My 99 Excella had a power surge due to lightning strike nearby. It did not have surge protection. Had it had a surge protector at that point, what would have happened?
That surge damaged several things.
1. power cord end and dog bone adapter burned/melted/welded together had to replace both.
2. air conditioner had to be replaced
3. the refrigerator thermostat stuck in max cold will no longer adjust
Not long afterward (not positively as a result of the surge, but probably):
3. converter started charging at 14v constantly had to be replaced
4. one battery cracked and the other swelled, both had to be replaced and the acid spilled on the frame had to be neutralized.
5. water heater ignition module had to be replaced
6. 50 amp and 20 amp 12v
breakers started to heat and trip during normal use had to be replaced
I spent over $1500 for materials to make these repairs. Luckily I could do all of these things myself, so I did not pay any labor costs.