Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
The Maritimes in Early Autumn?

We are a planning a trip to Gaspe, NS, NL and points in-between as weather permits. We'll be leaving in late August and have no required return date and no real schedule.
Any guidance on the practicalities of this trip? Our main concerns at this point are seasonal shutdown of campgrounds and boondocking availability.
Any other gotchas we should be aware of?
We understand the legal requirements for vehicles, humans and dogs.
Thanks for your thoughts!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Will follow this thread.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
the shoulder seasons are getting better now with most places staying open well into late Sept or early Oct. I would look into Nfld past Labour Day. Have heard of early snowfalls on the rock starting late or mid September. I could be wrong but I am sure someone from the area will chime in and set us straight where needed.
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Highly suggest you look into when most campgrounds close. It gets cold quickly! If I remember correctly, many campgrounds close by Oct 1st, if not sooner...but my memory for exact dates is hazy.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Hutto , Texas
We were in the area in 2013. Had an instance of seasonal campground closure on 9/22 on PEI. There was another still open so it wasn't an issue for us but I agree with the comment that by Oct. finding open campgrounds may be a problem.
Wanderer2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Another wrinkle in this: Campground is open, but water is shut off. At least down in this balmy southern climate of PA, we see that quite a bit later in the season. A variation on this is that some sites have "freeze proof" faucets and others do not. Those sites get shut of later. Exactly *how* you are supposed to figure out which sites are which online .... yikes ....

Out traditional work around has been to plan to use the fresh water tank onboard for the whole trip. If we get lucky and the site still does have water, that's great.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
We are a planning a trip to Gaspe, NS, NL and points in-between as weather permits. We'll be leaving in late August and have no required return date and no real schedule.
Any guidance on the practicalities of this trip? Our main concerns at this point are seasonal shutdown of campgrounds and boondocking availability.

We did a tour of the Maritimes and the Gaspe some years back, stayed mostly at Provincial Parks (called National Parks in Quebec), New Brunswick was beautiful, our favorite park was Kouchibougiac, be warned the roads in the Maritimes can be brutal, we rattled our pull out draws right onto the floor - drive slowly on the poor roads and enjoy the scenery. Newfoundland roads are the worst we have experenced outside 3rd world countries - but don't let that stop you, just slow right down.

On the north shore of the St Lawrence near the Saguanay fjord roads can be very, very steep, so start out with good brakes on both TV and trailer. Loved the people, loved the scenery, don't overlook PEI. Wine is expensive, we brought a case of our own (and the reciept) and paid the duty when crossing. Fabulous local fish and seafood available from local stores and fishermen's outlets throughout the coast. We hardly ate any meat for a month - but gorged on fresh and smoked fish, oysters and mussels.

We love to boondock, weather can be cool, so take a hot water bottle and thick socks! Should not be freezing near the coast at that time of the year so pipes should be fine.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
It depends on how long you wish to stay. Celtic Colours festival in October if you wish to extend that long.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Micanopy , Florida
We are planning on being up thataway late aug through early oct. I know it will be cooler than Here in Florida (home base) and if my memory serves me correctly local ponds, lakes, etc will bring your body temp down in seconds!
Don't have # on the roof, but look for the 25 FC being run by Sadie, our cattle dog. I'm sure she will allow us a drink or two
Rick Jane , Sadie
Offack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We just came from NS. Went there for a month. As previous posters said, check when camp grounds close. Most are variable. We found a lovely one and the owners say as soon as there is a threat of snow, they shut everything down and leave for the winter (they retreat to Florida).

There are enough Walmart’s to get completely around NS and not drive more than 150 miles between them. Boondocking in Canada in general is a bit more challenging than it is in the states as it is illegal in most places. Make sure you do not let boarder crossing peeps know that you are boondocking or staying in a Walmart parking lot. They may not let you in.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
...Boondocking in Canada in general is a bit more challenging than it is in the states as it is illegal in most places. .....
Re-stated with greater precision, Nova Scotia has the strongest anti-camping regulations in North America -- or almost so, or it does but they are only selectively enforced, or any one of a number of other evolving and confusing interpretations.

The province was the first (and possibly the only) to ban boondocking categorically, as a ruse intended to drive dollars to campground owners, through the act of leaving tourists with no choice in the matter. The trouble is, as other posters have noted, campgrounds are typically full during the high season, or closed due to the off-season, so there is often no recourse for those on the road.

I've never heard of any high-profile enforcement cases under this law. People overnight in NS Walmarts all the time and I've never seen them interfered with. But I know that there are some places in the province where "campers" will immediately be driven out, due to historical precedents.

Here is the original well-known white paper referencing NS's regulations.

http://cornwaab.altervista.org/rv-report_1.pdf
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
Should be a spectacular trip. Prepare for condensation problems though.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
I am currently in Windsor, NS and will be driving around NS for three more weeks. I just made the trip from Quebec City around the coast up to Gaspe. I parked on the street in Montmagny next to a river. I parked on the Rimouski Wharf and went to the Empress of Ireland Museum. I parked in Cloridorme in a small park overlooking the St. Lawrence. I parked in Parrsboro on a vacant lot. I parked in Charlottetown in a lot where some construction was being done right by the marina, although I was mindful of the cruise ship schedule. This is my sixth time to the Maritimes and also spent 3 weeks in NL. I have only been here in June and July. We should connect when we are back in Atlanta and compare notes.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It depends on how long you wish to stay. Celtic Colours festival in October if you wish to extend that long.
Oh yes! I'll look into this festival.
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:05 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
Some private campgrounds in the maritimes stop taking reservation and only be partially open after labor day weekend. I think most are open until Thanksgiving weekend (october). The only campgrounds open after that weekend are the National parks. They close after Halloween. No park are open in November.

The temperature at night can go down to freezing starting in October. We were out camping Thanksgiving weekend but it was our last trip.

Most tourist attractions close after Labour day. The fall colours will be at their peak Thanksgiving weekend. Kouchibouquack or Highland view park would offer the best fall foliage views in the campground.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
nice federal park 3 service campground in Eastern NB

Kouchibouguac National Park

128 full service spots split between wooded and open

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/nb/kouchibouguac
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
We plan leaving for Canada at the end of August. Entering at Sault Sainte Marie, MI and work our way east towards Nova Scotia. This will our first extended trip and plan to take Moosetags "fly by the seat of your pants" approach to scheduling stops as we have no fixed agenda.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamakai View Post
We plan leaving for Canada at the end of August. Entering at Sault Sainte Marie, MI and work our way east towards Nova Scotia. This will our first extended trip and plan to take Moosetags "fly by the seat of your pants" approach to scheduling stops as we have no fixed agenda.
Hi

You will find campgrounds along the route starting to close at Labor Day. At 200 to 300 miles a day, you could still be south of the boarder then. That's not to say you can't find places to stay, only that the range of places starts to drop off a bit.

Depending on just how long the "extended trip" is going to be (months? .... back by Christmas ? ), there could be challenges with water and dump stations later in the trip.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote