Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We do not find our Interstate ungainly, slow, tall or inefficient for driving around town or in cities. The only city limitation is parking garages, which we have to avoid because of height limitations. We've never had a problem finding other parking.
Parallel parking in a downtown area could also be a problem unless you can find two spaces end-to-end and take (and pay for) them both.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Doug has maneuvered us through many big cities without a scratch.
You don't drive it? Why not?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknathan View Post
A few years ago I had a dream of living in an Airstream which I towed with a VW Bus. Research lead me to the realization that a VW Bus would never be able to handle such a load..,so my family of 3+dog ended up forgetting about the Airstream part of the equation and have happily been roaming around in this old Volkswagen.

However, we have expanded from 3 to 5, with number 6 (including grandma), on the way as of September. We've finally concluded that we need to upgrade. The decision is bittersweet, as if you've never lived on the road in a "hippie van" well, you may want to try it ASAP.

So anyway, our plan was to get a Vintage Airstream in relatively good condition for around $7000, and tow it with a Roadtrek. Apparently, Roadtreks are rated at 8100lbs and I believe I've seen Vintage AS at around 8000lbs. I know that's pushing it considering we'll have gear on board as well as water, but alas, such is my desire. Living in the Bus is so great because unlike an RV, we can easily venture into cities, up narrow winding roads and into national forests. A Roadtrek would offer that type of occasionally more cramped flexibility if it can handle the tow job.

So I'm just wondering if anyone might have any experience in this arena?
Interestingly enough, have you seen a product called "Dub-Box?" It looked interesting and may be right up your alley!
Photo Gallery - Dub-Box Retro Caravan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dub-box-camper.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	157321  
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Parallel parking in a downtown area could also be a problem unless you can find two spaces end-to-end and take (and pay for) them both.
Agreed, but we've done it, or found a public lot that suited us better. Never been a problem.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
You don't drive it? Why not?
I do drive it, and don't find it a problem.

Doug loves to drive, anything and anywhere, and I like to look at what we're passing.

I navigate, he takes the wheel---unless he needs me to, for whatever reason, or I just have a yen to drive.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
I do drive it, and don't find it a problem.

Doug loves to drive, anything and anywhere, and I like to look at what we're passing.

I navigate, he takes the wheel---unless he needs me to, for whatever reason, or I just have a yen to drive.
I'm glad to hear that - it took me a while to get my wife to drive the B190 and now the trailer. But she does and it's great for us on trips to share driving.

For parking, one issue I can think of is the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry - they have a parking deck which is okay for pickups I think, but not much taller, and it's not really a good neighborhood around the museum. I'd hesitate to park any expensive vehicle there.

It's also a little different for me since I've always traveled with my cat, who needs air conditioning during the summer. Yes, I had a generator, but still... And what about keeping the fridge cold?

Up until we were involved in an accident with the B190, I always towed a car on a dolly with the B190 for running around at the destination. That wasn't much fun (well, the running around town in a relatively inexpensive, fun car was fun - but towing it and getting it on and off the dolly was not fun).

Anyway, my original thoughts were about the B190 and its towing capabilities; it's not exactly the same as the question asked, but some of the things I found might still be useful for someone.

In general, the B190 doesn't make a wonderful towing platform because its GCVW is 15,000 lbs, but the van itself was 9,000 lbs, leaving just 6,000 lbs for people, trailer, and supplies - which really isn't a lot when planning to tow an Airstream travel trailer. Of course people still towed their 34' trailers with them. You can probably fudge the 15,000 a bit but I wouldn't get too much heavier. The Roadtrek van numbers are probably comparable.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77

Interestingly enough, have you seen a product called "Dub-Box?" It looked interesting and may be right up your alley!
Photo Gallery - Dub-Box Retro Caravan
Um, no I had never seen that! What a cool idea, even if it does mean some poor VW had to die.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #28

1976 31' Sovereign
Thanks everyone on this, especially REDNAX. We did end up going custom. Bought a 95 Chevy Van, a G20 with low miles and all the power and towing capabilities we need. It came with a couch/ bed and next ill be researching how to build a solar powered with battery back up mini sink/ heater/outlet area so it can actually work as a pod on its own, even if we leave the AS behind at times. Our baby's due in a couple of weeks and so that gives me about five months to get this thing outfitted, find the right AS and we'll be bak on the road before Spring!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You're welcome . . we all of us learn from each other. I see on the other thread you've "awoken" that experienced A/S and van owners have been able to give you the info to get rolling. Hope you'll link these threads together, first, and, second, update us as convenient with more information plus pictures of your rig, separately and together.

As with your opening post above, hippie van , makes for some quite interesting possibilities for full-timing.

Best to the soon-to-be mother, and hopes for no real problems as you outfit the rig.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #30

1976 31' Sovereign
Thought I'd drop by here again with a little update. We finally picked up our AS, a '76 Sovereign in pretty decent shape. We've decided against the setting up the van with a sink or mini-fridge or anything like that. I've learned that the AS can actually charge the Van's battery (though yet to test this all out) as long as the trailer's plugged in, so for most situations that will do for us...a way to charge our phones and keep a light or two on at night as we're going to sleep.

Yesterday--as we hitched the AS up and started up a ridiculously winding western North Carolina road--was my first time ever towing a trailer of that size. I took it nice and slow, since the road was literally switch backs all the way to where we were parking to do some work on it, but at one point we got to swaying and I have to say...that was the freakiest thing I've been involved in since I was a teenager.

Today has been spent researching from the front sofa bed...fun times.
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Best of luck with the new one.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #32

1976 31' Sovereign
Thought I'd drop a little update as it was requested I do so in the past.

We've come pretty far with our renovation of the interior. A few curtains to sew and we'll be done. We did an article about how to find an Airstream and at the end posted some pics of before / after / during if anyone's interested.

How to Purchase and Renovate the Interior of an Airstream

Here's one:

That link above will take you straight to the photos so you can skip all of the fluffy intro stuff.