Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Angry Thinking about going west for a few days

The projected path for hurricane Rita is now just east of Austin. They are predicting scattered tornadoes, torrential rain, and 70 mile wind gusts for this area.

My trailer is under a high roof at a storage yard near Dripping Springs. It is well sheltered from normal rain and sun, but I worry about the roof holding up in winds in that range. I'm flirting with the idea of going west to Fredericksburg or Junction while the worst of the storm blows through. I might be safer in the open in an area without the threat of tornadoes, hail, and high winds.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I would and soon. The road congestion is only going to get worse as evacuations continue.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Not a worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
I would and soon. The road congestion is only going to get worse as evacuations continue.
From Austin, going west, I don't worry about congestion. Most evacuees will stop at Austin, Temple, Waco, etc. along I-35 I do worry about full campgrounds to the west, though, if others get the same idea as I have.

South Llano River State Park at Junction, a bit more than 2 hours west of here, would be my first choice for safety from the worst weather..
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I just heard about the upgrade to cat 5. Sounds like wind and hail to me ... Fill up and haul!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
John,

Fill up the water holding tank, top of the truck, and head out. Find someplace with good internet or television service so you can see what you are missing.

Just my humble opinion

Mark
Old 09-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Time to grab the cats and go. That's what AS are for anyway. If you make it all the way out here, I'll find room for ya

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
As said before, "Go West, young man!" Your plan sounds good, and we hope you make your move soon. I was checking tonight by phone with my brother in Houston who proudly asserted that he rode out Alicia and he will this one too. How I wish he were of your mind, Pahaska. Best wishes to you and to all in the storm's path. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
We all are thinking about you John and the others in TX. Please let us know when you are in a safe place!!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
One of the nice things about living in Lubbock, TX is plenty of beach....no ocean...hahaa

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
Contributing Member

But ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
One of the nice things about living in Lubbock, TX is plenty of beach....no ocean...hahaa
Yes, but I understand that "Happiness is Lubbock, Texas in Your Rear View Mirror" (or so the song goes). BTW: Granddaughter is a Senior at Texas Tech.

I'm still watching the weather and may go west or not depending on what I see in the next 24 hours. Two+ hours will take me to Junction which should be well out of the direct path of the storm and two more hours to Sonora if I need to go that far.

Congestion west of here isn't a big kicker to worry about. There simply are not that many facilities west of here that folks could flee to. Couple of motels in each of those small cities and that is about all.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-21-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Yep...a Mac Davis tune.....He was honored at the Texas Tech vs Sam Houston State game last week at halftime.I think his wife is younger than the videos they were running on the jumbotron.I got to shake his hand down on the sideline. He looks pretty good, and seems happy.

AIR # 410
Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We certainly need the rainfall here in North Texas as it seems West Texas has received it all this year and is as green as we've ever seen it. We DO NOT need the tornados associated with RITA's landfall however. We barely made it through a bad tornado in Lubbock, May 11, 1970! We're battening down the hatches and moving our Silver Bullet to covered storage. Keep all Texans in your prayers along with those along the LA, MISS and BAMA coasts. We too have room, power (for now at least) and water for any Streamers braving relocation to North Texas! I would head West however.
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Yep...I think his wife is younger than the videos they were running on the jumbotron. He looks pretty good, and seems happy.
is there any truth in the quotation that you need a young wife to keep you young?....apparently it worked for ed mcmann, but not tony randall....

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #14
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
John.

Safe travels, wherever you wind up. Maybe boondocking at a non-state park place for a few days. I don't remember if you have a generator or not.

From the pictures on the news, it looked like a lot of folks in campers taaking an un-expected expedition to some place dry.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 09-22-2005, 10:10 AM   #15
Contributing Member

We may have dodged the bullet

Weather this morning shows the storm taking a turn to the north. Predicition now is that the eye will pass well to the east of Austin and we may very well not even get a lot of rain. We should be on the less violent side of the storm path.

Bad news is that it is zeroing in more on Houston and Galveston and even further east toward Louisiana. News crawler said that every room in non-eastern Texas is now booked except places like El Paso (a full day drive west of here).

The Austin City Limits music event in Zilker Park is still expecting to happen. They may possibly cancel Saturday, but they are on track for Friday and Sunday.

In the meantime, I can hitch up and be on the road in 45 minutes if things change.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Calm before the storm

The storm will go well east of Austin and the worst predicted are some storms with peak 40mph gusts. Even the Austin City Limits 3-day outdoor concert is happening on schedule except that a few bands cancelled because of travel problems. Less that 1" of rain is predicted here, although some parts of northeast Texas may get 20" if the storm stalls there.

The Classic will stay under roof at the storage yard. With the reduced winds and the shelter of adjoining buildings, she should be quite safe. Wish I could get the truck under cover, but

BTW: wife just called. Most of our local stations are out of gasoline. She found one and filled up, but they predicted that they would run out within a half hour. Some friends (WBCCI unit) left Spring, TX at 6:30 am yesterday. By 10am, they were nearly out of gas in Conroe, about 25 miles north. They left the interstate to get gas and weren't allowed back on, so they were proceeding north on the frontage road.

Many of the schools here are closed for the weekend and are being used as shelters for the inflow from the coastal areas.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-23-2005, 02:02 PM   #17
Contributing Member

Starting to feel Rita

Just spent 40 minutes on the riding mower in a strange afternoon. It is hot out there and the sun is blazing, but the sky to the east is a white jumble of white. Elsewhere, there are acattered puffy clouds that keep changing.

Every minute or so, there is a puff of cool breeze that feels and smells like an ocean breeze. In between, it is totally still. Prediction is gusts of 25 as the afternoon goes on.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I know where every back road and path is in my part of the world.
Why would any knowledgeable person try to go join the mob of people parked on the Interstate is beyond me.
Take the backroads and make some progress forward to the destination would be my choice.

AIR # 410
Old 09-24-2005, 08:53 AM   #19
Contributing Member

I'm not complaining ...

after all the fuss, the sky is almost cloudless, the air is reasonably cool, and the winds are quite moderate. We're not even expected to get any rain here, west of Austin.

My neighbor's driveways have been packed with refugees from the coast, but I was unable to reach my one known relative in Houston to offer a haven.

They are telling the evacuees to stay put for the time being until they can arrange for them to return on an orderly manner and avoid the traffic jams, and out-of-gas vehicles.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
I know where every back road and path is in my part of the world.
Why would any knowledgeable person try to go join the mob of people parked on the Interstate is beyond me.
Take the backroads and make some progress forward to the destination would be my choice.
We do too, but in all honesty my neighbors are all aware. For those of us in a major metropolitan area, we are using backroads every time the Interstates get screwed up with normal issues. Problem is the backroads also get clogged.

In all honesty its just about impossible to evacuate a major metropolitan area when your evacuation routes are limited.

Our big worry here in STL is the big earthquake. For those of you who don't know, one of the if not the biggest recorded earthquake on record in the continental U.S. occurred in the New Madrid fault area which is down in the boot heel area of southeast Missouri right on the Mississippi.

Based on the build up of the St. Louis area, if an earthquake of the same magnitude occurred today in that same region, St. Louis would be impacted severely. I know my major concern would be a winter quake with disruption of power and water services. Problem is we couldn't get out since most of the highway overpasses and bridges are not built to any decent seismic standards.

Some folks are beginning to note that even with storms, our electric utility company has become so lean that some folks are without electric up to 3 days. I don't remember repair times even taking more than 24 hours at the most. I know I've been looking more at an electric generator to possibly cover running the refrigerator and furnace. Some of the newer Yamaha units come equipped to run on gas, propane, or natural gas.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote