Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Toll Bridge Louisville, KY

Be aware of the toll on the southbound side of I-65 bridge crossing the Ohio River into Louisville, KY. There is NO place to pay the toll, they send you a bill for $7.00 per vehicle, $14.00 for vehicle and trailer. I have never seen a toll with NO toll booth like this. Looks like US 31 is the alternative to the toll bride now. I do not think there is a toll on the North bound side, at lease I did not get a bill for that one.
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Florida turnpike does this too.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
All of the toll roads in Orange County, CA no longer have toll booths. (The toll lanes on the 91 freeway never did.)

You have to either have an account set up and have a transponder on your car, or you must log into their website, set up an account, and pay the toll within a few days or they will fine you.

The Toll Road Authority says they did this as a "cost saving measure." I expect most toll roads and bridges will do away with toll booths if they can.

Also ran into a lack of toll booths on a bridge in Vancouver BC about a year ago. We were in a rental car and the rental agency had a plan where you could add any tolls to their bill.

One thing about doing away with toll booths: traffic flows better as there is no backup to pay at the booth.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Yeah, and when you get the bill, it'll include a picture of your truck and airstream as it goes across the bridge.
Pretty efficient but reminds me of a little too much big brother stuff.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
A good reason to hang bikes on the back of the AS covering the license plate!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The bridge does take I-pass, and is cheaper, but yes not having a booth or much notice of the fee is very very strange. No they charge in both directions, I bet you will still get a bill.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas

Both I 65 and the East End I 265 bridges are toll, no cash. EZ Pass transponder compatible. I 64 and US 31 are still free to cross.

Cashless tolling is very commonplace these days. We went with NC Quickpass as it not only works on North Carolina’s little toll road, but with EZ Pass, Peach Pass And Sunpass. Although toll roads are a necessary evil these days, total compatibility would be nice.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #8

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
A few years ago the new Carquinez Straits bridge was built that has both a toll taker and the automated charge your account (Fastrac) option.
Those that use the Fastrac option save up 15 minutes on thier commute during rush hour. Even during non-rush hour it is so nice not to have to slow down, stop, realize you don't have the money out, then dig around looking for it, then realize you don't have enough, sign the form, then speed up to get back into the flow of traffic, or heaven forbid be behind the above person.

Where in the Fastrac lanes you wiz through at 65 miles an hour. Occasionally you get stuck behind some one who slows down to 50mph because they are afraid the system might not read them.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo Family View Post
Be aware of the toll on the southbound side of I-65 bridge crossing the Ohio River into Louisville, KY. There is NO place to pay the toll, they send you a bill for $7.00 per vehicle, $14.00 for vehicle and trailer. I have never seen a toll with NO toll booth like this. Looks like US 31 is the alternative to the toll bride now. I do not think there is a toll on the North bound side, at lease I did not get a bill for that one.
We traveled North on this bridge In Louisville last August and did not receive a bill for it.
The new toll roads around central Texas do not have any way to pay cash. Either have a Toll Tag or get a higher bill in the mail.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
I understand all of the "Big Brother" concerns and perhaps even the desire to pay the toll on the spot and be done with it. However, does it make a big difference if you stop, pay the toll, and then proceed as opposed to paying the toll by check two or three weeks later? I cross that bridge a couple of times a year. When I get the bill I have my bank (bill pay) send them a check. $7.00 or $14.00 is the same now as it will be 2 or 3 weeks from now.

David Parker
1993 Excella 32'
1989 Dodge D-350
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grayslake , Illinois
Remember when they use to charge .20 per axle at they toll booths?
In Illinois also, they are now having automated tolls. More seem to be added each year. If you don't have an I Pass, you pay double, plus a fine if not paid in a week.
We need a new monitoring system to know which pass to hang in our windows.
I wonder how the truckers do it!
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Toll Bridge

Quote:
I think I have your answer. The northbound side is the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Bridge (republican, therefore free), the southbound side is the John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge (democrat, therefore toll). I hope this helps.
Happy Traveling
Jim
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
This getting to be more and more common, many times the signs that mention the toll camera are quite small.

In the case of the Louisville bridge if you are going north, exit I-65 at Elizabethtown, set your GPS to Corydon, Indiana, no toll there, and you eliminate LVL traffic. If you are southbound exit @ I-64, set your GPS top Corydon, when you get there set GPS to Elizabethtown...
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
We went thru northbound and received a bill along with a late charge. Total was about $30.00. Never got a first bill.Was going to call but didn't want to wait on phone for an hour.
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
It’s worth it to get a toll transponder of some sort, even if it’s from some other state. The tolls are usually reduced compared to mail payments, you don’t get surprises in the mail a month later, and you don’t have to mess with late payments or added fees.

Regarding Louisville, I wouldn’t suggest using the US 31 Clark bridge to avoid tolls. It puts you in the middle of downtown Louisville, and the bridge lanes are narrow. Going through Corydon/Brandenburg is a long way out of your way, too, which is fine if you want the scenic route. Navigating 264/265 west of town to cross at the I-64 Sherman Minton bridge is free.

As with all of the bigger metros, try to avoid rush hours.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The Illinois I-pass works all the way to east coast. IA OH PA NJ all accept it. More states should sign on, so that you are covered no matter where you drive. One note on the acceptance in NJ (where I am originally from) - you get into NJ for free, but you have to pay to get out!http://www.airforums.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif
Old 02-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky

best way to save money if heading north on I-65, head west on I-64 and then once you cross the river into Indiana, head east on I-265, back towards I-65 north. If headed south on I-65, head west on I-265 and connect up to I-64 towards Louisville. Once you cross the bridge in to KY on I-64 start looking for I-65 South. its a lot cheaper than paying a toll. there have been a lot of problems with the automated toll system. a ton of money spent to create huge problems for the users with no ownership of responsibilities from the tolling authority. like paying a late fee for a bill you never received. theres a lot problems about people being forced to cross the bridge, due to an accident, only to have to loop back to their original route and now paying again when you didn’t want/need to cross the bridge. another poorly implemented private sector, government implemented mandated money making endeavor
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I have no problem with reasonably priced tolls when I know that the fees are being used to pay for the bridge or road, or improvements to the bridge or road, and have an end date*. But if the toll fees are being added to the city’s general fund, and the fund is being abused by those in power, I object.

BUT, I am a practical woman, so HOW strongly I object will be defined by whether or not using the bridge or toll road saves me more money in fuel against the use of another route. Time? We’re retired, time we got.

*Here in San Diego the Coronado Bridge was paid for by bonds and toll fees, with the promise of tolls ending when the bridge was paid for. When the tolls went years past that, citizens had to sue the city for tolls to end. Coronado citizens were not happy though, they felt it kept the “riff-raff” out. Rich people suck like that.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote