Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2003, 12:26 PM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Taking a shower

Ok - I tried the "search button" to see if anyone had posted this question and not much info. So...I am wondering about the time frame for taking a shower with a 6 gallon WH. With 2 teenage boys on our upcoming trip, I think I will need to set a time limit or I won't have hot water for dishes, etc. after they use it up in washing. With the drought here in Colo. I have been working to get everyone in the house to only use shower for 15 min. Is that too long in a trailer? Also, about how long to get hot water back if it gets used up? Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sorry, no 15 minute showers while camping...unless it's in a park washroom

The best advice is to do "Army Showers". Get wet, turn off the water, lather, turn the water back on to rinse off.

Think of (6) 1-gallon jugs of milk...for an idea of how big your W/H is. It doesn't last too long, but the recovery is pretty quick, I've never timed it but it's never been much of a problem for us.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Taking a shower

Greetings Leigh!

You'll soon discover that the need for conserving water is directly related to your utility connections. When you have "city" water with waste water disposal connections, the water heater will likely keep pace with 5 to 7 minute pacing of showers. The problem arises when you are running on your water storage tank and sending to the gray water tank with the limited storage capacitities available. There is a switch on the showerhead that allows the flow of water to be shut-off whenever it isn't needed - - this little switch gets a work out when it is necessary to save water either due to lack of fresh water in the tank or when the gray water tank must be called upon.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Water Temp Makes a Difference!

Our 31 footer has a 10 gallon water tank. If the hot water temp is set high, then you will use less hot water mixed in the the cold to give you the desired shower temperature. We take 5-10 minute showers without running out of water. I light the water heater as soon as camp is set up and turn it off just before we leave camp. The water heater does not seem to use much propane at all.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Leigh,I am finding it easier and less of a mess to just shower at the camp ground facilities.
Rubyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up

Quote:
If the hot water temp is set high, then you will use less hot water mixed in the the cold to give you the desired shower temperature.
Good point Pick...I was going to mention that too.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Leigh,

You have multiple factors here. First how cold is the water coming into the hot water tank? Secondly is the water heater a gas only unit or is it the electric/gas combo? Third will they use the shower head shutoff to wet down, soap up, and rinse, rather than standing under a steady stream of water.

All these factors will affect the length of time that the hot water is available. I'm not sure if you can tell the guys a specific time limit since the factors above will affect that time. Unless you are in a clime where the water supply is fairly warm (Florida comes to mind), you should leave at least 10-15 minutes elapse between showers for a gas water heater to recover.

If they dally in the shower too long, they will soon learn how much time is too much!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I wanted to mention that if you are not on a sewer line hookup, your showers will fill that grey water tank pretty quickly.
I like the army shower idea, but also we have used the campground showers almost everywhere we have been- and used our airstream shower only when really necessary.
I will say too that here in Georgia where our drought is finally over, we never took more than 10min. showers in the house- 15 minutes is a lot of water use. (Yes I do have at teenager who loves that warm water...also.)
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

I second that recommendation about using the campground showers. Using your trailer's shower will fill up your grey tank pretty quickly, and will fill up a 30 gal blue tank quickly too.

I've used the camp showers with good success and saved the hot water heater for dishes and washing up.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Wink shower vs. teens

Thanks everybody!!! We will be camping in a full hookup campground with sewer hookup on site, soo, I think I am hearing that each person could take a 5-10min shower with fairly warm/hot water IF they do so military style (on/off/on/off) without using too much propane and not filling grey tank!!

The younger of the two kids will probibly think he is clean enough if he gets in the pool. The older one pictures the ocean in his head when showering (endless source!!), so I will steer him toward the camp showers (hopefully his 15 yr old modesty won't pop up) and the trailer shower will only be used if absolutely necessary.

Don't you guys think that they should come up with a camping Trivial Pursuit game??? Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

The recovery time on a six gallon tank (using gas) is so fast, that by the time one gets out, dried off, dressed, and out of the bathroom, it will have nearly full capacity. Certainly within five minutes or so.

As was pointed out, if you are dependant upon your holding tanks that is much more limiting. Wife and I find that we can do a weekend, each taking one shower (taking no particular water saving measures), and just make it without overflowing the grey water tank. I wish there was some convenient way to pump about 10 gal. into the black tank.

Not trying to be prigish, but one of the reasons we got the Airstream was NOT to have to use the camp showers. But then, we aren't camping with kids.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:32 PM   #12
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
hose em down

use the hose on the kids and save the shower for you and the wife!

just a thought!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Here, buy one of these and hand them a 1 gallon water jug when they go into the shower. Tell them they can take a shower as long as their water last

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6763