Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
The Great River Road Trip

My wife and I will be leaving on 5/24 for a 3 week trip going the northern route along the Mississippi River. We're pulling our 2019 25 ft Serenity with our 2018 2 wheel drive Ford Expedition, (tow package of course) along with our dog, Pearl. We're starting at Leroy Percy State Park in Mississippi for three nights, then Reelfoot Lake State Park and on to Mark Twain State Park.
After that...who knows where the road will take us. I'm looking for suggestions for places to see, stay and eat at along the Mississippi River, maybe boondocking on occasion, chime in Ray. One place we're stopping for sure is the Delta blues museum in Clarksdale, MS. No big cities, rural and rustic are more to our liking. We plan to drive as far north as Minneapolis. Then turn south towards Paw Paw, Ill. where my wife's father is turning 94 years old. Still in good shape. Always has a couple of scotch's before dinner. Then back to Atlanta. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
1590Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Memphis has some compelling historical and cultural sites, even if the city is gritty. Day trip?
Hannibal is fun... just touristy enough. St. Genevieve for French colonial history. Cahokia is worth a stop if it fits with your itinerary. Pete Marquette park is close.
Mississippi Palisades has nice wildflower hikes.
Dubuque is a fun small town with a nice river museum.
And we liked the Trompaleau WI area.
For the northern terminus, Itasca SP, MN is fitting. A very nice park! We also stayed at a park just west of Duluth, atop their hydroelectric system, with nice cycling. There’s quite a bit to see in Duluth.
All of these recollections are pre COVID. Check access and ratings before you go!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The River Road is a beautiful drive, tho it is not quick so be prepared to meander thru all the old River towns.

Galena, Il, is a beautiful old town with 75% of it on the National Register of Historic Places.

Rather touristy in recent years, it is still charming and has some great restaurants.

If you can get into the Ridge campground at Wyalusing State Park, it is unique and offers a spectacular view of the rivers beneath.

Enjoy.

Maggie