Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Never had a problem...BUT...While camped we will often slightly hold the valve pedal down to deepen the standard water level. This increases the "Float Factor" and minimizes the residual effect after elimination (2). If you do this make sure you have the normal "Just cover the seal" level before you disembark. I know...GROSS 😳
merchantmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Toilet Water Splash

We replaced our original toilet in the 1967 22-ft. Safari with a Dometic 311 Low Profile. You have to let all but one inch out of the bowl before traveling or it will end up on the floor. After a normal flush there is approximately 4 inches in the bottom of the bowl.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Mine only carries just enough water to cover the seal to prevent drying and to stop odors.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
I think mine dried out because it does not maintain the water fill. How do I fix?
I replaced the entire assembly this year since mine also cracked and was leaking water on the floor after a while. They can be purchased on the internet (I got mine from eBay - "Thetford 31111 Bravura Mechanism Service Package Toilet", but just noticed it is much cheaper elsewhere). I originally purchased a rebuild kit, but one of the seals was the wrong size even though it was supposed to be for the my model. Then I also discovered that the blade cartridge was also cracked. That is what I ended up ordering and replacing. It made it a lot easier and I would do it again this way. I wouldn't bother just replacing the seals.

It is interesting that some "grease" the blade seal I presume? What type of silicon do you use? I just assumed that my seal failed from the RV antifreeze. There is always some in the bottom of the toilet no matter how hard I try.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
We've never done anything special. Nothing has ever splashed out. Once you've unhooked there is no water pressure to speak of, and even if I create some by turning on the pump for a minute to wash my hands or rinse a last dish, it's minimal at best, having been used to run the water out. Maybe we have no splash because the toilet sits directly on the wheels. In any case, this has never been an issue.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ditto on leaving a bit of water in the bottom of the toilet bowl all the time (and the water pump off while traveling) ... otherwise the seal will dry out and it will not hold water properly. We have never turned the water supply to the toilet off during travel. Having the water pump prevents water entering the toilet.

We never had an issue with water sloshing out during travel with the original toilet ... but when we replaced the original toilet with a china one, there is more water remaining in the bowl after a flush ... that, combined with the smoother surface and angle of the china bowl, there is more possibility of a slosh.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote