Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Towing Laws

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask this question or not.I am planning a trip and will be going through a number of states and possibly some Canadian provences. I have noticed that a lot of place require trailer breaks at weights that are less than what is required in my home state. I have a 2006 Bambi 19 foot Safari that does have breaks of course but my boat trailer doesn't. If I decide to take my boat and not my Airstream will I need to put breaks on that trailer? If I will need to add breaks what do I need to keep in mind when doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Flyguy
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Cool Brakes can only help

I've gotten complete electric brake kits on ebay for under $250 including delivery. We're talking hubs, drums, loaded backing plates, wiring, breakaway, everything. Installation is easier than some regular brake jobs on a car! I've used them on SOBs with solid axles; I'm pretty sure there are kits that work on the swing axles, they even sell the weld-on flange if you need it.
Law or not, I want my trailers over-braked, not under. On a cross country trip like you describe, there are sure to be times you will be glad to have the brakes. Sudden traffic stop on an 8% downgrade, anyone? Sway you never experienced before, provoked by a cresting hill/semi passing scenario maybe?
You won't regret having brakes. The opposite is almost certain if you travel at all.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Flyguy;
If you decide to install the brakes on your boat trailer be sure they are SURGE brakes, not electric. You will be in the water. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Actually you can back electric brakes into the water without a problem. We have been doing for years. Electric brakes are much more positive than Surge Brakes.
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
In BC, I believe all towed vehicles, including boat trailers, need brakes at about 3,400 lbs. It's been awhile since I looked into it, but it's in that area (of course it's in kilograms here!). I doubt any highway patrol officer would notice that you're a few pounds over the limit if it's a standard-looking set-up. But if you have a triple axle trailer with a thirty foot yacht and no brakes, you're going to get noticed!

If I can find the actual number, I will post again.

Gary
4slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If it's under 3,000#, I wouldn't worry about it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you go to the Towingworld website, there is a reciprocity column at the very end. I can't speak to the accuracy, but I believe if your home State has reciprocity, then you are good in other States and Provinces with reciprocity. (That's if you are legal in your home state)
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #8
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
Reciprocity is there for liability insurance, but I'm not sure that it works for highway regulations. As an example, in Alberta, the highway regs allow for a "B train" trailer arrangement (of limited length), but in BC the regs prohibit it. More than one Albertan has had his summer holidays turned upside down by having to unhitch one towed unit at the border. On the other hand, Alberta only requires a rear licence plate while BC requires both--Albertans are not ticketed in BC because of that difference in the law. So, better to inform yourself before you get there to avoid nasty surprises.
4slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:53 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
If it's under 3,000#, I wouldn't worry about it.
That would depend on what you have to stop it. What Tow vehicle are youusing for your trip. With my F-250 I would not worry around it. A F-150 maybe, a Ranger, Yes brakes abound!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote