Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My thoughts exactly.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #22
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
Why would anyone want to come to FL during the summer? All we can think of is going north to get out of the temp, humidity, rain and the mosquitoes.

>>ron<<

EXACTLY!!! Jeez, everybody comes down here in February and thinks, "My, how pleasant!" Then, they return for an August visit... As their faces melt into their laps, the last, desperate thought to go through their steamed brain before they succumb in the 95% humidity, 98 degree oven that is summer in Florida, is, "Satan HAS to be here somewhere..." Then a monsoon dumps on their swollen, bug eaten corpse, and promptly, the sun comes back out to start the whole cycle over again.

I'm looking for a nice piece of property in upper Michigan to spend 6 months out of the year... And, no, I won't stay there through that frozen hell they call winter.

-Red, possibly a bit dramatic...
Old 07-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
The summer in Florida is no worse than the summer in Mobile, Alabama. I went to high school in Mobile without air conditioning. I can take the heat and there is no denying it was hot. But, my trip occurred as a matter of scheduling convenience. My favorite time to enjoy the beaches and other water based attractions is late September to end of October. 10-15 degrees cooler than middle of summer, water is still warm and not as crowded. But when you work and you have young kids you have to travel when your schedule permits.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #24
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I did say I was possibly a bit dramatic...

-Red, qualifying every statement...
Old 07-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
I understand that you all love the Keys state parks, but how in the world do you get a reservation? They were all booked when I checked a year in advance. Do you all sit a a computer at the exact minute they open up?? Inquiring minds want to know (I made reservations at Jolly Rogers for January due to no openings at State Parks)
yes...at 8:00 sharp and no guarantee you will be sucessful

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
We have just lucked out 3 times in the past four years. Once I was up at 2 am one January, and just happened to look...and bingo...four days during July 4 th week. Someone must have just canceled, and I snatched them up. Didn't even wake up my husband to ask if it worked with his schedule. Next time, I got reservations about 7 months out. This time I snatched up four days that must have just opened up while I was looking. Keep trying...it will happen,
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Jarrod,
Our trip to Curry Hammock was awesome! Very quiet, great for kayaking, shelling, and swimming out on the sand bars. Saw lots of wildlife....including 6 manatees that went right under our kayak! I think I prefer Curry Hammock over all the other parks in the keys. My husband still likes Bahia Honda best. I want to book for next summer already!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
That's great. I kayaked by a manatee at Ft Desoto in July and it is a neat experience. Im looking forward to being back at Curry Hamock in November.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Valdosta , Georgia
Anastasia State Park, centrally located to Downtown St. Augustine (about 10 minutes over the bridge of lions) You can go down to the beach and watch the sunrise, something me and the wife did at least 3 times while camping there. But you need to be careful, because it looks like the State of Florida effectively doubled the amount of spaces in their campgrounds, but splitting the sites. Now, there are full length sites as well as half sites literally side by side. Only being separated by a small wood fence. So you really get to know your neighbor. The only other thing I can say about the campgrounds is the sand. Its everywhere and so fine that no matter what you do, you tend to track into the camper. Even with the outdoor carpet out, we still tracked it. Anyways, I would highly recommend going to that park, there is a great Spanish quarry trail with the history of St. Augustine entwined in it. I highly recommend it.
AirAbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I often stay at Anastasia SP. This July ('15) I was in a different loop than previous trips and did not like it as well. It needed to be leveled and filled a bit. The rain left my truck in a pool of standing water- sea urchin loop. All other times have been great.