Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I plan on purchasing new Michelin Defender Tires (15") when released in March then a TPMS. Thanks for all the info on this thread.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Dill TPMS works well with the included external antenna.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Brian asked "Curious why the sensor caused the valve stem leak? defective? not tight enough?
rubber valve stem?"

On our previous Airstream 20 I had one sensor that barely made contact inside the valve stem and kept giving us a false warning. With only one axle I would quickly pull to the side of the interstate, trucks/cars whizzing by, to get out and check for a flat.

It's been some years now, but I think I kept trying to adjust it (each time loosening/tightening the little locking screw on the side of it) and messed up the sensor gasket, so it leaked air. Was fed up with the gadget nature of the things, took them off and that's how we are today. Good tires, check things at fuel stops, one less device to distract from driving.
Sounds like the problem may have been with the valve core and not the TPM sensor. Some people report having problems with air chucks and hand held gauges not getting accurate readings till the core was replaced.
I have a post on my blog on valves and I know it is easy to screw the core in too far when people fail to understand that the core does not work like a water hose valve i.e. tighter is not better.

By Industry standard the pin in the core is to be no deeper than 0.035" and to extend no further than 0.010" above the edge of the valve stem.

Core torque spec is 1.5 to 3.0 inch pounds so you can see it is easy to overtighten the core, crushing the gasket and having the pin too low to properly engage with TPM sensors or pressure gauges or air chucks.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #44
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I found the nut holding steel valves loosened. I tightened then put a drop of blue Loctite to hold in place. If it moves, the Loctite will hopefully chip off.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I also have a Dill tpms that has worked well for 2years. After I put a topper and cargo rack it became troublesome so I contacted dill and sent me a repeater at no charge, but still would not work properly. I took the aluminum tie down brackets off and it works as it should, I guess they were deflecting the signal.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1452871468.865353.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	255721
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We ran the supplied auxiliary Dill TPMS antenna with magnetic base to the Curt Receiver we have on the back of the truck. Is in the clear so there is nothing in a visual line of sight going to the four tires on the Classic.

The signal seems to get through to the dash mounted Dill display when inside the Mercedes from the 23D axles.We have not needed an auxiliary antenna.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
XX for TST 507's they work great!!! Did not need repeater antenna for our 30' FC and RAM 2500 w/ topper TV. Easy to setup, have not had any drop outs in over a year of use. DO get metal valves, rubber ones will eventually leak... ask me how I know. :>).
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #48
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I have a Doran. It works fine, I feel at ease looking at the monitor screen mounted on my dash - no surprises for me!

In removing one of the sender units from the valve stem in order to top up the air I bummed up the locking collar. I called Doran and had 4 new ones in a week.

Good product - good service. I'm happy.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I also have a Dill tpms that has worked well for 2years. After I put a topper and cargo rack it became troublesome so I contacted dill and sent me a repeater at no charge, but still would not work properly. I took the aluminum tie down brackets off and it works as it should, I guess they were deflecting the signal.Attachment 255721

I would also add that since those 2 inch brackets have been removed, that the repeater now isn't necessary. Next time I load the kayaks I'll secure them differently. If you noticed 4 tie downs face one way and the middle one are in the opposite direction.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I'm trying to choose between the TST 507 system and the Hawkshead Talon 6 Bi-mode system. My educated guess says that these two systems are based on exactly the same reference design. Only the packaging is different. The specifications, hardware, and firmware for that matter appear to be identical as well as the sensor options, including the feedthrough type sensors.

I'm leaning towards the Hawkshead since they provide a newer display optimized for 4 or 6 sensors. In my case I already have a TPMS on my TV so I'm really only interested in monitoring the 4 wheels on the AS. The Talon 6 Bi-mode can be configured to show data on 4 wheels. Losing screen real estate trying to show 22 wheels seems wasteful.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience that could highlight any advantages or shortcomings of one system verses the other?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The TST TPMS was delivered to the John Prince Park by UPS today as promised. Installation was delayed since when we weren't under a tornado warning we were experiencing thunderstorms and rain. Tomorrow I'll mount the sensors and display. Tonight the display will charge.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
I'm trying to choose between the TST 507 system and the Hawkshead Talon 6 Bi-mode system. My educated guess says that these two systems are based on exactly the same reference design. Only the packaging is different. The specifications, hardware, and firmware for that matter appear to be identical as well as the sensor options, including the feedthrough type sensors.

I'm leaning towards the Hawkshead since they provide a newer display optimized for 4 or 6 sensors. In my case I already have a TPMS on my TV so I'm really only interested in monitoring the 4 wheels on the AS. The Talon 6 Bi-mode can be configured to show data on 4 wheels. Losing screen real estate trying to show 22 wheels seems wasteful.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience that could highlight any advantages or shortcomings of one system verses the other?
Hello Sir,

The TST display is optimized for only 4 tires as well. I would love to talk with you before you decide on a system. I am available until midnight 7 days a week at 77-889-9102

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Good Thread! If anyone ever has any questions/ issues with their TST please feel free to call me. I am available 7 days a week until midnight at 770-889-9102. We take customer service extremely serious, and FULLY stand behind the product.
Thanks,
Mike Benson
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The advantage of a 6 wheel system is that #5 can go on the spare tire and #6 for backup.

I had two fail on my Dill. The only way to get spares otherwise is to put in a warranty claim. That was a nightmare through Tire Rack. Dill won't sell individual sensors.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I also have a Dill tpms that has worked well for 2years. After I put a topper and cargo rack it became troublesome so I contacted dill and sent me a repeater at no charge, but still would not work properly. I took the aluminum tie down brackets off and it works as it should, I guess they were deflecting the signal.Attachment 255721
I mounted the Dill magnetic antenna upside down on the water tank between the rear wheels and ran the coax cable to the propane enclosure where the repeater is mounted. It looks through the camper shell straight up to the TMPS unit that hangs from a suction cup mount near the rear view mirror.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:18 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I used the included external antenna.
I ran the coax from the display unit attached to the windshield with the suction cup mount to under the truck bed- maybe 6-7'- and it made a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Dill won't sell individual sensors.
I called Dill and they referred me to a supplier who sent me one sensor.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I mounted the Dill magnetic antenna upside down on the water tank between the rear wheels and ran the coax cable to the propane enclosure where the repeater is mounted. It looks through the camper shell straight up to the TMPS unit that hangs from a suction cup mount near the rear view mirror.

Now I just put the external antenna on the roof as before, even with the external antenna mounted to the bumper down low and the repeater activated I still couldn't get all 4 signals. It wasn't till I took off the brackets that it started reading properly without the repeater.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sometimes metal stuff on the roof can be just the right dimensions to screw up radio signals. That's probably what was going on.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Installation of the TST TPMS

TST TPMS update. This morning I put the sensors on the truck and trailer and then took a test drive. First impression was that the sensors and their anti-theft covers were every bit as large installed as they appeared to be in the box. Upon careful inspection I confirmed that the sensors did not extend beyond the tire sidewall.

Installation with the provided wrench was pretty easy and after the second sensor I had a handle on it. It was a little fiddly the first time or two but it works well. Don't lose your wrench. As advised I put a dab of dielectric grease on the valve stems before installing the sensors.

I chose to use Velcro tape to mount the monitor base on the dash instead of the provided double-sided tape. The monitor itself rests on a knife-edge in the base making a solid connection which also makes it easy to remove the monitor. I chose not to use the suction cup mount also provided.

Now it was time to take a test drive. First I decoupled the trailer sensors from the monitor, analogous to unhitching the trailer on the display. Off we went with the monitor merrily cycling through each tire reporting current pressure and temperature and that all is well. That's all there was to it.

The installation and test drive were so successful because Mike at TST said that he would set up the sensors before shipping the unit. I had read BB comments about needing tech support for setup and I conclude that the initial setup may be a source of many (most?) initial problems. Because my unit arrived preset for my tow vehicle and trailer tire pressures all I needed to do was to charge the monitor, install the sensors on the correct tires and wheel off into the sunset. Many thanks to Mike at TST for setting up the sensors before the unit was shipped.

With over a thousand miles remaining on this trip there will be plenty of time on the road to test and learn this system.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote