Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
We have tens of thousands of miles on our TST system. The system has been flawless and the customer service amazing. This is a first rate company and one I look forward to dealing with again.
Just for clarity, I have no connection with this company other than I'm a VERY satisfied customer

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Tst tpms

Thank you Doug and Skip!!
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:27 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Just to echo the excellent service received from Mike and TST. I haven't installed my system yet, want it to be a little bit warmer outside.
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
TST and it works fine. Good service and they honored their price promise. I initially bought two sensors for our Bambi and needed two more when we upgraded. They sold me the sensors as if I had bought four in the first place. Also our 12V charger cord failed and they sent a replacement no questions asked and promptly.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Tst tpms

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
I have purchased and just coded a new TST TPMS and have not yet replaced the caps with the sensors but will be this week just for the peace of mind.
Hi Beachbouy,
If you have any questions with your new TST please feel free to contact me at 770-889-9102 You can reach me until midnight 7 days a week.
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:07 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TST TPMS Update

TST TPMS Update. I had removed the sensors until I could install the recommended metal valve stems after this trip. At the end of the day my trusty Navigator was directing me onto the leveling blocks when she heard air escaping from the tire. It turned out that we had picked up our second large screw. Eh? Is this the road hazard capital of the universe?

Since I had removed the sensors to avoid killing another rubber valve stem I didn't know this puncture had happened until we were stopped, and luckily we stopped before we could run on the flat. It was decision time.

I started the day with a tire rodeo there in camp. My day-long frenzy of tire-changing activity provided endless entertainment for the other good people in the campground. They boiled out of their RVs like groupies at a rock concert. By the end of a very long day I had replaced the punctured tire with a new tire and all trailer wheels had metal valve stems. The truck will come after the trip.

On yesterday's tow the trailer tires were merrily reporting that all was well while the truck sensors remained in the bag. The system is finally installed and running on the trailer and it is ready to alarm if we have, God forbid, yet another puncture.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We have the TST system and are not totally thrilled with it. The sensors (ours are two years old) have tiny screws that hold the outer cover on (anti theft). These screws are not stainless so they have rusted and now the outer cover is breaking where the screws attach when taking it apart to change the batteries. The first receiver unit antenna broke after about a year and TST did replace it at no charge (out of warranty). Now the new receiver will not charge without me holding the connector to the unit (nothing is broken). I am quite sure TST will fix these issues. As others have said they have great customer service.

My real question here is about battery life. The batteries don't last a whole year. So invariably they go bad while traveling. So I am wondering about switching to an internal system with long life batteries that are supposed to last as long as the tires (I am hoping for a 6 or 7 year life out of our new 16" Michelins). What are member's experiences with these type of systems? Do the batteries really last 7 years? I understand the batteries in these are not replaceable so we would have to replace the sensors at that time. But really what electronics last longer than that anyway.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I had one sensor battery finally fail after 5 years on my Doran. Purchased 4 new ones, as the rest probably aren't far behind.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I've been running PressurePro systems on two trailers for about 9 years. The original ones are still going although the stated battery lifetime is around 7 years. They do work. Gotten alerts on two different occasions when there was tire belt separation and the tires started leaking. (both times Goodyear M tires). They link up almost immediately when power is applied to the monitoring unit in the truck. In addition to the rolling safety, sure is a lot easier to check tire pressure before starting out. Don't leave home without a TPS of some type. Worth the money in peace of mind.
Ditto on "easier to check tire pressure before starting out" and "peace of mind" running PressurePro TPMS.

PressurePro TPMS now provides High Temperature Alerts.

Additional information on this recently updated AirForums' thread:

"Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)"

and in the History Safari Express article:

"Tire pressure monitoring system II"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010 PressurePro sensor.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	256881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0262 F-250 & Safari trailer.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	256882  

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I had one sensor battery finally fail after 5 years on my Doran. Purchased 4 new ones, as the rest probably aren't far behind.
Last month, I replaced our 5-year old PressurePro sensors when two showed signs of needing to be replaced.

Earlier this week, I ordered a new PressurePro TPMS monitor that has a High Temperature Alert (my early-2011 monitor only monitored pressures). While placing the order, I spoke with PressurePro Technology Manager, Edward Lutsko, and I asked him about the average life of their sensors.

He said that although they advertise their sensors as having an average age of 3-4 years, their customer experience in replacing sensors, shows that they actually average 5.5-6 years before needing to be replaced.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #71
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It isn't the "Peace of mind".. As the technology will not eliminate a problem with tires... It monitors critical parameters which can lead to potential issues.

It is a "tool" sending critical data. Depends on human perception of the data and proper action to resolve.

Since my AS tows so well, before the TST, I did not know a tire had "lost pressure" and the carnage as the tire shreds inflicted fairly disturbing problems to our AS.

YEWV (your experience will vary)
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Dill TPMS system has a sender installed inside the tire with a metal valve stem coming out from the wheel. That takes care of the rubber valve stem failure issue. The complete piece is replaced when the internal battery quits in five plus years.

Since each units has a unique code associated with it, if one is replaced early one must get the same "letter" so the new one does not interfere with the older units.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
AMEN to cwf!! Our TST has 'saved our bacon' several times and alerted us to an issue before it became a PROBLEM!
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #74
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachHouse View Post
We have the TST system and are not totally thrilled with it. The sensors (ours are two years old) have tiny screws that hold the outer cover on (anti theft). These screws are not stainless so they have rusted and now the outer cover is breaking where the screws attach when taking it apart to change the batteries. The first receiver unit antenna broke after about a year and TST did replace it at no charge (out of warranty). Now the new receiver will not charge without me holding the connector to the unit (nothing is broken). I am quite sure TST will fix these issues. As others have said they have great customer service.

My real question here is about battery life. The batteries don't last a whole year. So invariably they go bad while traveling. So I am wondering about switching to an internal system with long life batteries that are supposed to last as long as the tires (I am hoping for a 6 or 7 year life out of our new 16" Michelins). What are member's experiences with these type of systems? Do the batteries really last 7 years? I understand the batteries in these are not replaceable so we would have to replace the sensors at that time. But really what electronics last longer than that anyway.
My experience. Not a full timer Use RV about 60 to 100 days a year.

Hella passenger car internal. 7 years and still working when I removed and sold the RV. This system is discontinued and will not work for most RV as it had 75 psi max rating.

TireTraker External 5 years and still ok with exception of one sender. Think this is sign of battery at end of life. Will replace all batteries this Spring.

General comment on battery life. As I understand it some sensors go to low power or "sleep" mode when no motion detected. Others may actually shut down. I think this along with the wide variety of RV usage is why some folks get many years service and others maybe only a year or two. I actually pull the batteries out of the sensors when I park the RV for the Winter. This may have been significant contributor to my long life (5 years) batteries.

With external sensors w/user replaceable batteries it's easy to simply have a spare battery in the parts box. You should get early warning of low battery with lost signal warning. I would just replace the battery at that point. I would think that after a few years use you should have a good feel for your battery life based on your usage.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Doran sensors are "on" whenever there is air pressure on the stem. I just unscrew them 3/4 turn when at a site and remove them when not in use.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Comment on "High Temperature" reading/warning

TPMS are primarily Low Pressure warning devices. A tire will not get to high temperature unless you have already lost pressure.
External sensors can not accurately read the temperature of the tire as the tire is hotter (5 to 20 F) than the air in the tire and the air in the tire is hotter (5 to 10F) than the external sensor is going to read due to cooling airflow outside the tire air chamber.

If you have a wheel bearing problem, it will be pretty bad before it can heat up the tire air chamber.

Bottom line: If you have properly loaded tire ( no more than 85% of it's max capability based on its inflation pressure) with no leak due to puncture or valve or valve core or wheel leak, you should have tire temperatures that run 10F to 30F above ambient with a max increase of 50F.
If you are seeing +50 you really need to look at the "why?" is is speed, unbalanced load or ???
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #77
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1989 32' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
TPMS Systems

We sell more TPMS systems to Airstreamers than any other brand out there.
We are even carried by RICH AND BRETT IN THEIR ONLINE STORE.
We are TRUCK SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY.
If you have questions about systems or need advise regarding tire safety please feel to contact me at airstreemer@gmail.com.
Will be glad to help!
Airstreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My TPMS (a Dill 1506) probably saved me from trailer damage Saturday. We hit some debris, probably from an accident, on the I-75S to I-285 ramp in NW Atlanta. About a mile later, the Dill went off and by the time I figured out what the noise was, the tire was down to 39 psi. I slowed down immediately and pulled off at the next exit. Tire remained intact, no damage to the trailer. Road hazard should cover the tire. I've been carrying a TrailerAid for two years and finally got to use it. Way better than jacking up the trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #79
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

If you have a wheel bearing problem, it will be pretty bad before it can heat up the tire air chamber.

Tireman9,

I'm running Dill and last fall my sensor did show one higher wheel temp than other 3 wheels.

Pulled over, checked and found a slightly higher brake drag was warming things up. It was a corrosion based drag, brake pad to caliper housing.

Fixed it in a nearby parking lot, on the road shortly after.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Installed TST

Just installed my TST 507 flow through. Easy to set up and seems to be working just right. Still probably a month away from our Spring shakedown, but I feel better with a TPMS on the trailer now.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote