Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
The wrong way (again)

This time of year my preference is to go north or to the mountains. We have committed for a week to meet family at St. Joseph Peninsula State Park Florida. It is on Cape San Blas. The beach goes for about 5 miles uninterrupted. It is a beautiful area, but it is going to be hot. The grand kids will love the beach and bicycle riding. The grand kids are all college age now. We are fortunate to get to spend time with them.

Did I mention that you almost can't get there from here. It is in a remote area not serviced by any major highways from North to South. It looks like at least a 7 hour drive, I know this sounds a little gloomy, but it should be a fun week. The Apalachicola oysters are some of the best, and the great seafood along that section of the coast is also some of the best. Then I have a great book by David McCollough about the history of the Panama Canal that is already packed. Hopefully, pictures will be posted.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
I, too, prefer the mountains but as Ed Abbey once said, "... the best of all sauces is hunger." Good seafood and an interesting book make for a favorable destination in spite of a long slog. Photos of fine cuisine also provide further evidence of the good life Airstreaming can provide!

Good eating and good reading - not a bad summer combo.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
the bright side

Tn Traveler,

Look on the bright side....

you already live in the mountains, this time of year the mountains are crowded.

summer in Florida is the off season, no crowds. Nice ocean breezes.

We have been to St, Josephs twice recently. Great place, and as you pointed out, great food near by.

Family, food, fun, road trip.

Have a great time.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I'm a big fan of St Joseph State Park. And you'll be there during scallop season which is another huge plus. I like the Indian Pass Raw Bar at the old gas station about 1/3 of the way to Apalachicola. Boss Seafood in town also has good oysters. Be sure to visit Gorrie Musuem in town to learn about invention of modern AC. Have fun. I'll be back there for Labor Day weekend.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Thanks, Jeff. The McCullough book has been on the shelf for awhile waiting for time to read.

John, we are blessed to have a cabin in the North GA mountains at about 3000' elevation. It is in an isolated spot with no air conditioning, and none is needed. So, we can go there often. However, the kids like the beach, and we will be dropping off a grand daughter at FSU to start her sophomore year.

Then it will be football time at Mississippi State where a grand son is on the team. My season tickets will be arriving next week. Reservations are already made at the campground for all home games. We have 4 grand children that attend 4 different colleges. We are getting spread out.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod White View Post
I'm a big fan of St Joseph State Park. And you'll be there during scallop season which is another huge plus. I like the Indian Pass Raw Bar at the old gas station about 1/3 of the way to Apalachicola. Boss Seafood in town also has good oysters. Be sure to visit Gorrie Musuem in town to learn about invention of modern AC. Have fun. I'll be back there for Labor Day weekend.
Hey Jarrod,

Thanks for the tips. I have been to Boss Oyster. Haven't tried Indian Pass Raw Bar. That will be a definite stop. I was in Steinhatchee during scallop season. The boats were so thick you could almost step from one to another. Bay scallops are small, but sweet.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you are going to spend time on the Gulf Coast in August, your destination is certainly a premier pick! I spent a few summer weeks in Gulf Shores, Alabama, many moons ago, and being on the water made all the difference. Have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Sounds like a great trip! Any trip with family especially when a beach is involved is going to be fun
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
St. Joe State Park is one of my favorites...used to go after the scallops and redfish in St. Joe Bay in high school and college (Go 'Noles!), now pull my AS through there for several days/year despite living in Idaho. The access roads to it are great, and you have the choice of two campgrounds..the interior one more shaded (i.e., more mosquito infested and further from the beach, the other close to the beach but more sun exposed. Both of them are great, although your 25' AS will need some time to fit into a number of sites. So make sure you google the campgrounds and pick the right sites. Mexico Beach (on the way from the west) is an interesting place, and Apalachicola (and St. George Island) are great places to spend time. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Thanks, Jeff. The McCullough book has been on the shelf for awhile waiting for time to read.

John, we are blessed to have a cabin in the North GA mountains at about 3000' elevation. It is in an isolated spot with no air conditioning, and none is needed. So, we can go there often. However, the kids like the beach, and we will be dropping off a grand daughter at FSU to start her sophomore year.

Then it will be football time at Mississippi State where a grand son is on the team. My season tickets will be arriving next week. Reservations are already made at the campground for all home games. We have 4 grand children that attend 4 different colleges. We are getting spread out.

Thanks for your post neighbor. We live in Cloudland, a few miles to the south on Lookout Mountain and love Panhandle destinations once it gets cooler. Mostly from Orange Beach to Seagrove, but will put St. Joe on our list based on the recommendations given. Sounds like you have some great grandkids. Yellow Jacket here so prefer the MS Bulldogs to the local variety. Have a great trip!
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Sparta , Tennessee
Hi TN Traveler, I'm a new member, I'm FL Native and your neighbor about 70 miles north in Sparta, TN. LOL You will be heading to "my neck of the woods" when you go to St Joe in the FL Panhandle. Although I now live in TN, I plan to spend 6 mths here in the summer and 6 mths in the St Joe/Mex Beach area starting in Oct. Can't complain in this life because I will have the best of both worlds Your family is in for very relaxing vacation on the prettiest, most pristine beaches along the Gulf. You will have plenty of time to relax, read and eat some great seafood. I agree with Jarrod, Indian Pass Raw Bar is a fantastic little stop in the road and is "old Florida"; friendly people, great steamed shrimp, and local music on the porch late in the afternoon. You're probably going to find that scalloping season is closed this year so the little fellas can get a rest and reproduce. Not a popular decision by the State of Fla, but a necessary one for future scalloping. Safe travels and eat some steamed shrimp for me
Fl Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Neighbors, indeed, David and FLNative. My truck was ordered from Bobby Lawler at Ed Rogers Chevrolet in Smithville. My 2 sons are Florida natives as I went to college at Winter Park, FL. We kept a boat at Orange Beach for 9 years until the storms drove us away.

You guys have figured it out. Living in Tennessee while traveling around is a good thing.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Jon, I have a little connection to Idaho. In the '60s I worked for GA-Pacific when headquartered in Portland, OR. In the '70s my employment was with Boise Cascade Corp head quartered in Boise, ID. Too little time was left to see the beautiful country of yours on my visits to home office. That should be taken care of over the next few years.

It's a long way from Gulf County, FL to Idaho.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:33 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Here's an update on the trip so far. Pictures are of the main street and a church in Eufala, AL. One is of the Li'l Darlin' hitched up in the drive, packed, and ready. The others are at St. Joseph Peninsula State Park on Cape San Blas, FL. We are camped in the palms just behind the dune line. The beach is pristine powder white sand, and goes for miles. The scarlet tanager photo was shot with telephoto lense. By the way, the stakes visible in one of the beach pics mark a turtle egg nest. The tanager seems to have lost detail due to the down sizing of the photo.

The building storm clouds in the beach picture later really howled and dumped on us. The weather looks pretty dismal the rest of the week. We will decide Tuesday if we will stay here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000072.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	268622   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000074.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	268623  

Name:	P1000075.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	268624   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000079.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	268625  

Name:	P1000081.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	268626   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000083.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	268627  

Name:	P1000085.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	268628  
Old 08-09-2016, 04:22 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Laurel Hill , Florida
We will at Cape San Blas Sept. 23 weekend........ go there every year for the fishing. Had been tent camping.... this will be the first time in the Airstream.
Drake1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Between the rain showers (read heavy down pours) we ran over to Apalachicola yesterday. Although, we didn't miss the showers altogether. The pictures today are from there; and thanks to Jarrod the Indian Pass Trading Post and Raw Bar. The pictures in Apalach (locals' term for the town) are from the historic district. They include the historic Gibson Hotel and fine dining restaurant. The Owl Restaurant where we stopped, and a couple of other buildings.

We ran up a few blocks to check out Scipio Creek Marina where I have tied up a few nights after crossing the Gulf from Clearwater.

Thanks to Jarrod for the tip about the Indian Pass Raw Bar. The picture shows Lou saying something like, "I ain't believing this". Sorry Jeff, no pictures of the food. However, you know that you are in for a fine dining experience with your own box of saltines and roll of paper towels on the table. Lou had the crab stuffed shrimp, and I had the Oysters. They and the cocktail sauce were outstanding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000087.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	268696   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000088.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	268697  

Name:	P1000090.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	268698   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000092.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	268699  

Name:	P1000093.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	268700   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000094.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	268701  

Old 08-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Glad you got to go and enjoyed it.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Seriously fine dining. Has all the signs except the sawdust on the floor!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Well, we got a little break in the weather today. Finally we were walking the beach. One photo from today of the grand daughters and their rescued dog. We will probably pull out of here Saturday a couple of days early departure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hannah Aliya and Gracie at the beach.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	268859  
Old 08-12-2016, 03:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Well, we got a little break in the weather today. Finally we were walking the beach. One photo from today of the grand daughters and their rescued dog. We will probably pull out of here Saturday a couple of days early departure.
Ready for some cooler Tennessee mountain air?

Hope this storm to the west of you does not come your way today! Looks intense.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pen...r-radar/328165

[hit the Play button at top left]

Safe home and Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote