Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Traveling below Freezing...

We are planning a trip for Spring Break and will be driving to Death Valley. Traveling through Colorado and Utah the nights will likely be below freezing with the days above freezing.

When stopped we can of course run the furnace which also warms the tanks preventing freezing so that's taken care of. But what about while driving?

I would love to hear what strategies others use if you are driving when the temps are below freezing. There is a ton of experience in this groups so I thought I would mine that for those others that may be traveling during March.
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there is a Winterizing sub-forum and Sticky Topic which might be advisable to read:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f458/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...rize-7222.html

Also the recent deep freeze in the south spawned a host of threads on-topic, for instance:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...en-219366.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...lp-219736.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ks-219779.html

This recent Death Valley thread may also be of interest?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ey-219616.html

Happy Trails.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Have driven with the heater running set at 45*. But I will often skirt the weather with a more southerly route which may be longer and take a day extra just to avoid the possibility of snow and cold. Keep refilling those propane tanks!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We driven with the heater going at a low temperature, but stopping often to check. The only thing we found was that black soot form around the exhaust of the heater. We made sure that Gray and black water tanks were MT and put anti freeze was in bottom of each tank to keep valves from freezing. Fresh water tank was ok.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I think Peter has all the threads memorized, or he's an excellent researcher. I'm jealous of his memory and ability.

When we travel in cold weather we keep our AS winterized and travel with some water jugs for the toilet. We also have some AF for the drains if we use them. Overnight stops we use restaurant bathrooms where we have dinner, usually Cracker Barrel or the like. Then we stay the night in the parking lot.

On the way back we winterize using the in-line pump to push AF through the lines again, then dump the tanks at the nearest available dump station.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Rich . . . not my memory for sure . . . a real computer on a real desk with quick mouse moves . . . too much free time . . .

Your travel advice is excellent IMO, especially this time of year. In the 90's on our first cross-country trip with the 1985 Sovereign 25' . . . a hasty and poorly done on-the-road winterization required a DIY plumbing repair on our first Sunday morning in Pacific Beach, San Diego. Not a bad place to do a plumbing repair compared the blizzard we had just missed in NY . . .

Hopefully links to good information can save someone else from the headache of an unexpected repair.

Travel safe . . . and . . .
Old 03-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Thanks Peter.
Rich is right, you hit a bunch of good postings.

I found this one too.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ing-49725.html
But this one started a decade ago so thought I would ask for any new thoughts.

Some comments depend on the age of the trailer.
Since I have a 2019 trailer I thought getting some new thoughts down might be helpful. Thanks for starting it off Peter. It is fun reading what people have tried and what has worked and what hasn't. it definitely gives me some ideas. After being cooped up with the pandemic, we are really hoping to head out and have a change of scenery and have some adventures. Just not too exciting.
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by djabl View Post
. . .
. . . After being cooped up with the pandemic, we are really hoping to head out and have a change of scenery and have some adventures. Just not too exciting.
Copy that!

Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Good advice already, we do the empty tanks water jugs thing. We use a porta-potti so no black tank concerns. This years upgrade - 3M thinsulate (like the van builders use) spray glued to reflectix for all the windows and vents help the trailer ('68 Overlander) stay much warmer and furnace not run as much. February in NM every night seemed to be 20 or colder, trailer did fine (read - the wife was warm).
Stay warm,Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote