Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #21
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
I live in Maine. I hunt in Maine. I camp in Maine. It is routine to come back covered in ticks. I canít say ďdepending on the seasonĒ as I have come back from hunting in November covered in ticks. Our kids have had ticks on them, our dogs have had ticks on them. Itís just something you get used to. When you come in from the outside where you have been exposed to them (walking through grassy areas) you do a tick check. Rarely have they latched on enough to be of a concern. If they are latched on, I have 3x5 cards and scotch tape ready, after removing the tick, I tape it to the index card and add the date, location, where the tick was found, etc. Just in case we get a rash.

I have tons of these index cards and never had a rash to worry about nor have any of the kids.

Itís not that bad, this isnít something that happens every day, itís just that we know what to expect and what to do when we are outside.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Ticks are a problem in the northeast so one must be vigilant. Speaking from experience I find it necessary to carry tick removal tools with us in the trailer to have at the ready so as not to leave the tick embedded any longer than necessary. Tweezers often crush the tick causing "tick fluid" to get into the human or pet body. I strongly recommend tick removal tools as mentioned above....the little green "tick twisters." They are very inexpensive and can be found in pet stores and vet offices. They can remove varying sizes of ticks in their entirety.
Shads Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Ticks are bad, and Lyme's disease is a thing. But worse in my opinion are the chiggers. They are invisible, they seem to swarm, and the irritation is ungodly. At least you can see ticks to remove them. My wife, who is a chiggers magnet, covers head to toe, no exposed skin, heavy duty DEET... And they still find their way to her skin. The thought of hiking in shorts and a DEET shirt - - even in the dead of summer, is a nightmare.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Anticipating some hiking in the woods this fall, I picked up one of these tick keys...

https://aftergadget.files.wordpress....0/tick-key.jpg

Permethrin has a good reputation — a lot of AT hikers treat their clothes and gear with it — but I would not use it on my skin.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes Permethrin works great, and, correct, not for your skin. We wear high boots and socks which get a liberal spraying of Repel [brand name] before we go out into grassy etc. areas.

Just a general heads up here in the NE -- Nymph stage Lone Star ticks are often confused for chiggers which are more common down south per recent comment. These nymph ticks do not carry any diseases, but they produce a nasty bite which takes weeks to heal. The bites itch and one must take care not to scratch them, as infection can occur, and can lead to cellulitis and IV antibiotics. Don't ask . . .

A vigorous shower and scrubbing with wash cloth, and inspection of hidden areas with a flashlight, is done as often as possible before going to bed. Easier with 2 people, of course.

Peter

PS -- "Lone Star tick" search results here on AF: https://www.google.com/search?ei=9CV...4dUDCAo&uact=5
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #26
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
And should you get chigger bites, clear fingernail polish is a godsend. I always have a bottle just in case...

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
At my place in NW Vermont, I see ticks more in the cooler fall weather. Have not seen one since May-is. I have two dogs who romp through the fields, brush, woods. They are both on Bravecto which they get once every three months and has been the best med for killing ticks that latch onto them. A good idea when your dogs are coming indoors with you. I also check myself thoroughly twice a day, being extra careful with my scalp and nooks and crannies. The ticks are not that hard to see unless you can't see well--wear glasses! I also take herbal concoctions that are supposed to boost the immune system. Not everyone believes in this stuff but I do. I think it's worth it. It's also good to be aware of the protocols for diagnosing and medicating for Lyme. It's not straightforward nor universally agreed upon. Educate your self and don't just take your doc's advice without a healthy dose of ... hmmm.

Lyme Defense Infusion http://www.goodfightherbco.com/new-p...s/lyme-defense

"Healing Lyme" book https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Lyme-...18679757&psc=1

Lyme disease.org https://www.lymedisease.org

Montana Pharmacy has a Lyme/tick repellant

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Lauri, put the polish on the bite?

Thanks Kim, will read your post later.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:59 AM   #29
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hey Peter, yes. Clear nail polish on chigger bites. This is not an AMA recommendation but is works. A light coat on clean, non-infected skin will stop it from being itchy almost immediately. 40+ plus years of living in the boonies in Georgia. Do not do this for ticks.

The trip is/was absolutely amazing! Each state has its own unique landscape and more breathtaking than the last. It would be impossible to pick a favorite but Mt. Washington would be high on the list.

And now back to tick posts. ��

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I carry an old sock filled with powdered sulfur stored in a sandwich bag. Pounce it around your ankles and on your shoes, no chiggers.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:59 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Something that's good to have on hand is bentonite clay for drawing and drying. Mix a little bit with water and put on a bite/poison ivy etc. to draw out the bad stuff.

A reminder that ticks carry several bad diseases, not just Lyme.

The best scenario is to know that you've had a tick. If you get sick and can't link it to a tick bite it can be a real rabbit's hole as Lyme looks different on everyone.

So check yourself frequently for ticks.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote