Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Towing advice Vacaville to Mendocino

Newbies here. Just picked up our 23' trailer on Monday. Have never towed before.

We're currently at a campground in Vacaville, about 15 miles from the Airstream dealer where we picked her up.

Want to get to Mendocino, but would like advice on the easiest, safest way for us to get there, given that we have zero towing experience.

Considering the following (based on a map, but no idea of reality!)

1) Rt 80 to Rt 37 to Rt 116 through Petaluma to Rt 1 from Tomales to Mendocino.

Good idea? Terrible idea? Any safer way for us to get there?
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

Jumpin’ right in, ain’t ya!

Be careful, and have a good time.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Jumpin’ right in, ain’t ya!

Be careful, and have a good time.

Maggie
Is that your way of saying we're idiots?! LOL!!

If this is really stupid, I'm hoping someone will tell us. Have never been to Mendocino, so have no idea what the road is like. Do NOT want to get in over our heads and end up in a situation that we don't have the experience to handle.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I cant help you with the route but thought I'd comment.

When we got ours I had never towed before either. Best advice I got was from my sister (who drives large public transit buses) when I was beginning: Go slow as you need, take turns wide and slow, keep a good distance between you and the vehicle in front, if someone pops in slow down to recover the distance. make sure you look at the mirrors very frequently. It can be nerve wracking when you start, but that does ease with experience. Keep your initial trips short is the one I didn't follow. Drive from BC to southern CA I've been in and out of some very tight spots, just remember SLOW.

I also tend to look at satellite images sometimes if I'm going somewhere with smaller roads and I haven't been there.

Another helpful thing if you haven't, search the forums for a trip checklist (what to look at before driving off).
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Newbies here. Just picked up our 23' trailer on Monday. Have never towed before.

We're currently at a campground in Vacaville, about 15 miles from the Airstream dealer where we picked her up.

Want to get to Mendocino, but would like advice on the easiest, safest way for us to get there, given that we have zero towing experience.

Considering the following (based on a map, but no idea of reality!)

1) Rt 80 to Rt 37 to Rt 116 through Petaluma to Rt 1 from Tomales to Mendocino.

Good idea? Terrible idea? Any safer way for us to get there?
Since this will be your first time towing the trailer, I would be more inclined to advise 80 to 37 to 101 in Petaluma to the 126 in Cloverdale and then to the 1 towards Mendocino. While Hwy 1 is very scenic, it might be a little nerve wracking for you break-in trip.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Since this will be your first time towing the trailer, I would be more inclined to advise 80 to 37 to 101 in Petaluma to the 126 in Cloverdale and then to the 1 towards Mendocino. While Hwy 1 is very scenic, it might be a little nerve wracking for you break-in trip.

I agree with this revised route. Towing any trailer on highway 1 - north of SF- is no fun.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You are not crazy - just ambitious. Stay 100% alert, in the middle of your lane, don't follow too close, and plan your escape routes before exiting a primary route.

First, you are off I80 now, so you are experienced. So caution is advised, but that 23 will follow you. Just be 100% attentive and conservative.

Issue with your route - 80-37-116-1. I80, you know. The worst is Fairfield to Vacaville. The Travis, Highway 12 and 680 exit areas are busy. Setup in the third lane and watch for folks doing stupid things to get where they want to go faster than they should. On the North side of Vallejo there is an interchange to 37. That transitions to city intersections with traffic lights until you get out of Vallejo. Really tall bridge over the Napa river. Watch for folks entering at your right on both sides of the bridge.

The 37 is almost always busy. Take it easy, use the passing lanes to allow the backup behind you to clear. The 121 intersection with 37 can be tied up, so pay attention to your lane choice. There is a railroad crossing just prior, so watch for a rough transition and vehicles that may have to stop. Stay left until you get clear of the merge and a bit up the hill on the West side of the light. The 116 (Lakeville Highway) is a short cut, so it gets used by trucks , which will try to hurry you along. They are restricted to 55 mph too. Folks do enter from driveways and cross roads, so stay alert and don't follow too close. This is an easy introduction to CA 2 lanes, so settle into it.

You will take the 101 until the 116 turns West. The 101 is very busy. Take care and be ready for slow downs. Rush hour in this area is a bumper to bumper drag. Most of the rest of your trip is standard California two lane. Do not feel you have to pull over to clear your rear if you can keep a steady pace. If you do use a pull out watch out for drop offs. They hurt trailer sewer drains.

Highway 1 is not bad with a 23. You will have tight u-turns with hills, some degraded pavement, great views you can't look at (you are driving) and bicycles. Look for well maintained turnouts. Watch for driveways in those turnouts that have drop offs at the edges. Go slow to get off the road!

Fuel - fill up before you leave the area of 101. A stop on 116 might be advised to give you a break before 101. Look for fuel stop opportunities to keep the tank full as you progress. The station pavement may not be in best repair, so watch for holes in their parking lots.

When/if you return this route, watch out for traffic on 37. The 121 intersection can get very busy. Race days shut it down big time. It can be bumper to bumper from 101 to 121 on a Sunday afternoon.

If you go out the top of the 1 and over to the 101, that section is very tight and twisty. It is doable with a 23, but there is a lot of mirror usage, lots of hairpins and some steep climbing. You will be glad the 23 is only 8 ft wide. Note, the avatar is a picture of the rig in the pullout at the top end of 1. We had just finished that section heading South from visiting the Redwoods.

You have picked a true shake down trip for your first effort. It will put your skill to the test. It will also be a memorable trip for you.

Travel conservatively. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Thanks everyone.

We will most likely take the 126 route. Have NO desire for views. LOL! Just want to be as safe as possible.

All of your driving tips are much appreciated as well. We'll review all of these comments again tonight.

In Mendocino, we're going to try to get a camping spot at Russian Gulch State Park, assuming it's not one of those tricky places to get in and out of.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
For a first time towing experience, I think you're better off on 126. We drove Route 1 from Point Reyes Station all the way up the coast to Oregon week before last. The Napa/Sonoma fires knocked out a lot of cell towers and we had almost no cell signal all the way up the northern CA coast, even in many of the towns. Take a paper map with you!
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A number of you have mentioned 101 to 126 via Cloverdale, but isn't the correct number 128?

Good call not to take 1 along the coast for any longer than you have to, for this inaugural tow. Glad it worked out to pick up the trailer right after the Napa wild fires.

Have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Maybe I missed this but can I assume the dealer set up your hitch for you? This would be priority one.
I would then find the largest unoccupied parking lot near you and practice driving around to see how it feels and remember the trailer does not follow the exact path the tow vehicle takes, and practice backing into spaces untill you are confident.
The ability to back into a campsite is a must and just take it slow and go easy on your spotter, getting out to look as many times as needed.
Good luck and trying to travel outside of peak traffic will make life easier.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Towing advice Vacaville to Mendocino

From Vacaville, I would take the classic route to Mendocino, which for you would be 80 to 505 to 5. At Williams, take 20 to 101, bypassing all the Bay Area traffic and any residual fire problems there may be in the Santa Rosa area. Go north on 101 until you get to Willits, and then east on 20 to Ft Bragg. This route is easy-peasy until you get to Willits, and then has some roller coaster roads through the coast range until you get to Ft Bragg. Just take it slow on this section of hwy 20, and use the frequently available turnouts to let the traffic behind you get by. Gear down on the downhill parts of this road; don't depend totally on your brakes. I have used this route probably 50 times in the last 40 years, with and without trailers, and have never had any problems.

Check out the Pomo RV Park in Ft. Bragg. It is a well maintained full service park with easy parking, and easy access to Mendocino and other nearby attractions.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
+1 for this advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
From Vacaville, I would take the classic route to Mendocino, which for you would be 80 to 505 to 5. At Williams, take 20 to 101, bypassing all the Bay Area traffic and any residual fire problems there may be in the Santa Rosa area. Go north on 101 until you get to Willits, and then east on 20 to Ft Bragg. This route is easy-peasy until you get to Willits, and then has some roller coaster roads through the coast range until you get to Ft Bragg. Just take it slow on this section of hwy 20, and use the frequently available turnouts to let the traffic behind you get by. Gear down on the downhill parts of this road; don't depend totally on your brakes. I have used this route probably 50 times in the last 40 years, with and without trailers, and have never had any problems.

Check out the Pomo RV Park in Ft. Bragg. It is a well maintained full service park with easy parking, and easy access to Mendocino and other nearby attractions.
I was born and raised around those parts and Mcdave has it right. The only thing I'd add is that by state law, if there are 5 or more vehicles being impeded by you, you must use the turn outs. That said, go at your pace and make your turns wide.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
I was born and raised around those parts and Mcdave has it right. The only thing I'd add is that by state law, if there are 5 or more vehicles being impeded by you, you must use the turn outs. That said, go at your pace and make your turns wide.

Ian
Are you agreeing that it is the best route, generally speaking, or that it's the best route for newbie towers?

The dealer installed our pro pride hitch and did the basic set up. Since we haven't towed before, we don't know what it should feel like. We are assuming it's set up pretty well. And looking at the truck and trailer from the side, everything looks level, so I don't think we have anything really egregious going on.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
This is a personal bias for me. We lived on the Sonoma Coast at Sea Ranch for 20 years both as a every other weekend second home while living in Clayton then as a primary. My initial reaction was agreement with interstateflyer.

However after reading Pat's (PKI) the memories of the drive and views flooded back. To some it's a real bugger. I'll look for a few threads on the Jenner to FB drive and post if I can an find them. However with a 23 it should be fine. With a 30 I'd wait for more experience as there are two spots that you'll see the 30's have dragged. Just remember the big rigs (16 wheelers) drive this all day long for deliveries to the greater Gualala area,

I would differ from Pat in "You will take the 101 until the 116 turns West." We did that (101 to 116 Sebastapol or 101 to WB River Road a few miles N of Santa Rosa) at first but discovered the Bodega Bay approach is not only more scenic but a much easier drive. 13 years ago we moved from Sea Ranch to EUG instead of back down the hill to Santa Rosa because of the 101 corridor congestion.

So when on the Lakeville cutoff from 37 (Lakeville Highway/116), continue under 101 (not getting on) ...you're now on Lakeville St. into Petaluma turning Left (west) onto E Washington which in a few blocks become Bodega Highway. You'll go past the Springhill Church/Rd. (I believe inspiration for the Springhill Puppy farm by Charles Schultz who lived in the area when he started the Peanuts column) thru Two Rock & Valley Ford which is where Hwy 1 intersects, and up to Hwy 1 to Bodega Bay. A little windy after BBay but good 2 lane road with some great pullouts on the left. About 10 miles past BBay you'll see 116 from Gurneville (Pronounced Gurnville) on the right...bare left towards Jenner and start the the drive up the coast. I think the sign says, Hwy 1: Jenner 3 miles, Sea Ranch 27 Miles (an hour by car)

Personally I think it is the most beautiful and accessible for hiking of any section of California coast...especially Gerstle Cove/Salt Point SP.

In fact every time I see Pat' post, his avatar it reminds me of and maybe is that section of Hwy 1, specifically called High Point ...just S of the old (Original) Cassini Ranch/Ft Ross and incidentally where the San Andreas fault heads back inland.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ia-153732.html (Ignore the OP's heading)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1759724

Either way you get to Mendo it is a great trip. Anderson Valley and Booneville are beautiful too. Roderer Champagne, (IMO CA's best offering) has a winery/tasting room in Anderson Valley.

Happy Trails

Bob

p.s. weirdstuff: I have been meaning to send you a PM ever since your post re " Where to park the Space Shuttle" that mentioned the Thorn St Brewery, but seeing it again in the beer thread convinced me. I'll PM you in a few days.

Bob... Ex resident of of Switzer Canyon in the 70's during my college years

b

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
You are not crazy - just ambitious. Stay 100% alert, in the middle of your lane, don't follow too close, and plan your escape routes before exiting a primary route.

First, you are off I80 now, so you are experienced. So caution is advised, but that 23 will follow you. Just be 100% attentive and conservative.

Issue with your route - 80-37-116-1. I80, you know. The worst is Fairfield to Vacaville. The Travis, Highway 12 and 680 exit areas are busy. Setup in the third lane and watch for folks doing stupid things to get where they want to go faster than they should. On the North side of Vallejo there is an interchange to 37. That transitions to city intersections with traffic lights until you get out of Vallejo. Really tall bridge over the Napa river. Watch for folks entering at your right on both sides of the bridge.

The 37 is almost always busy. Take it easy, use the passing lanes to allow the backup behind you to clear. The 121 intersection with 37 can be tied up, so pay attention to your lane choice. There is a railroad crossing just prior, so watch for a rough transition and vehicles that may have to stop. Stay left until you get clear of the merge and a bit up the hill on the West side of the light. The 116 (Lakeville Highway) is a short cut, so it gets used by trucks , which will try to hurry you along. They are restricted to 55 mph too. Folks do enter from driveways and cross roads, so stay alert and don't follow too close. This is an easy introduction to CA 2 lanes, so settle into it.

You will take the 101 until the 116 turns West. The 101 is very busy. Take care and be ready for slow downs. Rush hour in this area is a bumper to bumper drag. Most of the rest of your trip is standard California two lane. Do not feel you have to pull over to clear your rear if you can keep a steady pace. If you do use a pull out watch out for drop offs. They hurt trailer sewer drains.

Highway 1 is not bad with a 23. You will have tight u-turns with hills, some degraded pavement, great views you can't look at (you are driving) and bicycles. Look for well maintained turnouts. Watch for driveways in those turnouts that have drop offs at the edges. Go slow to get off the road!

Fuel - fill up before you leave the area of 101. A stop on 116 might be advised to give you a break before 101. Look for fuel stop opportunities to keep the tank full as you progress. The station pavement may not be in best repair, so watch for holes in their parking lots.

When/if you return this route, watch out for traffic on 37. The 121 intersection can get very busy. Race days shut it down big time. It can be bumper to bumper from 101 to 121 on a Sunday afternoon.

If you go out the top of the 1 and over to the 101, that section is very tight and twisty. It is doable with a 23, but there is a lot of mirror usage, lots of hairpins and some steep climbing. You will be glad the 23 is only 8 ft wide. Note, the avatar is a picture of the rig in the pullout at the top end of 1. We had just finished that section heading South from visiting the Redwoods.

You have picked a true shake down trip for your first effort. It will put your skill to the test. It will also be a memorable trip for you.

Travel conservatively. Pat
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Are you agreeing that it is the best route, generally speaking, or that it's the best route for newbie towers?

The dealer installed our pro pride hitch and did the basic set up. Since we haven't towed before, we don't know what it should feel like. We are assuming it's set up pretty well. And looking at the truck and trailer from the side, everything looks level, so I don't think we have anything really egregious going on.
I'm agreeing it's a good newbie route. I've towed all kinds of BS throughout those parts and while there are many ways to skin this cat, I believe with the perimeters you've stated, it's a solid route.

As for your hitch setup, it should feel "good". Smooth, responsive, in control. If you want a metric, tow on just a ball for 50 miles then go back to your WD hitch. Even if it's not perfect, it's lightyears ahead of what our ancestors towed with.
You'll get the feel the more miles you put under you. In my book, when I'm parked at level spot where I can see the whole rig and it looks straight, level and true from stem to stern, it's just fine.

Good luck and have fun.
Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
good suggestion

CD, good suggestion - It's a bit South, but the Bodega Bay routing is our standard for a visit to the North section of HW1. The Bodega Bay RV Park, located on the North side of town is a full service park with pull through sites (~$55). It's gravel and does not have a view of the ocean, but is easy to get into, well run and convenient as it is located a nice distance from the Bay area. It makes a good jumping off point to do the coast.

Another comment to add. If you really are not looking for ocean views (SD has lots) and Mendocino is not a very special destination for you, like where you proposed to your wife, I'd skip it and run up 101 to Benbow. There is a KOA there that is quite usable. If you drop the trailer there, you can drive up to the Avenue of the Giants. The redwoods there are truly magnificent. Take a lunch and enjoy those towering giants, the ferns and a truely scenic drive. The 101 will give you a nice shake down run with less stress than the trip to the coast.

I suspect you will get lots of smiles as you explore this wonderful country with your new coach. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just driving through the redwoods is impressive. Take a short walk into a grove, and it feels like walking into church.

We went there years ago, camping out of a Volvo station wagon with our three boys, youngest was only 8 months old. Tent leaked, was always warming formula over a campstove in the rain, etc. Was a fantastic trip. I suspect that’s why all three of them grew up to be Eagle Scouts and still love the outdoors...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:04 AM   #19

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
It is the best route, living in Fairfield, we just drove that route in the spring. We stopped half way and overnighted up in the hills to break up the drive since we left after work.
Glass beach is nothing right now, it's bern picked over so much, but the rest of the coast is beautiful. We stayed at MacKerricher State Park. It was beautiful but you only have water hookups.
From there we drove up and down the coast exploring it.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #20

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Here are a couple of pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170430_191622.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	297787Click image for larger version

Name:	20170430_175903.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	297788Click image for larger version

Name:	20170430_174404.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	297789 All with in a half hour drive south of Fort Bragg. If you like chocolate stop at the chocolate store there.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote