Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
Tetons Yellowstone Trip

Planning a trip to Tetons And Yellowstone next summer from Texas. Would appreciate RV park reconstructions and sites to see along the way.
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
In that neck of the woods, will see an almost endless number of billboards for Wall Drug in Wall, South Dakota. It's not an exciting or educational stop, but it's somewhere to stop and stretch your legs.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
What route do you anticipate, and will you be going at a leisure pace, or still working/gotta get there.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
We just returned from 9 days there. In Jackson we stayed at Fireside Resort (one of the most expensive RV parks we've ever stayed at - $89/night). It was very nice and very convenient, and despite the price I would recommend it. We toured Grand Teton from there and enjoyed the town of Jackson. In Yellowstone we stayed at Fishing Bridge. Nice people and convenient, but basically a parking lot for RVs with hookups.

On the route up--we drove up US191 from Grand Junction and stayed at a USFS campground on Flaming Gorge Reservoir going north (Buckboard Crossing) and on the way home we stayed just north of Vernal Utah at a beautiful Park--Steinaker State Park. Full hook-up and 4 other airstreams there!

Colorado Mountains
International Sterling 27FB
2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax & Allison
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been going to Grand Teton National Park every year for the last ten years. We stay at the Gros Ventre campground in the Park if we can get in. If we can't get in the park, we stay at the Virginian RV Park in Jackson.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Signal mountain in Grand Tetons but it is first come first serve, electric only. Wonderful and wooded. Size limits. Deer roamed thru our campsite while we were sitting there.
Custer state park in South Dakota is also wonderful.
Have fun. It is wonderful and scenic. We went after Labor Day when crowds were less but still surprisingly present.
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymyers56 View Post
Planning a trip to Tetons And Yellowstone next summer from Texas. Would appreciate RV park reconstructions and sites to see along the way.
What style of camping are you looking for, full hookups or are you comfortable with dry camping?

We just completed our 5th trip over a 10 year period and our style is to turn-and-burn to get there, then we spend 10 days or so with no hookups camping. We do move every 3 or 4 days, that allows us to dump the tanks and take on fresh water. Typical stops are somewhere near Wichita Falls TX (Overnight), Lamar CO(Overnight), just west of Cheyenne WY(A few days), North of Pinedale WY(a few days) then into Jackson. Like Moosetags says, Gros Ventre is our default spot near Jackson. The crowds can be horrible in Yellowstone's peak season.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
We were there for the second time last sept. We stayed at grizzly Rv in west Yellowstone. Not cheap around 50 a night but great place. Right at the west gate and closest run into the park from outside. Stayed at the Virginian in Jackson. Good location close to park and minutes from down town on foot. I would go thru the park either into or out of it if pulling a/s the pass is a lot easier than the pass thru Idaho. Our brake controller failed about a third of the way down the big pass. Luckily the touch pad still worked so I could manually set the brakes. Made for a nervous trip down. Just looked at my television and price is right is giving away a trip to Jackson and Yellowstone as I type.have a great time.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Peak season is here. We are filling every campsite in the park almost every night. Never seen it like this.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
We will not be in a hurry. Plan on dry camping some. Will leave Texas and head to Grand Canyon then on to Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, Badlands, Rocky Mountain National Park. We have a Pendleton Airstream and it needs to see some of the National Parks.
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I too just returned from Yellowstone. Because we were on a time crunch, and it takes three days to get to Yellowstone from Austin, I arranged it so we drove 400-600 miles a day. We camped at KOAs with prior reservations each night. Back in January I reserved a spot at Fishing Bridge. The reality is that there isn't tons of choices at Yellowstone. I found Fishing Bridge just fine because after eating breakfast, we packed up and headed out to hike and enjoy the park. We would return around dinner time and then make plans for the next day. We did 7 days in Fishing Bridge and while it is a "park lot" (complete with lots of dust), it was perfect for us since we weren't there to enjoy the RV park, but the greater outdoor experience of Yellowstone.

I find for quick overnighters, either KOA or boondocking in National Forest the best options out there. One word of caution though. Not all KOAs are the same. The one in Fort Collins is off my list forever. I'll drive a bit further to Cheyenne before staying there again.

I will say that if you can avoid I-25 in Colorado, do so at all costs... I thought I-35 in Texas from Dallas to San Antonio was bad, but I-25 is a total disaster. It took us twice as long to get through Colorado as it should have due to multiple accidents (it's no wonder based on the way I saw people driving).

You have some time before your trip, but plan ahead! It will be well worth doing... As somebody mentioned already Yellowstone is bonkers. We got there early in the season (last week in May, first week in June) and things were fully booked already.

I haven't put up many images yet, but here are a few from Yellowstone so far: https://flic.kr/s/aHskATrS2u

Plan in advance and have a wonderful trip!
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
In the Grand Tetons we like to stay at Colter Bay in the park. Full hookups and spacious sites. Yellowstone has full hookups at Fishing Bridge (which you can't fish off of) but it is really tight and we decided that if we were to do it again we would stay there just one night to dump tanks and fill fresh water. Dry camp on the front and back ends somewhere else.
Glacier is one of our favorites. We camped at Apgar a couple of years ago. Spot B96 to be exact. It was late in the season so no problem getting a site. I understand the KOA is really nice if you need hookups.
Have fun!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

I hope you won't mind if I tag in...I plan on visiting Grand Tetons this fall....in mid August or mid September. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We are going in 2 weeks (so excited) and route will be across Nebraska, then continue on I-80 in WY to Rawlings and then up through Lander and staying the night in Dubois at the KOA before entering YNP.

We deliberately are avoiding I-25 and Denver.

In YNP we are camping (with generator, water jerry can, and blue boy tote) in Madison as we liked the location.

Kind of freaked out to be honest about not having a reservation for the 2 night we then plan to do in GTNP. When I called to reconfirm our YNP reservation this week I chatted up the phone correspondent, and asked what time in the morning we would need to be in GTNP to secure a spot. He recommended between 8 and 8:30 am. Yikes that means we will be dumping tanks, hitching up and packing up the night before moving from YNP to GTNP so we can hopefully get a spot for the next 2 nights. Backup plan will be leaving the parks for national forest land.

On our way back home we are planning to stay in a place just south of Cheyenne called Terry Bison Ranch which looks kind of cool in a kitchy way. And we are staying both directions in Kearney NE at the Kearney RV park just off I80.

We have not stayed at any of these places before, as we only got our rig last year. I will post back and let folks know how they are.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I just made reservations for 4 nights at Coulter Bay RV park September 17th on return trip from Ft. Stevens, Oregon. Will appreciate any info re: route, directions, camping spots from Ft Stevens to Coulter Bay....9/12-17! Thanks.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote