Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
TomTom iPhone App?

Does anyone use the TomTom iPhone or Droid app?

I don't want a separate piece of hardware on my dashboard but I might consider adding an app to the iPhone.

I/we are reasonably happy with the built-in maps on the iPhone but the showing specific lanes and exit ramps (regular vs. cloverleaf) would be handy and it looks like that is part of the app.

Priced at $25 it is high for an app but inexpensive compared to a GPS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomt...343289842?mt=8
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Yes, I have used this for the last year and a half. It has been great for us. It is nice to always have a GPS in your pocket. Because Sue and I use the same itunes account we have it on both Iphones and her ipad. My Ipad does not have gps so it is a no go. I really like only having a single device on the dash. The screen may be a bit small but has not been a real problem. Once in a while I have Sue take a closer look.

Safe travels and hope to see you soon.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
On iPhone I have TomTom, copilot live!, and Navigon. Now that I've moved to android, I repurchased Navigon as my choice. I am more than happy to go into the pros and cons of each, but if you have specific questions on TomTom, I'll try and answer to the subject at hand.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Thanks for the replies. It's good to know there are at least two Airstreamers out there who have used the TomTom app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
On iPhone I have TomTom, copilot live!, and Navigon. Now that I've moved to android, I repurchased Navigon as my choice. I am more than happy to go into the pros and cons of each, but if you have specific questions on TomTom, I'll try and answer to the subject at hand.

Ian
I was shortsighted when I made reference to only the TomTom app. Yes, that was the app that seemed appealing to me but I'm certainly willing to consider alternatives.

To keep life simple for now I'd like to hear the positive and negative of the TomTom app and perhaps give a comparison to the Navigon app and why you like it better (I presume).

Thanks
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I have tried most of the gps apps available for the iPhone and to me Navigon is the best hands down. Just about every review of gps apps has also concluded the same. Unfortunately it is one of the most expensive gps apps, but still way cheaper than an actual gps. However maps are updated regularly and it also works natively on the iPad in case you wanted a larger screen.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
TomTom iPhone App?

Triple agreement with Navigon - though I'll say the IOS version is more mature than the android.

Alas, with the high initial cost, the benefits I enjoy the most are in-app additional purchase; things such as quarterly updated maps, three-dimension topographical overlay (great for towing in the mountains, etc.) traffic updates and (when on figured appropriately) automatic traffic route arounds, etc. I find the built-in scenic route generator, when selected, of the Navigon produces a far more enjoyable driving experience than the other two apps. Finally, for those people into all thing shiny, the Navigon app seamlesly integrates with Garmin Heads-Up-Display kit to project my cockpit and turn information onto the interior of my windshield so I don't get distracted looking away from the road or traffic.

Finally, the ipad version of Navigon is an independent binary, not jut the iPhone version with the 2x button ticked.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
The be a little clearer on what IanPoulin said, the iPad version of Navigon is NOT and independent binary, it is a universal app meaning the same app works in both the iPad and iPhone but it has native views for both devices, meaning it looks and works great and when used on the iPad it's not simply a magnified version of the iPhone version.

The distinction is important because what this means is that you do not have to buy the app twice (as you sometimes have to), one purchase will allow you to install the app on all your iOS devices and the interface will adjust to the screen size.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Triple agreement with Navigon - though I'll say the IOS version is more mature than the android.

Finally, the ipad version of Navigon is an independent binary, not jut the iPhone version with the 2x button ticked.

Ian
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote