Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Texas Hill Country help...

We're going to see my mom's new place in Horseshoe Bay, Tx near Marble Falls. We're looking for a nice place to stay for a few days the first of April. We really like nice shaded parks for our little 22' Liner. Not really into the KOA type. Anyone have any suggestions.

Looking a reserve america "Inks Lake Sate Park" and "Pedernales State Park" look to be nice places, anyone stay at either? If so recommendations on site location.

Thanks,
Cory
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Pedernales Falls SP is one of my favorite places. Many of the sites are pretty secluded with vegitation around them. Very pretty place (for Texas) with lots of good hikes. They are two way hook ups.

Inks Lake is bigger and the sites are more open but it is on the lake. There is also a golf course there.

Both are good choices. Longhorn Caverns is also a good place to visit if you stay at Inks. LBJ ranch is close to Perdenales and is worth a stop. If you are into wine, there is a winery on the road from Perdenals SP to Johnson City (IIRC Texas Hill Country).
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I would choose Inks

Inks is the closest of the two to Horseshoe Bay and a bit closer to restaurants and other facilities. Inks has some interesting hikes, as well. There are a number of small granite domes right in the park.

While in the area, check out Enchanted Rock State Natural Area. Enchanted Rock is one of the biggest granite upheavals in the country. Moderately strenuous climb to the top for a great view of the Llano Uplift. Not too far from Inks.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Inks is the closest of the two to Horseshoe Bay and a bit closer to restaurants and other facilities. Inks has some interesting hikes, as well. There are a number of small granite domes right in the park.

While in the area, check out Enchanted Rock State Natural Area. Enchanted Rock is one of the biggest granite upheavals in the country. Moderately strenuous climb to the top for a great view of the Llano Uplift. Not too far from Inks.
And if you go to Llano you can pick up some Llanite ... the only place in the world that has granite infused with BLUE quartz crystals!
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
Have fun with your mom......she lives in a GREAT STATE...

TEXAS AMERICA!!!

Marble Falls has a great pie cafe too!!!

TAC 42
callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Thanks for the advice ya'll, I'm going to make reservation at Pedernales Falls SP.
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Pedernales Falls SP is always much easier to get into than Inks Lake SP because it so popular. I have enjoyed camping at both and each have their own character. Pedernales Falls SP is usually much quieter than Inks Lake SP.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yup, we just went out to Pedernales Falls SP a few weeks back, had a great time. I used to tent-camp there often as a kid on up through college, but I'd never RV-camped there. It was nice, quiet, and most of the sites are pretty spacious.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Exclamation Be WARNED

The only thing really wrong with the beautiful Texas Hill Country in the spring, and summer (altho Maybe not yet) (but I would not dare chance it) is our infamous Red Bugs. You will never see one but oh you will never forget that they saw and tasted you.

I guess some folks call them chiggers. But they will ruin your trip, for perhaps months to come if they take a likin' to ya.

Not to worry though if you will just SPRAY your legs, (including SOCKS) and your waist line and other body parts if they might brush against the foilage. And do not roll around on the ground without the DeepWoods Off type stuff on either.

I suppose others will give more info.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Drummer.

Cory lives in Missouri where he have 834,346,783,452,345,254,457 chiggers per square foot in tall grass and woods. Usually here they come out in late spring, but it's already late spring temps in TX.

Beware

Steve
Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
The only thing really wrong with the beautiful Texas Hill Country in the spring, and summer (altho Maybe not yet) (but I would not dare chance it) is our infamous Red Bugs. You will never see one but oh you will never forget that they saw and tasted you.

I guess some folks call them chiggers. But they will ruin your trip, for perhaps months to come if they take a likin' to ya.

Not to worry though if you will just SPRAY your legs, (including SOCKS) and your waist line and other body parts if they might brush against the foilage. And do not roll around on the ground without the DeepWoods Off type stuff on either.

I suppose others will give more info.
Let's not forget the annual spring hatching of seed ticks. Every spring the fresh crop of ticks hatch in the millions. These almost microscopic critters are everywhere.

When I lived in the Hill Country, a popular technique for getting them out of your yard was to throw a big party. "Bring everyone, the kids, the dogs, everyone!" That way, most of the ones in your yard went home with the guests.