Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
To Florida on Friday....

We will be heading to Florida on Friday afternoon, for Thanksgiving at Long Key State Park. We have stayed there several years running, but until now, it was with a Starcraft 1701. We are looking forward to the 'upgraded' accommodations!
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There goes the neighborhood.

Have a great trip. Lock your vehicle at night. We were there 2 years ago and had some knuckleheads rummage through my truck overnight. Us as well as the adjacent campers too. Took my retired police badge and ID. I got them back several months later. They were mailed by the local PD back to my department. Don't know the circumstances of their recovery though. Our only mishap of that type while camping but it was my own fault.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Have a safe trip
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
We always lock the vehicle on site. Last year, there was a couple in a motorhome, who hated campfires. Mind you , this park has fire rings and sells firewood. I think they were full timers, who miscalculated budgets. Instead of closing the windows and using ac, he complained to us. That trip, we had a sheet metal screw in a tire while in the keys, found another on the trip home, and a third at home. Same type of screw, three different tires. I am sure this guy did it, but, short of catching on the act, can't prove it. I did email the park after our return, described him and the rig and toad, and asked to see if similar problems in other parks were reported. I got a response, no other reports. But, a short screw usually won't cause a problem right away, only down the road . If others had a problem , they might not connect it to the stay and the guy.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
That's an ambitious drive! We just drove to the panhandle of Florida from NW Indiana & that was a hike for us! We love the Keys & are headed down there via jet in January. We often go by the campground at Long Key and talk about driving it down someday. We have caught lots of fish off the bridge just south of Long Key. There is a place on Coral Key (or Conch Key, whatever they feel like calling it today) just south of Long Key, where boats come in with lobster & crab claws. It's a favorite stop for us! Have a wonderful time and wonderful weather!!!!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Two years back we were camping at Naval Sta. Key West for a few days and as we were heading back towards Everglades NP we were passing Long Key SP. The place was empty so we drove in. Every time I checked the on line CG registrations they were always full so I was surprised to see in actually empty. Well, they had taken it off the registry as they were doing some road work in the park. When we were passing the road work was done but they had not yet put it up for reservations therefore there were only 3 or 4 campers there but it was open for walk in's. So, our good fortune to spend a few days there. Should have bought some lottery tis that day.

See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
We stayed in Long Key for a week last December. We loved it, except for the no-see-ums one evening when the wind stopped blowing. Those little bugs came right through the window screens and chewed on us pretty bad. It took a few minutes to realize that we should close the windows and turn on the AC. When I sprayed some bug spray inside, the table and countertops look like salt and pepper had been spilled. That lasted only that one evening while the air was still, the rest of the time was fine. I wish I was there right now!