Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FYI the OP recently posted a fairly detailed plan in Post #17:

[click on orange arrow in quote to go directly to this post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
We just finalized our Maine trip coming up in September. Thanks to all who offered such great advice. It was very helpful.
We decided to take a circuitous route from East TN, into OH and a stop at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Niagra Falls, across NY, into ME, spending time in Bar Harbor and down into coastal southern Maine.
Home by way of Gettysburg PA and Natural Bridge VA.
Almost 4 weeks of travel cut up into shorter drives and more days than our CO trip last year.
. . .
FYI
FWIW

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post

I'm in South Central PA. I always did 81 to 84 through Hartford, then 90 to 495 to 95 in to Maine. You could pick up 81 in TN.

You could run 91 north out of Hartford, and cut across 2 to 95. That'd be a much longer trip.

Much depends on how long a person wants to take to get to where they're going

x4 for this route..... been taking it every year for the past 12 years from central Florida to Lubec, Maine. We pick up 81 from I-77 coming up through Charlotte.

Enjoy your trip no matter what route you take. Niagara Falls and Bar Harbor are great destinations..... if you're an LL Bean fan, check our their flagship store and their 24-hour complex in Freeport, Maine. Very impressive and a great stop any time of day. Quick & easy access from the highway with plenty of room to park.

Safe travels.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv2017 View Post
. . .
. . . if you're an LL Bean fan, check our their flagship store and their 24-hour complex in Freeport, Maine.
. . .
Good timing . . . starting up again next week, after Covid-related reduced days/times:

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/04/...ur-operations/

LL Bean has also announced that 7 new stores will be opening in New England and Canada, due to increased business from folks shopping online because of the virus.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
If you get near Lubec Maine stay in the sunrise RV park the most eastern RV park in the USA. See Campobello Island and the FDR summer home on the island. Oh by the way you will be crossing into Canada the island is in Canada. Go over to Eastport Maine and eat on the docks when they bring in the day catch. See the lighthouse at Quoddy Head state park. Eat at Frank’s dock side cafe in Lubec Pancake are out of this world.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:54 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Carrollton , Kentucky
We visited Bar harbor right after Labor Day a couple years back and it was spectacular. I was going to suggest the route through Ohio you have decided on, that is how my next trip to Maine will happen.

Enjoy!
MichaelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:52 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Highlands , North Carolina
Camping near smokies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Piddleplace, it sounds like you have hit the ground running since your entry into the Airstream experience last year. We are based just west of your Highlands location and are coming out of isolation. Are there campgrounds in the Smokies area you particularly enjoyed? Thanks.
Definitely! I use reserve america to book usually I love Elkmont ( near Gatlinburg) smokemont (near Cherokee) and Standung Indian near Franklin NC This weekend I am headed to Unicoi near Helen GA and fly fishing at Brigadoon I prefer national parks and state parks So many sites show full, but I call the ranger station and usually there’s a cancellation

Where have you discovered around here? We are blessed to live in this area!
Piddleplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #27
Ky

2020 27' Globetrotter
Davidsonville , Maryland
Highly recommend Normandy Farms campground in MA. One of the nicest I have ever stayed at.
kylentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
If you get near Lubec Maine stay in the sunrise RV park the most eastern RV park in the USA. See Campobello Island and the FDR summer home on the island. Oh by the way you will be crossing into Canada the island is in Canada. Go over to Eastport Maine and eat on the docks when they bring in the day catch. See the lighthouse at Quoddy Head state park. Eat at Frank’s dock side cafe in Lubec Pancake are out of this world.

Thank you for the suggestion!
We’ve added a night in Lubec to our itinerary. Crossing into Canada won’t be possible, but we can hit the Quoddy light at least.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piddleplace View Post
Definitely! I use reserve america to book usually I love Elkmont ( near Gatlinburg) smokemont (near Cherokee) and Standung Indian near Franklin NC This weekend I am headed to Unicoi near Helen GA and fly fishing at Brigadoon I prefer national parks and state parks So many sites show full, but I call the ranger station and usually there’s a cancellation

Where have you discovered around here? We are blessed to live in this area!
We had planned to do Vogel (GA) about now, but got scared off by the forecast monsoon. We’re going to do day trips to check out possibilities... Standing Indian is on the list, as well as a county park near Hayesville. Now that the spring garden work is done, we hope to see more of the area’s incredible flora. We’re not going to wander too far... the birds have discovered the feeders, and we don’t want them to go hungry.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Readfield , Maine
NE Corridor

Hi, We tow from ME to FL and back every year. Here are some notes:

- I81 is the way to go.
- Once you hit Harrisburg PA, you have options. I78 to I287 across the Tappan Zee Bridge to either I684 to I84 or I95 to I91 to I84 depending on traffic.
- tune in to AM 880 for NYC Metro Area traffic updates if you select the above routing, which is less mountainous, faster, better road surface and less construction than I81 to I84.
- I 84 in CT west of Hartford is a congested two laner with many left and right hand exits. The first rest area in CT eastbound has an RV dump station.
-I84 merges with I90 west of Worcester and I290. I avoid I290 and use the I495 exit due to congestion and road conditions. I495 merges with i95 and once your over the Piscataquis river bridge, welcome to Maine !
Greg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Great advice especially that I-84 rest area with a dump station. We slept there for a few hours many years ago on the way to Prince Edward Island.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
up the northeast corridor

I did this trip last year. Some quick notes. August/September was fine for travel in Maine/Vermont. Gorgeous scenery, some camps were starting to close.
Acadia national park roads are horrible, especially low-slung Airstreams take a beating. If I had to do it again, I would camp outside the park.
Must see places/camps.
Camden Hills State Park, Camden Maine - the camp and the town, are gorgeous
New Bedford Whaling Museum, New Bedford, Mass - one of the most impressive museums in the entire US.
Pleasant River Campground, Bethel, Maine - wonderful dog-friendly park, and the town has some great shops.
Jacob's Brook Campground, Orford, New Hampshire - the quintessential fall foilage camp. Someone carved very artistic characters on stumps and fallen logs among the camp trails. Lovely camp.
On the way back - Taylor Campground, Columbia, New Jersey - neighbors to a wild wolf preserve with tours. Fascinating.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:17 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 27' Globetrotter
Valparaiso , Florida
We had a great trip through central PA into Cooperstown NY then through Albany into Vermont and Maine. Just a note, most of the campgrounds were closing around Columbus Day in early Oct. Also, separate trip was to the Watkins Glen / finger lakes wine region in NY state, some great campgrounds around the ne corner of the lake.
Jcounsman is offline   Reply With Quote