Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Coming into Austin from the east, take hwy 71. Then it's a straight shot to hwy290 west. After Fredricksburg, I'd head south to hwy 90 toward Langtry, Marfa, and Alpine. Then BBNP. Langtry has a boondock at the Judge Roy Bean museum. Marfa has the Marfa Yacht Club, an Airstream only CG, and Alpine has Sul Ross State U. When you get to El Paso, take hwy 375 north over the Franklin Mtns. Great views, no downtown on Transmountain hwy.

Two years ago, we tried Death Valley in early May. Heat was already over 100. Only campground with electricity was closed.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
We just made a trip that had us staying in Galveston, Corpus Christi, and South Padre Island. In South Padre, we ventured down to the border and saw nothing, no checkpoints, nothing that was in any way disturbing.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Vero Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
That sounds like a good route to me. 290 going through Austin can be a PIA depending on the time of day, but doable. Blanco is a nice, small park. From there you pick up 290 in Johnson City, then west to FB. You’ll go by LBJs ranch in Stonewall. Actually, we’re heading to South Llano SP for a few days. A lot of migratory birds there now. Let me know when you’re in FB. Safe travels and looks like you have a good plan.

Thanks. Planning on LBJ ranch. This trip not till Spring 2022. I’m trying to figure out the best month to go through Texas without messing with my other plans.
WorkBGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:37 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlrhoads View Post
We are planning a trip from Colorado to Port Lavaca TX in the next few weeks. With the situation on the border we have some concerns about how safe it is to travel in Texas. Has anyone encountered any problems?
Any route you take is going to put you near Abilene, which means you will be near the small town of Buffalo Gap, home to the renowned Perini Ranch Steakhouse. https://www.periniranch.com/steakhouse/
You will regret missing this gem, as it is quite possibly the best steakhouse in all of Texas, which I know is a bold statement.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote