RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Travel Berkeys and Handmade Sink Boards - Questions!

Question 1: For those of you who travel with the Travel Berkey - where do you store it when you're pulling the trailer?
Question 2: For those of you who have one of the pretty handmade wooden boards for your round sink - do they stay put on the sink when pulling the trailer? Currently, I store my plastic board beneath a sofa cushion because it always bounces out. Which means I usually always forget to use it when chopping veggies.
Thanks, stay safe!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Traveling to , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Question 1: For those of you who travel with the Travel Berkey - where do you store it when you're pulling the trailer?
The Berkey was empty of water and sat in an expanded collapsible dishpan in the sink. We had a bungee that stretched over the top of the Berkey and was attached to the sink grate on either side to hold it all down and in place. Occasionally a big bump would dislodge everything and we'd find the Berkey knocked over when we stopped, but in general this worked pretty well.

We now have a Seagull water filter and aren't using the Berkey.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
We keep the Berkey in a styrofoam box on the floor of the shower when on the road.

While we don’t have a round sink the cover will bounce out when traveling. We keep them (there are two side by side covers for the rectangular sink in the GT) in the overhead compartment above the stove. There is a specific place and holder for them.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
There is a case for the travel berkey
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYard View Post
There is a case for the travel berkey
There is a case? I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-05-2020, 06:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I use bubble wrap around the travel Berkey and stow it in the cabinet under the dinette
Old 11-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Question 2: For those of you who have one of the pretty handmade wooden boards for your round sink - do they stay put on the sink when pulling the trailer? Currently, I store my plastic board beneath a sofa cushion because it always bounces out. Which means I usually always forget to use it when chopping veggies.
Thanks, stay safe!
If you don't have Centramatics on your hubs, I would strongly suggest getting 4. I too had random things shift regularly, after installing these, I had left something on the dinette table and much to my surprise when I got to where I was going that day, it barely moved at all.

Keep in mind Centramatics are not the end all cure for all problems, but they have significantly reduced movement and shifting of items while in transit, at least for me.

https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-ba...pe=Trailers-RV
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
My question was more along the lines of where to store the Berkey inside the trailer when towing. BTW - the literature that came with the Travel Berkey said to never lay the chamber on its side with the filters screwed in; which makes sense to me. The 2 filters are heavy and if lying horizontally when screwed into the bottom of the top chamber, their weight could bend the metal flooring, especially as the trailer bounces. So, I need to store it upright in the trailer and I think I've figured where it will go when I tow. Thanks for all input, all! Be safe.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
My question was more along the lines of where to store the Berkey inside the trailer when towing. BTW - the literature that came with the Travel Berkey said to never lay the chamber on its side with the filters screwed in; which makes sense to me. The 2 filters are heavy and if lying horizontally when screwed into the bottom of the top chamber, their weight could bend the metal flooring, especially as the trailer bounces. So, I need to store it upright in the trailer and I think I've figured where it will go when I tow. Thanks for all input, all! Be safe.
So where are thinking of storing it when traveling?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
The lower portion with fresh water is kept in the trailer sink when traveling. The upper chamber with filters is kept in the tow vehicle in a plastic storage container when traveling.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
The lower portion with fresh water is kept in the trailer sink when traveling. The upper chamber with filters is kept in the tow vehicle in a plastic storage container when traveling.
If you have an under-mount sink, do not store anything in the sink while traveling. The Airstream classics have these. The brackets holding the sink to the countertop are made of soft metal. Four brackets in all. My sink fell it when it was just full of dishwater ( we were not traveling at the time). Airstream had to remove the entire countertop to remount the sink. The water went over the back of my sink and shorted out the awning control.

All under warranty thankfully.

We keep our Berkey in a tub in the shower. We take it apart so it is not so bulky. The upper portion and filters all fit into the lower portion. There is a cover? I will look into that.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Hans 627 - this is what I think will work for me: the box the Travel Berkey came in is very sturdy so I plan to put the Berkey (one chamber inside the other) into the box, and then put it on my shower floor. What makes this a good solution for me is that in the shower, I have a square, canvas laundry bag that stands up on its own. I keep the detergent and bag of coins in the bottom of the bag which keeps it stable. To shower, I move the bag out to between twin beds, wipe down the shower, put the bag back in. The Berkey box will probably still slide around a little but the laundry bag will help to minimize movement. And I don't have to use valuable cupboard space to store it.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Hi all,
I guess I don't want to close my thread yet because Question 2 never got answered, which was:
Question 2: For those of you who have one of the handmade wooden boards for your round sink - do they stay put on the sink when pulling the trailer?
Old 11-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Hi all,
I guess I don't want to close my thread yet because Question 2 never got answered, which was:
Question 2: For those of you who have one of the handmade wooden boards for your round sink - do they stay put on the sink when pulling the trailer?
Yes. Always travel with it in place. Keep the soap dispenser in the sink when traveling, under the board. Haven't found it on the floor yet.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

We have the travel case for the Berkey and jut put it in there when we travel. I used to use a duffel bag and pack the filter container with towels so the filters were stabilized. No issues either way, but the case designed for the Berkey just works better.
ras.robshort is offline   Reply With Quote