Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
The BIG trip. Phoenix, Orlando

I need some help here. I want to buy a classic motor home but the wife being the practical one wants to rent first. She found a reposition trip from one of the companies that rents them for a good price. Now it's up to me to make this the family vacation to end all vacations. We have 9 days and 3000 miles. We plan on going to Grand Canyon N.P. first then to Atlanta and down to Orlando. What should we see on the way. My kids are 8 and 5. The cooler this trip is the better (so I can get my a/s.) HELP!
Thanks,
Russell (future airstreamer!)
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

There is an awful lot to see on the route that you are planning. 3,000 miles in 9 days will require at least 6 hours of steady driving per day. Your stops along the way will have to be short. This will somewhat limit your choices.

You failed to mention if you are an experienced RVer. It's not rocket science, but there is a learning curve in RV travel especially in the area of set up and breakdown and RV systems operation. Rent and watch the Robin Williams Movie "RV". You will get the idea.

You definitely don't want to make this trip into an RV disaster.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Where are you picking up the Motor Home? You should plan to spend a day at Grand Canyon area, plus there will be more to see than you might think along the way.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
I did some RV camping when I was a kid but it has been about 30 years. We are repositioning a RV for Cruise America. The pick up is in Phoenix and drop in Orlando. I am looking for cool things to do along I-40 (or close to it). If the kids have a good time we will be able to gang up on the wife Should I stay at KOA's at night? Any places better than others?
Thanks,
Russell
Old 04-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
I want to buy a classic motor home but the wife being the practical one wants to rent first. -- Now it's up to me to make this the family vacation to end all vacations. We have 9 days and 3000 miles. -- The cooler this trip is the better (so I can get my a/s.)
I have been thinking about your post. I am wishing you the best, but I am afraid you are setting yourself up for failure.

The reason I say this is that the best thing about Airstreaming is r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g, which you aren't gonna get much chance to do with an average of 333 miles a day to cover every day for 9 days.

We have been Airstreaming for 6 years now. We generally plan on 300 miles a day when making a cross-country passage, that is, getting from "point A to point B". When we are sightseeing, 2 or 3 days at each camp, touring around the vicinity, then commonly only 100 miles or so to the next stop where we repeat the process. With our trailer, we unhitch and tour with the tow vehicle. With a motor home you need a "toad" (towed vehicle) to do that.

My feeling is that you might want to rethink this, and plan on a less ambitious introduction to RVing.

Best wishes,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
One nice place to stop is Meteor Crater. It is just East of Flagstaff and has a very nice RV park where we have stayed. The stop at the crater is normally only a few hours, but it is a very impressive thing to see. Heading East on I-40 from there you could stop in Winslow and visit the La Posada Hotel (great lunch stop) which is an historic Fred Harvey Hotel that has recently been restored. You might want to also make a quick stop at "Standing on a Corner" in Winslow, Arizona. Take it easy! Holbrook and the painted desert are next as you travel East. There is a KOA in Holbrook, but I won't be staying there until next week.

BTW, when are you starting the trip?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Russell:

In 2001, I towed a loaded car trailer from Pittsburgh to Phoenix at about 420 miles a day accompanied by my wife. Since then, I cannot talk her into a cross country trip with the Airstream regardless of any promises to take longer, spend a day or two at each stop or whatever.

Good Luck!
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
Our trip will start on May 30. I agree it's a big trip.