Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Bloomington , Indiana
What brought us to Airstream

We've owned several Class As and Cs. We do maybe 20 camping nights a year. Costs too much for this little travel, plates, taxes, maintenance.

In a nearby small town, an Airstream Argosy was offered. 1973.

I'll digress here and say that I've seen lots of Airstream projects gone wrong. Half are gutted and then people lose interest. This wasn't one of those.

The couple had loved it. Redid the floors after they bought it. Turned the bedroom into a western boudoir. Themed it. Outside, it was ok, but propane, water, sewage, brakes, tires, all needed attention and were unknowns. It is a 26 footer. Oh, and the AC didn't work. Bought it and slowly drove it home; the tires were weather-cracked. One of them wasn't holding air well.

Fixed the AC (original, for a $20 starter cap). Carefully tested the propane, it worked except the water heater. Replaced the AC fridge for a smaller 3-way.

Four new tires, four new brakes, new wiring for the brakes, which had been cut out of the circuit (!!!), axle test and wheel bearing grease aplenty, all replaced in my driveway. Any shade tree mechanic can do it. The propane testing required a halogen tester to be 100% sure. Very little (two new valves) had to be installed, found at a local propane supplier who was tickled to be able to find a place for the old valves in his stockroom.

It has the original paint, and like an old VW Westfalia, must never be repainted. It has that cache of being real, and lived in. It pulls easily.

The wife of the couple said: we're moving to Florida and we're not taking it. $2000. We put $2000 more into it, plus cheap trailer plates and insurance. Even at parks with brand new $100,000+ Airstreams, we get total thumbs-ups for being old school, and still working. Even the awning works.

We spent more money on the tow vehicle than the trailer, but not by much. Solar and final water/sewage fixes are next. Blues festivals, and other events will find us under a shade tree.

Tom W9YW
hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
I wouldn’t worry about the plates until I was stopped and that’s 90% you never will be. Otherwise have some more wine 🍷 but drive slow jm
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
We live in Tennessee where you are not required to have a tag on trailers (and some folks don't believe in lights either!)
Not quite true!

A privately owned and only for Personal Use UTILITY trailer is not required to be titled and licensed in the State of Tennessee. A utility/cargo trailer used for business or commerce in the State of Tennessee is required to be titled and is issued a trailer license plate.

A RV/Camper trailer with a "Permanent Top" in the State of Tennessee DOES require title/registration with an annual renewable "Trailer E" license plate issued for the RV trailer. The use of the previously available to RV owner's buy it once and never again Tennessee "Semi" trailer tag is no longer allowed on RV/Camper trailers.

Trailer Registration Requirements in the State of Tennessee
T.C.A. Type In-State Out-of-State

55-4-111(C) Boat None None

55-4-111 Camper (Fifth Wheel) Trailer E Trailer E

55-4-111(C) Camper (Pop Up/Fold Up) None None

55-4-111 Camper (Permanent Top) Trailer E Trailer E

55-4-111(C) Farm (Owned by farmer and used for agricultural purposes or
hauling livestock between farms and market) None

55-4-101(I)(1)(2) Homemade

55-4-111(C) Horse None

55-4-111(D)(ii) Mobile Homes or House

55-4-111(d) Rental (Public) Trailer E Trailer E

55-4-111(c) and 55-4-113(5)(a) Utility (Commercial) Semi Semi

55-4-111(C) Utility (Non-Commercial) None

*Freight Trailers, Semi-Trailers, and Pole Trailers used primarily for hauling freight and Trailers used in the furtherance of a business would be registered pursuant to 55-4-113(5)(a).

**If the trailer is over eight (8) feet in width and twenty (20) feet in length, exclusive of the tongue, an individual must purchase a Semi Tag.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chicora , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendy View Post
We've owned several Class As and Cs. We do maybe 20 camping nights a year. Costs too much for this little travel, plates, taxes, maintenance.

In a nearby small town, an Airstream Argosy was offered. 1973.

I'll digress here and say that I've seen lots of Airstream projects gone wrong. Half are gutted and then people lose interest. This wasn't one of those.

The couple had loved it. Redid the floors after they bought it. Turned the bedroom into a western boudoir. Themed it. Outside, it was ok, but propane, water, sewage, brakes, tires, all needed attention and were unknowns. It is a 26 footer. Oh, and the AC didn't work. Bought it and slowly drove it home; the tires were weather-cracked. One of them wasn't holding air well.

Fixed the AC (original, for a $20 starter cap). Carefully tested the propane, it worked except the water heater. Replaced the AC fridge for a smaller 3-way.

Four new tires, four new brakes, new wiring for the brakes, which had been cut out of the circuit (!!!), axle test and wheel bearing grease aplenty, all replaced in my driveway. Any shade tree mechanic can do it. The propane testing required a halogen tester to be 100% sure. Very little (two new valves) had to be installed, found at a local propane supplier who was tickled to be able to find a place for the old valves in his stockroom.

It has the original paint, and like an old VW Westfalia, must never be repainted. It has that cache of being real, and lived in. It pulls easily.

The wife of the couple said: we're moving to Florida and we're not taking it. $2000. We put $2000 more into it, plus cheap trailer plates and insurance. Even at parks with brand new $100,000+ Airstreams, we get total thumbs-ups for being old school, and still working. Even the awning works.

We spent more money on the tow vehicle than the trailer, but not by much. Solar and final water/sewage fixes are next. Blues festivals, and other events will find us under a shade tree.

Tom W9YW
Excellent story. That is what keeps the Airstream mystic going.
WBAC #1341
Totlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
Well sounds like you have it knocked being in the Keys. So i am just curious why you didn't like the Lance trailer other than a slide out? I had a Lance truck camper and they are well made... OK well it's cocktail hour ..
Rick
desertratt is offline   Reply With Quote