Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Tow Vehicle Quality Reviews?

Howdy!

Been researching a new TV for my Sport 22FB.

Found all the specs and reviews but can't find long term quality and issues with each.

I've been spoiled with a series of Toyotas having over 20 years of literally 100% perfect performance, not one issue, not one minute in a shop, starts every time! Resale value on each excellent.

Research is pointing towards the F150 but are they getting 200K trouble free miles? Dodge 1500 intrigues me too but again long term quality.

Opinions welcome but looking for a good site that has say the downside of each and what I can expect after the factory warranty expires.

Being Toyota guy the Tundra makes sense but MPG and styling severely lacking. But at least its an old fashioned truck with put too much computer controlled engine performance; it should out last most of the competition but that just means I'll spend $1000's on fuel and have a 1995 looking interior unless I spend $60K....

Oh yea! Trying to keep it ~$45K if you want to chime in model wise...

Thanks,

Rounder44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings...endable-trucks
My 2015 Silverado 2500 was well under $45K from CarMax.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Tow Vehicle Quality Reviews?

You will undoubtedly get many opinions. Research Andy Thompson and CanAm in Ontario.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
At the definite risk of offending many brand diehards.

As you yourself mentioned, you've been spoiled. Not just spoiled but that is going to be the bar by which you judge any future vehicles. I would say you're setting yourself up for disappointment to get anything else long term. Every other manufacturer trades more features and big numbers, at the cost of long term reliability and durability.

If you read between the lines on these boards, domestic owners are changing their vehicles regularly at 100k miles. Sure, many are affluent and just want new. But there's just as many examples where money is a concern, yet they need to upgrade.

It's because any other brand simply does not hold up to the degree that a Toyota will over the long term. Interior starts falling apart. Many little nits start occuring. Sometimes big nits such and driveline, suspension, or transmission need to be replaced. Statistically, there is data that definitively puts Toyota out ahead in this regards for long term satisfaction. It's not chance that Toyota has earned a reputation on long term reliability, with high resale, in the used car market. It's also not chance that Ford consistently rates just below average in various studies. Their advanced features and gizmos perhaps a liability in the long term.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Howdy!

Been researching a new TV for my Sport 22FB.

Found all the specs and reviews but can't find long term quality and issues with each.

I've been spoiled with a series of Toyotas having over 20 years of literally 100% perfect performance, not one issue, not one minute in a shop, starts every time! Resale value on each excellent.

Research is pointing towards the F150 but are they getting 200K trouble free miles? Dodge 1500 intrigues me too but again long term quality.

Opinions welcome but looking for a good site that has say the downside of each and what I can expect after the factory warranty expires.

Being Toyota guy the Tundra makes sense but MPG and styling severely lacking. But at least its an old fashioned truck with put too much computer controlled engine performance; it should out last most of the competition but that just means I'll spend $1000's on fuel and have a 1995 looking interior unless I spend $60K....

Oh yea! Trying to keep it ~$45K if you want to chime in model wise...

Thanks,

Rounder44
I have owned 4 TV's over the years towing 4 different AS's. I loved the Tahoe for maneuverability and comfort, but mileage, power towing, handling a 25' AS, and most of all, payload capacity for the things I carry (generator, firewood, fuel).

I owned my F150 Echoboost 4x4 crew cab 5 years; 130K miles; no mechanical issues and NO interior issues; everything held up fine with dog and kids. The only issue was my payload was limited...I didn't check prior to purchase,. There are several models including Toyota of course, that will handle your Sport. I can say you will appreciate a pickup for the utility of having a bed in back, if your interested in carrying fuel, generator, firewood, etc...just make sure the payload is above 1400lbs. You can find a Lariat fairly well equipped in your price range. If you decide to get an F150, make sure you get the tow package and long range tank- 36ga, and you should be fine.
I suggest you test drive RAM, Toyota, Ford, and Chevy; I do that every time I am looking...only way to find what you feel comfortable with...and learn differences.

Your Sport should be no problem. with most pickups..trouble is, many of us AS'ers move up in size/model at some point..so you may want to consider/anticipate if your going to stay with that size AS or be...."movin on up".
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
My 2015 Tundra is insulted that you said it has a 1995 interior!
I get 11.5 towing the 26U. Yes, the gas economy is not the best, but I'd rather spend extra at the gas station than for a tow truck in New Mexico.

I looked at a web site called "Fuelly".
I assume it's not towing mileage.
Ford F-150 = 16
Ford F-250 = 14
Dodge Ram 1500 = 16
Chevy Silverado 1500 = 16
Toyota Tundra = 15
These figures come from thousands of owners.
I'm skeptical of anecdotal evidence you'll get here. "My F-350 diesel gets 30 mpg towing my 30' Classic!"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My 2015 Tundra is insulted that you said it has a 1995 interior!
I get 11.5 towing the 26U. Yes, the gas economy is not the best, but I'd rather spend extra at the gas station than for a tow truck in New Mexico.

I looked at a web site called "Fuelly".
I assume it's not towing mileage.
Ford F-150 = 16
Ford F-250 = 14
Dodge Ram 1500 = 16
Chevy Silverado 1500 = 16
Toyota Tundra = 15
These figures come from thousands of owners.
I'm skeptical of anecdotal evidence you'll get here. "My F-350 diesel gets 30 mpg towing my 30' Classic!"
Haha!

Ok!

2001 Interior ;D

I'm not so concerned with MPG per se as it'll even out when maintenance and longevity factored in.

I struck a good deal with a dealer in PHX but it's the 1995 styled bench seat, column shifter... seems those most common. But it's a TRD Off Road so a solid truck albeit more work oriented it seems..

Thanks,

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I have this tow combo. 2018 F150 ecoboost supercrew, 6.5 ‘ bed 4x4. The payload sticker with max tow and xlt package is 1759@ lbs. It tows the 22 sport really well. When I weighed it without water and minimal gear the F150 was weighted almost 50/50 front and rear. In fact the tongue weight was low so I envision water and Gear making it just right in the sweet spot.
If you want more capacity find one with max tow and heavy duty payload package. Check the yellow door sticker for weight capacity.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Tow with something different

Take a look at a 2017 and newer Nissan Titan V8 Gas model with the factory tow package. Well equipped and under 45K new. Major plus is a 6 year/100k mile bumper to bumper (not just powertrain) factory warranty. No other company even comes close. Try one. They drive very good and have plenty of power and decent payload/towing ratings.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
For a 22’ it really doesn’t matter what you tow it with. Get another Toyota if that works for you.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I had a 2015 4Runner when I got my Sport 22. It towed ok but worked very hard on the grades. I liked the 4Runner well enough, but it did have a history of nagging issues that the dealer was unable to resolve. I replaced it with an F150 3.5 Max Tow and seriously could not be happier. It is my favorite vehicle *ever*. That includes 5 Toyota trucks, Corolla, FJ Cruiser, and the 4Runner. Zero issues with the Ford in 17K miles and tows *much* better.

Pro-tip - Get the Max Tow for when you upgrade. (Picked up a 2019 GT 27 FB last week)
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #12
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
rounder44,

FYI, I pull a 2018 Flying Cloud 30' with my 2018 Tundra SR5, DC, 5.7 liter with tow package. The 38 gal. fuel tank is a plus. No lack of power. Like you, I have had several Toyota vehicles over the years. In my mind, the quality, reliability & resale value always brings me back to the Toyota brand. Good luck with your TV choice.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
You know all trucks are built to much higher standards now that in the past because of competition, so any one you pick will be perfectly fine for you 22ft.
However please take time to consider the NISSAN TITAN XD 5.O CUMMINS DIESEL.
Also available in GAS VERSION.
5 year/ 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. No one else seems willing to back their truck as long.

All American made.
Designed in California
Engineered in Michigan
Tested in Arizona
Built in Mississippi
Powered in Indiana and Tennessee
3/4 ton Pick up
555 torque
6 speed Aisian transmission

2080 payload
12,300 pound tow
Every convenience and option know to man.
What I like the most is the Zero Gravity seats. I can drive all day without fatigue.

Library quite.
I drive the XD Gas version with the 7 speed transmission. More than adequate for my 23ft. Safari.

Built with commercial grade components, fit and finish is outstanding.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Montana
The times they are a changing. When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's my grandparents bought a new car every 2-4 years, because at 50-60k miles the repair bills would be substantial. Since the 80's vehicles have regularly run 200k+ miles reliably and with minimum repairs. So owning a vehicle for 15+ years was an easy decision.

However the game is different now. With the addition over the last 10 years of increasingly effective electronics we're back to a time where you should be getting a new vehicle every 3-4 years. Electronic stability control, on board cameras, back up camera, auto park, lane change monitoring, and many others make todays vehicle much safer to drive than vehicles from 10 years ago. Not to mention safer construction, better gas mileage for today's vehicle over an 8-10 year old vehicle. The technology transformation of our vehicles is just beginning with much more safety and efficiency coming every year.

Buy the best you can afford now, new or slightly used, and plan on replacing it in 3 or 4 years. You won't believe how much will change for the better. It'll include a couple of new "must haves" that'll make travelling easier and safer.

Just my two cents. Enjoy
Ingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
2016 22' Sport
Lecanto , Florida
toyota fan

i tow my 22 fb sport with a toyota sequoia, started with a highlander but wanted more power in mountains. very happy and comfortable.
9000 miles ave 11.5 mpg. on trip florida to idaho on a two month trip.
WDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Nissan Titan XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
You know all trucks are built to much higher standards now that in the past because of competition, so any one you pick will be perfectly fine for you 22ft.
However please take time to consider the NISSAN TITAN XD 5.O CUMMINS DIESEL.
Also available in GAS VERSION.
5 year/ 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. No one else seems willing to back their truck as long.

All American made.
Designed in California
Engineered in Michigan
Tested in Arizona
Built in Mississippi
Powered in Indiana and Tennessee
3/4 ton Pick up
555 torque
6 speed Aisian transmission

2080 payload
12,300 pound tow
Every convenience and option know to man.
What I like the most is the Zero Gravity seats. I can drive all day without fatigue.

Library quite.
I drive the XD Gas version with the 7 speed transmission. More than adequate for my 23ft. Safari.

Built with commercial grade components, fit and finish is outstanding.
I agree 100% cause I have one. The difference is I pull a 30' Airstream. He's pulling a Sport 22'. Most any SUV will pull that with ease. I do love my Cummins XD.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
We just got a 2018 Tahoe to tow our 26' overlander.....it pulls it great, and is getting 12-13 mpg towing....

These are my observations...

1. New pick ups are ridiculously overpriced new....of course, as long as the public keeps buying them, they will continue to raise the price.
No matter what you get, unless it is another Toyota, you will probably be disappointed at some point, with the need for service.

I mean no disrespect to the Ram guys, but Dodge trucks fall apart at an unprecedented rate....and I mean fall apart, literally. The entire front suspension, and steering fails on those trucks in no time.....If it were not for the Cummins motor, those trucks would be worthless, imo.

The Chevy/GMC line of full size suv's have a long history of good service, and are fairly heavy duty.

I do not see many people using Ford Expeditions for tv's, and I don't really know why, other than a string of bad engine problems a number of years ago......early cam phasers would fail, and it usually resulted in catastrophic engine failure.

For me, buying a 55-75,000 pick up truck to tow a camper is not a good value unless you really need a truck. An suv is much more useful, and in most cases will haul just about as much, save the HD lines of each....

I have to employ Dave Ramsay's ethics when buying cars......If I can get the exact same vehicle, 2 years old, and save $20,000 , I just have to do it. After I drive a new car for 2 years, it is still a used car. And I just gave the next owner $20,000 free. I don't like that.

But as someone mentioned earlier , some folks have tons of extra cash laying around, and the $$ is a secondary issue to them, which is cool too.

I do not like the new diesel engine trucks.....those motors are so complex, and super expensive to work on, and getting service can be difficult and take a long time.....My brother has a Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins diesel.....about 180,000 miles now......He has completely rebuilt that truck from front to back, save the Transmission.....The motor has been pretty good, but has died several times, while out of town, and left him basically stranded, numerous times.....now it needs new fuel injectors......6 fuel injectors.....$3,000.00 !!!!!!! And that was a cut rate price from a local shop that is run by a friend ! ......they just not worth it, not to mention it is so noisy I want to shoot myself after 3-4 hours riding in it.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Whatever you get...make sure it has the stiffest off-road suspension available with a big long bed. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Livingston , Texas
I Drive 2016 GMC Canyon diesel 16 to 19 mpg pulling 2018 19 foot tommy bahama has great power and exhaust brake for mountain driving
Old 03-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #20
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Check the payload

I love Toyota’s, but check payload on tundra’s and sequoia’s. In my research, I have not found many Toyota’s that exceed 1200 lbs. Yes, they tow a lot but you have to check the payload. Most sale folks do not understand this calculation and impact on towing.

For those towing 30 ft AS’s, with a TW of about 1,000 lbs with any Toyota including Land Cruiser. Not much payload left for passengers and cargo. My brother’s beautiful new 4x4 Tundra Limited included only 1,150 lbs of payload!

Plan for upgrade after brief usage, like many fellow AS’ers. Purchase the TV today that will tow this small AS and your next larger AS.

My experience from talking with hundreds of travelers towing a variety of trailers - plan on about 10MPG towing. If you get better mileage, be happy!

Another recommendation - drop by a nearby campground and walk around it and talk to the campers about their TV - they are always glad to share their experiences with you. Over 200 Airstreams at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, FL from 19 to 34 footers and few Tundra TV’s.

My favorite conversation with a Toyota Tundra owner was along I-80 Eastbound, at a Rest Stop in Wyoming, Tundra was a crew cab, 5.7L engine towing an approx 26ft SOB trailer, five folks inside with driver, topper that was crammed to the top and front end was pointing to the sky. Try driving that setup after dark! I asked how they liked their Tundra and they said they loved it! Way over payload, questionable WD hitch and still happy???

We have been towing a renovated 26 ft 1964 Overlander over 10,000 miles the first year after completion of project with an ‘09 4.6L F150 SC with 1,405 payload, which has provided flawless service all these years. We are over our Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating, but within payload. We just purchased a 1989 34 ft, triple axle Excella for extended stays in Florida at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne. Time for an upgraded TV to get the trailer to Georgia and begin the TLC to make her our home! Titan XD and F250 are options.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote