Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
Dafydd

1964 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Howe Island , Ontario
Transport US to Canada

We have a '64 (20ft) Globetrotter in Ft Collins CO and want to bring her home to Howe Island (Kingston) Ontario. Thinking we'd drive our JEEP tow vehicle to Regina SK then fly to Ft Collins (Denver), hire a tow vehicle on a one-way contract and drag our AS "KIMMY" back across the border to Regina, leaving the hired tow vehicle there and returning home.

Can anyone comment on that plan or suggest alternatives? Just can't bear to miss a summer without having our baby home!

Many thanks

David " MEKNOWHOWE" Jones
meknowhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is the US/Canada border open?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Not for personal travel, but a commercial carrier could pass on business.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Is the US/Canada border open?
It's always been open for repatriation of residents...

You just have to quarantine for 2 weeks before going anywhere...(that is the catch, a 2 week stint in Portal? Or Estevan?)
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I think the big question is where you're going to self-isolate for 2 weeks. If you cross in Saskatchewan will they let you drive back to Kingston before self-isolating? I suspect not, but maybe you've already checked that out. Some places will not let you enter if you've been out of the country in the past 2 weeks, including the ONRoutes.

If I was doing this I would be crossing close to home and self-isolating there. You have to have a credible plan which you present to officials at the border. You have to be tested before you cross, at the border and 10 days after you cross. The final test gets picked up from you by courier. That test you need to be able to do on a video call so they can watch and make sure you do it correctly. Make sure you're somewhere with decent Internet access. Your plan needs to include someone to deliver groceries and anything else you need for the 2 weeks. Public health officials will need to be able to contact you during that 2 weeks, and you have to fill out a daily report online. My wife has now been through this 5 times in the past year, for a total of 10 weeks in self-isolation. Restrictions are getting tighter, so you also have to be prepared for things to change during your trip.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
He is not saying he will cross the border. He wants to hire a tow to bring the Globetrotter across the border. Then he will tow it with his Jeep back to Ontario.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
depending on the condition of the Globetrotter. I might get a price to have it Flat bedded directly to your home. It's a long trip and if they're is an issue along the way, not many places to get help or even cell service along the T-Can.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach05855 View Post
He is not saying he will cross the border. He wants to hire a tow to bring the Globetrotter across the border. Then he will tow it with his Jeep back to Ontario.
Actually, he is saying he will cross the border:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meknowhowe View Post
Thinking we'd drive our JEEP tow vehicle to Regina SK then fly to Ft Collins (Denver), hire a tow vehicle on a one-way contract and drag our AS "KIMMY" back across the border to Regina, leaving the hired tow vehicle there and returning home.
As big an issue as the isolation period from my perspective is the likelihood of renting a tow vehicle in the US for a one-way trip and dropping it off somewhere in Canada. Maybe I'm just uninformed, but I have a hard time believing there are any rental outfits that would allow that.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Ontario is under a stay at home order, and travel is currently restricted at the Ontario Manitoba border.

Current option is to hire a delivery service to bring it to your home.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
You might try having your Jeep transported into the US to near an airport you can fly into or perhaps have a helicopter transfer you to the US. Drive out to CO. to pick up the trailer. Then drive back to a land crossing nearest to you home. Would have to check out the US restrictions as far as self isolating. Good luck.
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #11
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
Further thought on picking up your trailer.

Are you buying from dealer or private?

Can you set up the hitch?

Ship your Jeep to Ft. Collins. Fly to Ft. Collins, you will need a PCR test 3 days or less before entering US, printout or PDF on phone or both. Also, IRCC, you have to isolate for 2 weeks, so the trailer, if it is at a campground, could be used for this. Drive back through the US. I think one can cross state lines without any issues. Get another PCR test 72 hours or less before entering Canada and have a plan for isolation when home. CBS require this. You need the ArriveCan app for your phone to enter into Canada. Back home you have to isolate for two weeks and need another PCR test after 10 days.

Think this is correct but verify that it is correct.

John
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airjeep View Post
Also, IRCC, you have to isolate for 2 weeks, so the trailer, if it is at a campground, could be used for this.
I'm pretty sure people travelling into the USA from Canada are not required to self-isolate on arrival. That's only for travelling from the USA into Canada. Perhaps there are certain states where the requirements are different, though.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
There are many good comments regarding crossing back into Canada and the requirements to do so. I would consider having the Jeep transported to the U.S. and you flying in to pick it up and then drive to the trailer and towing home. I know several neighbours who traveled to Florida this past winter - I believe they drove to Hamilton airport where the vehicle was picked and transported to Buffalo and they were flown by helicopter to meet up.

Our truck and trailer were stuck in Florida last year after we had to make an emergency trip home in early March. We eventually found out we could fly to Florida which we did in June to pick up the truck and trailer. We then drove home without incident. We had planned beforehand and stocked up the freezer with food and the pantry with booze for two weeks (neighbours bought us fresh foods). We crossed at the Thousand Islands bridge on I-81 (which is close to Kingston) without any trouble (we just had to provide our contact information and quarantine plan to the Canada Border Services Agent). We then had a 150 km. drive home.

As far as I know, the only difference now is the requirement for the various Covid tests as discussed above.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
2019 23' Flying Cloud
2017 19' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Clarksburg , Ontario
Ravennaman

There’s an outfit in Peterborough Ontario called Toy Movers Logistics, they transported our 23FB back from Nova Scotia last year under the lockdown.
We had a fully booked three month trip cancelled and they were a godsend.
It wasn’t cheap, but they delivered our rig to Can Am on time at the price quoted.
Check them out, if they cant do it, they will know who can.
705 292 7277 is their number.
Good luck, we were crushed last year, but they saved us.
Richard
Ravennaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clive , Iowa
Might be a good time to sell the AS you have in Colorado and re purchace when things get a little better. Considering time , cost and hassle doing what your wanting to do, this is just a thought. I feel next year there will be many deals on AS from peeps that decided thats not there style. Your AS will bring a premium in the cuurent market. I sold a class C MH fir $10,000.00 over what it would bring in a normal market. And had many back up buyers.
jpaine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Not for personal travel, but a commercial carrier could pass on business.

LOOPHOLE! As an American property owner/taxpayer with Lake Superior property in Ontario, I resent the fact that Canadians can fly into the US and pay a company to drive their rigs into the US where they pick them up and then proceed on their merry way to winter in the US, while I have NO idea if my property in Ontario is secure.

OPEN THE BORDER................make the traffic for ordinary Canadians and ordinary Americans bi-directional. The COVID Scamdemic has a nearly 99% survival rate. We are SO being played.

Change my mind.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:14 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzstream2 View Post
LOOPHOLE! As an American property owner/taxpayer with Lake Superior property in Ontario, I resent the fact that Canadians can fly into the US and pay a company to drive their rigs into the US where they pick them up and then proceed on their merry way to winter in the US, while I have NO idea if my property in Ontario is secure.

OPEN THE BORDER................make the traffic for ordinary Canadians and ordinary Americans bi-directional. The COVID Scamdemic has a nearly 99% survival rate. We are SO being played.

Change my mind.
While I understand your frustration, and I don't think people should be looking for loopholes like the one you mention, we are very happy to see the border remain closed. Maybe next year.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzstream2 View Post

Change my mind.
Since you live in a border town I'm thinking there is probably lots of discussion around you regarding opening up the border. I'm curious, do you find most Americans you talk to are ready to have the border open considering that fewer than 3% of Canadians are fully vaccinated? You definitely have my sympathy around not being able to cross the border, although not around your "Scamdemic" claim. We bought a house in Michigan and I've only seen it once.
I think we will see a gradual reopening, perhaps with admission for business travel, property owners and those with close family members coming before tourism and cross-border shopping. There may also be requirements for some kind of proof of vaccination.
While a larger number of Canadians have connections to the USA and would like to be able to cross, I think at this point the majority are resigned to the border staying closed at least through the summer.