A.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Lynnwood , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augianderson View Post
WELL !!

What happens if you have an accident? Need hospitalization? Then what?

Not worth the risk to anyone, IMO

Brad A.
Isn’t that a risk any time of year? With fewer people on the road I think the risk of that happening is even smaller.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #55
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Why ask others to help?

So, if your trip works out well, the seller is legit, the hitch fits, the tires roll, no State Patrols in sight . . . then the tire blows, the radiator overheats, [I]anything[I] that requires outside assistance, are you willing to boondock on the side of the road, or in a gas station parking lot because everyone else is heeding the travel ban, and they don't want to help "out-of-towners" who look like they don't care about rules??

Your confidence and assessment of the simplicity and low-impactness of the opportunity is being influenced by the financial urgency that will feel really puny/silly compared to the ripple effect of unforeseen events. The Montana order specifically included, "and no high-risk recreation requiring emergency response" to minimize first-responders' exposure to unplanned, optional, injuries.

There is no way this is not an optional, recreation-related trip to pick up an optional commodity that might be boring or, wait for it, not!

Why act like you are in the far left "tail" of the bell curve, when you clearly have a choice and know better.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #56
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
This isn’t just about a federal recommendation not to travel. The OP lives next to the original US hotspot near Seattle, until it was overtaken by New York. There is an active stay at home state order to consider.

The moving permit is important, but WA has closed all government offices. There may be a private license office open on reduced hours, especially after the peak passes.

I don’t think that a trailer that apparently hasn’t been on the road for four years should be expected to have good tires, brakes, and battery. There is a strong likelihood that interventions will be required and that involves contact with people beyond the seller.

There are posters here demonstrating the rugged individualism that is a part of the US makeup. During a time of crisis, as we have worldwide at the moment, individualism is a detriment, not an asset. What is required is a community effort. Pulling together. Some appear to struggle with that concept. If people didn’t, voluntary orders to stay at home would have been sufficient. But now we are at the next phase. There will be further restrictions, no doubt. And challenges. But we are far better able to meet them collectively, IMO.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Constructive Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
For when you do go:

WA state laws turn out to be very similar to our laws just north of you. Towing with expired tags is an offence. What you require is called a trip permit. They are available for trailers and are designed to allow you to move a trailer without current tags.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregist...ippermits.html
This is a constructive post. Thank you. This leaves the decision to the OP and removes one of the obstacles. If they will issue a trip permit, it would seem like the state agency recognizes the need for the event.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
A stay at home order is just that. It is to prevent the spread of a disease that is killing people.
I think the stay at home order is an attempt to prevent contact between people. I find no information about the Covid 19 virus having an extraordinary lifetime when not attached to a host (i.e. alive on the toilet seat for weeks).

I think it is possible to travel to select places without making contact with a lot of people. I rarely go inside at a travel stop for gas. A trip that only involves buyer and seller contact is less contact than going to the grocery store.

I don't know about Washington's rules, but here in New Mexico, a trip to get food from a grocer is allowed if not specifically stated. I think the OP's biggest decision is whether or not Washington authorities are 'by the book' or reasonable. The risk is probably on the outbound trip, since getting back home is probably consistent with "stay at home" interpretations.

One poster mentioned that the efforts are truly different in different states. A friend of mine in Florida plays golf every day. But then I have seen no formal "stay at home" edicts and question the "enforceability" of some of them.

You have bought several Airstreams as I recall. If you were in the OPs position, would you be willing to forgo a good buy to 'possibly' limit travel that could be quite consistent with limiting contact?
Old 04-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I’m not sure you’re seeking advice as much as confirmation of your plan. None of us (to my knowledge) are your local authorities. Why not call your local or state police, share your plans and see what they say? They’re in a much better position to opine on this than anonymous forum members. Bonus - if they believe you should observe the stay at home order, you can sic them on your predatory lender at the same time.

Please call them and discuss.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
CDC reports 3603 deaths since Jan 21. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

CDC reports 24,000 to 62,000 deaths from seasonal influenza.

Please, folks, keep things in perspective.

Here’s some perspective.

Those deaths from flu are, according to Fauci at a rate of 0.1% meaning 24,000,000 to 62,000,000 people get the flu to result in that range of deaths.

The current rate of death among known, reported COVID-19 cases in the US is 2.35%. So if that rate holds (I can’t imagine it will since we don’t know the actual number of people infected yet) and the same number of people get this virus - against which we have no immunity or vaccine - we might expect deaths in the MILLIONS. Do the math.

As it is - the BEST case scenario our government is providing is 200,000 deaths, assuming we all do the right things right now and consistently.

Yes. Keep things in perspective.

Stay home.
Closed Thread