Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2020, 06:33 AM   #1
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Thousand Trails - very disappointed

I'm sitting in my 5th or 6th TT camp. I've stayed in their camps from the west to northeast to south and now in Texas. I'm about to give up.

Cannot understand the apparent total lack of maintenance, upkeep or capital investment in these facilities. Pothole filled roads, crumbling tables, abandoned and broken pedestals, local phones not functional, deep ruts in camp sites. (Love those 10 MPH camp signs. AS IF you could do 10 MPH on these roads, lol. )
Not even an attempt at a coat of paint or the most minimal upkeep. I just left a few state and private parks through Hurricane Michael territory, and where money is really tight, and they are in much better condition.

Dunno where they get their marketing photographs, but reality is quite different.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post

Dunno where they get their marketing photographs, but reality is quite different.
Photoshop is cheaper than paint.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I found their campgrounds lacking as well.
I let my “complimentary” one year membership expire, and they billed me for the renewal. I ignored it, and they billed me again, with an added late fee. When I called to tell them I would not be renewing they gave me a hard time. I ended up talking to a supervisor, and had to explain to her in no uncertain terms that I was under no obligation to send them any money, and they needed to stop billing me.
It was pressure sales at it’s finest.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lipstick on the pig.

Aka "Marketing" that is deceptive and barely legal.

Get rich raising llamas...
Get rich flipping houses...
Or running rental homes

Spend $17,000 then camp free for the rest of your life.

P
Old 03-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Yeah, been on the road for two years full time and still have zero intention of participating in this. I feel like it’s similar to the time share world.

What can you expect from an organization that has a fee and says you stay for free otherwise for the rest of the year? Usually why a business charges a premium is for upkeep — how much of that thousand trails money that you paid you think goes to the camp ground participating? Barely enough to cover costs I would think.

The benefit of thousand trails to these camp grounds I would think is similar to a hotel. You only maximize income at 100% occupancy. Even if thousand trails is at a loss to the camp ground, the other amenities or just the demand keeps the park going.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Thousand Trails- expect the worst.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I came across this from Wikipedia, which may go a ways to explaining what is deepening with Thousand Trails.

The company was founded by Milt Kuolt in 1972 with one campground in Chehalis, Washington. Kuolt would go on to found the airline Horizon Air, which he sold in 1986 to Alaska Airlines. In 1979, Kuolt made Thousand Trails a publicly traded corporation.[2]

In 1991, Thousand Trails and another membership campground company, NACO (National American Corporation) both came under the umbrella of the newly formed USTrails, Inc. (which took the name Thousand Trails, Inc., in 1996).[2] Concurrent with this consolidation, USTrails filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in May 1991.[3]

In 1999, Thousand Trails, Inc., purchased the holding company that owned Leisure Time Resorts of America, Inc., a network of ten membership campgrounds in Washington and Oregon.[4] Since that time, ownership has changed repeatedly: the private equity firm of Kohlberg & Co. purchased Thousand Trails for $113 million in 2003,[5] Privileged Access Gp. Corp. of Frisco, Texas bought it in 2006,[6] and Equity Lifestyle Properties bought it in 2008.[7]
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
I thought they were going bankrupt.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Last year, as we started out on our Trans Canada adventure (with a return trip through the US), we joined the KOA Value Kard Rewards program, and stayed at a number of sites during our trip (including the very first KOA in Billings MT). We were very pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the resorts, especially the amenities. Although the sites may be a bit tightly packed, especially at the older locations, and they tend to be a bit pricier than public campgrounds, they proved to be a reliable and convenient option. And the free stay rewards were a nice perk.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
I agree. There was a very nice campground in NJ. Chestnut Hill i believe. Became a thousand trails and it now looks like a meth head trailer park. Very sad.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I thought it was just me

We were visiting family a couple years ago in Southern California and the only place near to them that wasn’t fully booked was a Thousand Trails. We had never stayed at one in the past as I believe most were membership only. Now most accept non-members for the daily rates.

While only about 12 miles from San Diego, it was in a canyon with no cell or TV service. The sites were w/e only and did not offer cable. The dump station was closed when we departed and apparently had been so for some time. The code pad on the gate was designed for big rigs so I had to get out and use a flashlight to see it when coming back at night.

They were very proud of the place and sought me out to listen to a sales pitch. It seems that there is a common pattern that fits some of the other TT locations.
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Thanks for posting this info. I was not familiar with this organization. Will stay clear of them for sure.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
We have been a member of thousand Trails for about 14 years now. We have had our share of complaints and for sure they have not lived up to all the promises that they pitched to us. That being said with our membership we can camp for 28 days in each Park and then move to the next park immediately. We often choose our parks close to places we want to visit or wineries so we enjoy it still even though there are plenty of downsides. We plan to retire in the next 12 years and with over a hundred parks in America that will be a great supplement to our traveling and keeping the costs low. There are still plenty of enjoyable Thousand Trails parks you just have to know which ones to go to. Luckily we have a real good one by us here in Virginia. I will say however I think the quality of the camper in general has declined significantly in the last decade. Camper etiquette and common courtesy has seemed to go out the window. I do not want to see your weird color LED light on all night and people no longer walk around the campsite in which you are in. Many people are playing music so loud I can hear it halfway across the park. I also play music but I keep the volume at a low where I can enjoy it and not bother anyone else. If you plan to full-time I would still recommend thousand Trails as I see it as a cost-effective solution.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Add barking dogs to you list of dislikes.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
My parents were big fans of Thousand Trails many years ago. When they passed on, we considered picking up their national membership, but in the end we decided it was more than we were ready to pay for the privilege. We've only seen a few TT campgrounds over the years, and none of them impressed. We didn't see any that were outright terrible, but we also didn't see any winners. So, we don't use TT, and probably never will. Those who use TT swear by the value proposition as did my parents, but it doesn't speak to us. For us, camping is an experience, and we want the best experience we can find. The experiences we want are usually in National Parks, National Forests, COE Campgrounds, State and County Parks, City Parks, and sometimes in the occasional private RV park. You may note that private RV parks are at the end of our list...there's a reason for that, too.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Hadn’t heard of them, and won’t be staying with them.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
X2.

Thanks for the heads up.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aiken , South Carolina
Just spent a week at a Thousand Trails camp in Kissimmee, FL, Sherwood Forest. What a dump. We left 2 days early, even though we had paid in advance.
awkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Their one in Orlando is really nice. They have two pools, ones was adult only which is real nice. However some lady threatened to sue using the fair housing act and now both pools are open to everyone n all Thousand Trails. Many older adults get nervous around rowdy kids and need some respite.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
We joined in 2000 when we bought our first RV. Stopped paying the membership five years ago. They essentially have no resale value. We became increasingly disillusioned with their parks. Messy, not well maintained and mostly filled with full time residents, not vacationers. Not sure why we stuck with them as long as we did...just hopeful I guess.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote