Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
TN to CO - Fall 2020

We’re planning our first long trip in our new 25ft. FC. Having never towed a trailer before I have questions about how many hours at the wheel is the “norm”, realizing we’re all different, but seeking an average.

I think we’d like to overnight at a Walmart or Cracker Barrel on both legs, but suggestions or advice on that is also welcome.

Then, those that have made this trip please make suggestions on areas and RV parks or stay in. We plan to be in CO for at least 2 weeks. That brings another topic to inquire about and that is how long in each place do you experienced campers stay. With set-up and take-down (not sure that’s the proper terminology) I thought one would want at least 3 days or more in each spot. Thoughts?

Finally, if you have done this trip, did you follow different routes going out and coming back? Your thoughts on that are welcome. Thanks!
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I've done Knoxville to California and back 2 1/2 times. First summer was along the I-80 corridor and winter back using I-10 and I-20. I just arrived in California again, and plan on taking the I-90, I-94 corridor back this summer/fall.
Everyone is different, and if you are just driving to go to Colorado, you might just fly and rent a camper there. It's the journey. You cannot see anything from the parking lot of a Walmart or Cracker Barrel. Unhitch. Drive through the small towns, visit the museums, the zoos, the historical places. Hike a trail, swim a lake, watch a sunset. I tried to keep my daily mileage below 300 miles. I could have a nice breakfast, break camp, drive, and set up at the next place before dark. I'd scout in advance where I was going, and what was there to see. A place with attractions was usually a 3-5 day stay.
Book ahead of holidays about a month out.
The first year, I stayed almost exclusively at KOAs. They are like a fast-food place. All the same, you know what to expect. That allowed me to focus on learning the trailer, learning about towing, how best to pack, how to shop, how much food, how many clothes, what kind of accessories. It took a few months to shake that out.
A great resource while traveling was to research and attend local Airstream club rallies. It was an outstanding way to collect hints and tips on all things Airstream. The virus might put a damper on that now, but keep an eye out.
Denver? Hard to find a campground within an hour drive of downtown, but there are KOAs at each compass corner.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
We’re planning our first long trip in our new 25ft. FC. Having never towed a trailer before I have questions about how many hours at the wheel is the “norm”, realizing we’re all different, but seeking an average.

I think we’d like to overnight at a Walmart or Cracker Barrel on both legs, but suggestions or advice on that is also welcome.

Then, those that have made this trip please make suggestions on areas and RV parks or stay in. We plan to be in CO for at least 2 weeks. That brings another topic to inquire about and that is how long in each place do you experienced campers stay. With set-up and take-down (not sure that’s the proper terminology) I thought one would want at least 3 days or more in each spot. Thoughts?

Finally, if you have done this trip, did you follow different routes going out and coming back? Your thoughts on that are welcome. Thanks!

If you have a IPhone download the app Allstays. It is a life line for RV’s (in my opinion). When we are driving across country we may drive no more than two days then stop for two nights see the local sites. We do stay in WM or truck stops along the way.
We enjoy Highway 30. The Lincoln Highway. You get to see the real USA on 30. Also look at Highway 50.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There are RV sites at the Jefferson County Fair grounds.
Bear Creek Lake Park near Morrison is relatively new. It has full hookups.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
dwlowman

1998 25' Excella
Telford , Tennessee
TN to CO

We have done 2 round trips that included CO. Different routes each time to see more of the country. Not much fun to just drive out and back the same route. First trip a northern route through South Dakota to Yellowstone then back to Denver & Ft Collins. Back home thru Nebraska. Second trip southern route on I40 to Grand Canyon, back across Utah to Moab, then Grand Junction. We loved the campground in Leadville, just watch those brakes as you come back down from Leadville. We returned home this time across Kansas. We like KOAs since they are so similar. We know what to expect. Never stayed in a WM so can’t help you there. As far as daily driving distance/time, we just drive till we find something of interest or we get tired. We try to stop before dark but that has not always worked out. Setting up camp in the dark is not a huge deal though (unless it is raining also like it was in Illinois one year). Enjoy the experience!
dwlowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good advice so far. Regarding Walmart overnight parking, there is a thread here but it may be out of date post-Covid-19 IMO:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ing-13082.html

The Allstays App already mentioned has Walmart locations you can R&D ahead of time:

https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

Suggest calling any Walmart where you plan to stop to find out the current policy.

Have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Walmart and Cracker Barrel are used by many, but a poor choice for a vacation. Not the establishments, but the parking lots. Look for COE parks that are not too far from your travel route. There is one above Abilene KS if I70 becomes your path. There is a nice quiet KOA on the East side of Oklahoma City in Choctaw if I40 is your choice. Investigate Passport America parks. They are older, but extend your budget. Small town parks and lakes can be nice solutions, but may not be open this year.

Distance - when making a destination trip we travel hard to get there. That is a different type of trip than a retirement sight seeing trip where the pace is slow and deliberate. We find that 400 miles is the right mix of making miles and not burning out the driver/s. Many are more comfortable with 200-300 miles and the concept has much to commend it, but not if your time is short. We find that 500 miles or more stretches us thin, but may be required when time is limited. If you assume a 50 mile an hour average and plan an 8-10 hour day on the road, you won't be far off. This really depends on you. Shorter is better and daylight driving is safer.

How long at a destination? Three nights is nice if there are several sites to see. Two nights works if you plan to visit only one site.

The elephant in the plan - that would be Colorado. The population of CO is not large, except when the tourists flock to the state for vacation season. So, have reservations. Have a detailed plan. Be willing to change your plan. Build in time to deal with traffic. Go early or late, in the day and season, to miss some crowd. Avoid weekends like the plague.

I would do best effort to avoid the people places on the Eastern side of the state. Enter from the North off I80. See the middle and Western side of the state and take US50 East from Montrose to exit. On your next trip when you have more towing experience, look at running US550 down from Montrose to Durango and out through New Mexico or across Wolf Creek Pass to the East. Consider some time at Mesa Verde if history interests you.

Good Luck - drive conservatively - stay safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Done TN to CO MANY Times

We lived in Knoxville until last year. We live in NC now. We have a son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter in Denver. We've made the TN to CO trip multiple times!!! While in the Denver area we stay at Dakota Ridge RV Park in Golden. It's a little pricey, but it is convenient to everything including our kids. The route we take is as follows: I-40 to Nashville, I-24 to its end in Illinois, I-64 from the end of I-24 to I-70 in St. Louis, and I-70 to Denver. The RV parks where we usually stay are: Duck Creek RV Park in Paducah KY, East Kansas City KOA in Kansas City MO, Wakeeney KOA in Wakeeney KS, Triple J Campground in Russell KS, Cottonwoods RV Park in Columbia MO, and Clarksville RV Park and Campground in Clarksville TN. These parks are all good and reasonably priced. We make the trip from TN to Denver in 4 days -- three nights on the road. When we are going from one destination to another, we usually do not unhook the trailer from the truck overnight. We just connect to the electric, water, and sewer (we get full hook up -- its a little more expensive, but saves a lot of time and hassle in the morning), spend the night, and leave the next morning. It's a little over 1300 miles from Knoxville to Golden, so we drive an average of about 325 - 350 miles a day. That is plenty of time behind the wheel. BTW, we have a 2005 30' Classic. We have traveled extensively in it since 2005. We've made 5 trips to Alaska with the Airstream and have been back and forth across the US and Canada multiple times. In all our travels, we rarely drive more than 350 miles in a day. We normally stay at a destination at least 3 days. We stay longer if we can. In Alaska we spend the summer, so we typically stay at each location for a week or more. We don't like doing Walmarts and places like that -- just our preference. We know a lot of people who do use them extensively. Hope some of this helps!! Have a great trip!!!!!
JohnandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
It depends. If I'm trying to get to Colorado (I did many times) I press on for about 500 miles. But lately, I don't go as far. Download Allstays app and see what's in the area as far as campgrounds. Just passing through, I never unhooked, I was just sleeping. Mostly, I just hooked up power.
Quote:
My goal was the Montrose area (way west.) so I planned my last stop for the night in Goodland, KS. at 'High Plains campground'. Nice ladies, flat pullthrus, full hookups, reasonably priced.
In Colorado, I loved the Montrose area as a home base. Western Co. Go to Grand Junction, then 60 miles south. In the Grand Junction area, I stopped at "Colorado monument state park" (The Campground might be called Colorado River State Park, but it's just south of the Colorado Monument.) They're in Fruita, just a few miles west of Grand Junction. Nice. Just south of Montrose, I stayed at "Centennial Campground". Long pull thrus, Good people and centrally located for lots of scenic tours. Montrose is big enough to have a super Walmart and groceries, but small enough to be out of town in ten minutes. Just south to Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton, Telluride and lots of variety, including the 'Million Dollar Highway', Black Canyone of the Gunnison Nat Park, Blue Mesa Resevoir, on and on!. Must have a burger at the 'True Grit Cafe' in Ridgway
Two weeks is not enough! I stayed a month. (and hated leaving!)
Quote:
Finally, if you have done this trip, did you follow different routes going out and coming back?
No. Tennessee on 24 through Nashville, Paduka, then clip the corner of Illinois, 55 to 64 St. Louis. Take the bypasses around St. Louis and KC. Once on I-70 it's a straight shot.
Your thoughts on that are welcome. Thanks![/QUOTE]
It's a great trip! If you're there late Aug. try the Olathe sweet corn. The best ever!
I did it (from Florida) once in three days, but I don't know how. I didn't stop. Figure a thousand miles from St. Louis to Denver.
Sorry, but Denver is not worth a stop, another big city, IMO.
Traffic is bad, and there's no shortcut. I-70 through the mountains is a piece of cake if you take your time, especially on the downhill. Keep you speed under 55 and don't ride the brakes. There are no grades more than 7%, but those go on for miles.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

To make a "destination", we've found the 3-3-3 Rule works well <for us>.

-No more than 300 miles per day.
-Always stop by 3 o'clock (p.m.).
-After 3 consecutive days traveling, take at least 1 extra night before traveling again.

Typically, we get ~2 hours traveling (65mph top speed), a nice relaxing lunch, and another ~2 hours on the road. That usually lands us in the 250-300 mile/1-3 p.m. range. But, you may find such a pace too leisurely.

We've traveled from Phoenix to Knoxville as a "destination" trip (9 days). We've also made the trip as a sight-seeing venture (17 days), staying an extra day or two here and there to see local interests.

A few times, we've stayed in one place for a week, and explored an area in depth.

And, we've met a full-timer couple who make a one or two day travel trip, spend 2 weeks (minimum) really getting to know an area, then a day or two to get to their next 2-week "culture class".

Have fun finding out what works for you.

Bd
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Too Many Options

We just completed a Georgia to Denver trip pulling our 26’ vintage trailer with our one year old F250 with the gas engine. Your TV can make a world of difference on the distance you can comfortably drive each day. We made a similar trip in the Fall of ‘18 from Georgia to Seattle with our ‘09 F150 with a 4.6L V8 and were advocates to 300 miles and stopping by 3PM! However, F250 changed that attitude. Difference between the two TV’s was night and day! The F250 provided a very relaxing way to spend long days towing! We found Flying J does a great job of advertising “RV Friendly” truck stops that allowed us to fill up and offered great parking options. We made the trip over 4 days, 3 nights because our family wanted us to arrive by 15May = not the best way to travel In My Opinion. Since we were on a “get there” trip, we did not need a lot of time in the evening to sit in an RV Park, CB, or WM! We spent first night at CB at East Ridge, TN, Scott AFB FAMCAMP (70 miles E of St Louis), second night, and Triple J RV park in Russell, KS.

Seems most RV’s were driving a lot faster than our 65MPH, but we were very comfortable at 65, shut off 6th speed and had few downshifts, which was worrisome on our last trip with the ‘09 F150, since we could not turn off overdrive.

We will spend a month or so out West and take a southerly route home. There is so much to see in Colorado, that is currently closed, so we will focus on visiting friends instead of sight seeing.

Places that we love in Colorado,
Ouray - rent a Jeep and see the most gorgeous mountain scenes and abandoned gold mines in the world!, They also have a hot spring pool that is relaxing,
Durango - ride the train to Silverton to experience a wonderful experience on the train and see a quaint summer only town in Silverton for eating and shopping. Durango Mtn has an alpine slide and downhill mountain biking option that should be considered.
Estes Park is the gateway city for Rocky Mtn National Park and a great place to visit to or from the Nat’l Park.
Pike’s Peak - Drive To the top (paved all the way to the top), take a picnic lunch and stop at one of the 3 or 4 stops along the drive, or take the cog train and get a fantastic view!
Breckinridge - cool mountain ski town in the winter and hiking, biking town in the summer.
More options that others have mentioned, but you cannot go wrong in a visit to Colorado.

Plan ahead, evaluate all sight seeing options to fill your two week trip and As others have mentioned, make advance camping reservations. Consider BLM and National Forest CG’s, along with State Parks. Perhaps you can make a more leisurely trip home Via I40, and consider stopping in Branson, MO on the way home. Note that we drove the I10/I20 route from W Coast to Georgia, more than once and Texas is 900 miles long and a two day trip, with gas stations often far apart in W. Texas (but you cans visit Carlsbad Caverns if you go that route).

Have a great trip and enjoy every day, even though the long driving days can sometimes get a little boring! Even with Sirius/XM satellite radio and all the streaming music available, I resorted to playing with the trip computer to watch the transmission temperature change while climbing and descending hills.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
Have a great trip and enjoy every day, even though the long driving days can sometimes get a little boring! Even with Sirius/XM satellite radio and all the streaming music available,
I used to visit the library and get ten books on tape. They were so good for driving I didn't even want to stop for gas. Sirius/XM isn't the same because old time radio is hard to hear on the road because of the dynamic range.
I'd suggest Audible, but it's too expensive for most.
It reminded me to check if the library now has digital downloads that I could add to my phone? I link the phone via bluetooth and have I-heart radio or podcasts rather than try to find radio in the wide open west.

UPDATE: It looks like Libraries don't embrace digital downloads because the publishers make them too expensive (many copies).
But there is a service called OverDrive which acts as a middleman for fans of books on tape (digital). I've got to investigate more!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
We stayed a night at a Cabela's - worked out fine for a quick overnight stop - the dedicated RV slots were way in back, so nice & quiet. Also, some Camping World's have overnight parking.

Not all Walmarts or Cracker Barrels allow overnighters, so check - we use satellite to look at the parking to see if the in & out will work.

I use the RV Parky & ParkAdvisor apps on my Android phone to see if there are any commercial RV parks or state parks near the highway for most quick overnights while traveling to destinations.

You'll find your own pace soon enough - it's different for everyone.

Enjoy!!
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
I want to thank everyone for their great tips and advice on planning this trip.

We made our reservations yesterday and used that advice to get it all completed. What a great resource for newbies! It’s greatly appreciated!!
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, and have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We try and stay with 300ish miles a day. Sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the type of road we are on.
When we started Rving, KOA's were just what we needed. You know what you are going to get. Walmart hasn't been a great experience for us so we tend to avoid that option. The Allstays app will be a real benefit for your trip.
If you are near the southwest part of Colorado, we really liked Mesa Verde NP. We stayed at an RV park just outside the main gate. Durango is worth visiting for the day and don't miss the narrow gauge railroad trip if you go. This area might be easier to do if and when you do the Utah NP loop.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP was worth a couple of days. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate while we were there so star gazing didn't happen as we had hoped. There is a loop in the campground inside the park with 30 amp which was nice. If you can do without 30 amp there were lots of spaces available without. Near Grand Junction is Colorado NM. Wish we had allotted more time there. We both felt it should be a National Park. Northwest of Denver is Rocky Mountain NP and is a "don't miss". We stayed somewhere near Estes Park which was a neat town to explore. We were there during the Elk Festival and it was very entertaining.
Places on our Colorado to do list are the Great Sand Dunes NP and the Air Force Academy in Colorado springs.
Have a great time!