Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2023, 07:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Travel CPAP Machine

Does any one use a travel CPAP Machine? My wife’s and I will be traveling overseas and I am heading to Alaska for a fishing trip so I would like to take one that is significantly smaller then the one I currently have. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
A couple of prior discussions on the topic:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f29...ne-236543.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ne-236254.html
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you however I have read those. What I am particularly looking for is recommendations on the travel CPAP machines which are smaller than the regular ones.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Thank you however I have read those. What I am particularly looking for is recommendations on the travel CPAP machines which are smaller than the regular ones.

I use the Resmed Mini, and can recommend it. However I suggest 2 upgrades: a HME in dry climates since there is no humidifier on this unit and second an inline muffler because I found the unit transmitted more noise to my mask than I liked.

Cheers!
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you
Old 03-29-2023, 07:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernVista View Post
I use the Resmed Mini, and can recommend it. However I suggest 2 upgrades: a HME in dry climates since there is no humidifier on this unit and second an inline muffler because I found the unit transmitted more noise to my mask than I liked.

Cheers!
What's an HME? And where do you get it and the inline muffler?

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
What's an HME? And where do you get it and the inline muffler?

HME is Heat Moisture Exchange . It helps keep the moisture in while breathing , as the resmed doesn’t have a water basin and I use a Dreamwear mask with the resmed (with an adapter). It can be dry in the desert! They are disposable and you can find them from CPAP providers.

Same with the inline muffler- I’ve used various places to purchase. Link
below

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/hea...xoCuzoQAvD_BwE
Old 04-21-2023, 05:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:

Cheers!

I thought the ResMed Mini had the equivalent of an HME? Does whatever it has not work well enough to keep your throat from getting dry? Aside from the fact that my insurance doesn't cover it, and it would cost me $800–1000, the humidifier has been the one thing that's made me hesitant. Whenever I forget to fill the resevoir on mine, I wake up noticing the painfully dry throat. And I live in a fairly temperate climate. (Though the heat pump in our bedroom doesn't help.)
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
The Resmed mini has an HME, but as I understand it works only with the Resmed mask kit. I spent a lot of time getting comfortable with the Dreamwear so I don’t want to change, and someone made an adapter for Resmed Mini to fit the proprietary connection and allow you to use any mask. Thus I use an HME with my Dreamwear on the Resmed Mini.

Confusing! But it works for me.

I used to use the Dreamststion portable with the humidifier but.. recall. Still haven’t received the replacement

Cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
I thought the ResMed Mini had the equivalent of an HME? Does whatever it has not work well enough to keep your throat from getting dry? Aside from the fact that my insurance doesn't cover it, and it would cost me $800–1000, the humidifier has been the one thing that's made me hesitant. Whenever I forget to fill the resevoir on mine, I wake up noticing the painfully dry throat. And I live in a fairly temperate climate. (Though the heat pump in our bedroom doesn't help.)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
The Resmed mini has an HME, but as I understand it works only with the Resmed mask kit. I spent a lot of time getting comfortable with the Dreamwear so I don’t want to change, and someone made an adapter for Resmed Mini to fit the proprietary connection and allow you to use any mask. Thus I use an HME with my Dreamwear on the Resmed Mini.

Oh interesting, thanks for the clarification. So the HME works well for you?
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 05:05 AM   #11
D & L Gates

2024 25' Trade Wind
Pella , Iowa
I second the recommendation of the ResMed AirMini. I've used it on domestic and foreign travel. My "home" CPAP is a DreamStation and I use the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask with it. The AirMini comes with a special version of the P10 mask so I don't notice any difference when I use it. The unit came with a humidification module but I've never used it.
dee_gee is offline   Reply With Quote