Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Suggestions for beach side campground in Bear Lake, UT

We are thinking about taking our first extended weekend trip on our new AS with the kids to Bear Lake (Utah side) just a few hours away from were we live.

I've been there before, but never with a trailer. Would love suggestions on a nice campground right by the beach if there is such a thing. We'd prefer quieter state park I think but don't know if there might be a nicer private rv park on beach front.

Also, if I remember correctly, would it be an easier drive to go up through Parley's Canyon in Salt Lake rather than Ogden Canyon?
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Hi Lola,

You may want to download the AllStays app ( free) it shows private and public campgrounds all over the U.S. Just put in the area where you are going and you can see all the surrounding campgrounds on the map and all the details about them ( waterfront or not, types of hook-ups or not, playgrounds, activities etc) and reviews from those who have stayed there.

We like to use it when we're on the road too. For example, if I know we want to stop in 2 hours I can use the map function to look at our camping options on our route 2 hours ahead. AllStays includes the phone number of the campground so I can just choose and call to reserve. Walmart locations are on the map too if you're just looking for a quick overnight stop.

We also use Campendium ( website) and find their information and reviews to be detailed and helpful.

Both of these will help you find what you're looking for.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Never been there except back in the 60's on a road trip to Yellowstone with mom and dad. I remember we stopped at a brand new campground for lunch in the mountains just before heading down to the lake. What I most remember were the brand new picnic tables, heavy lacquered, works of art. I'm sure they are now replaced or if they still exist are covered by carvings.

Anyway, a quick search of one of the state parks on Bear Lake. Even shows an Airstream.

https://www.campendium.com/rendezvous-beach

I went with the pro version of Allstays. Very nice app especially on the iPad.

Half the fun is researching for the trip.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
I did get the Allstays app and am just now checking out Campendium. I like that they have actual photos of the camp sites on that one. The Allstays app just has that images link that sends you to like a Google image results page, and it seems sometimes the images are not even relevant. I'll click on a really woodsy looking site and it's not even in the right state. But I do like the map that shows where the campsites and other amenities are located.

I was just hoping for some first hand experience with some of the options there as there appears to be a few different campgrounds available. I was hoping there was one with a short walking distance to a nice beachy area so the kids could just carry their little kayaks over there. I remember going there when I was little and tent camping right on the beach. I don't think that's available anymore but something close would be nice. I will certainly keep digging.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Moss Bluff , Louisiana
Bear Lake ID

I stayed there in summer 2011 at the East Beach campground, as I recall the closest sites to the beach had no elect or sewer, only water hook up. Not a problem if you are self contained for a few days. I was 25 feet from the water and could launch my kayak right there. Had a great stay, and it was an interesting area for a Louisiana boy.
bayoufrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
East side is relatively quiet and less populated. Idaho parks north of the UT-ID border, as has been said, but no hookups. Go north, beyond the Scout camp. If I had the opportunity I'd definitely go up Weber Canyon (I believe you are thinking of this and not Ogden Canyon) on I-84 to Echo Junction and then on to Evanston. But depending on where you are, you could also go up Logan Canyon and then down to Bear Lake.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
So does the east side have a sandy beach? It looks nice, from the photos I've seen online but, can't tell if it's just a raggedy, shrubby drop off to the water.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaT View Post
I did get the Allstays app and am just now checking out Campendium. I like that they have actual photos of the camp sites on that one. The Allstays app just has that images link that sends you to like a Google image results page, and it seems sometimes the images are not even relevant. I'll click on a really woodsy looking site and it's not even in the right state. But I do like the map that shows where the campsites and other amenities are located.
If you would like to see photos of the individual sites, the Utah SP reservation website has multiple pics of each site. Just click on the site you want to see, click the enter date button and the images will come up. You can enlarge them to see them better. Find Campsites - Bear Lake State Park, UT - ReserveAmerica
Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Years ago I camped in a tent at the state park on the east side of the lake in Idaho. As I recall, there was easy access from the campground to the beach and lake. Here is a link to the website and there is phone number for the park. I would give them a call about the beach.

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/bear-lake

And it is an easier tow up through Evanston, Wy.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
So we took the Evanston route up through Parsley's Canyon.

We stayed first night in the South Eden campground #13 with just water. Would have stayed longer but we were meeting friends on the other side of the lake. I really liked it because there was no one there. Shore was accessible. No sand, but small pebbles and very clear water. Kids were able to kayak a little.

The rest of the weekend, we stayed in Laketown, Rendezvous Beach, at the the Big Creek campground #42. I picked it because it was surrounded by trees. I thought the trees, seclusion, and shade would be nice. It also appeared fairly close to the beach. However, it was a mosquito nightmare. We didn't spend any time outside there unless it was to get into the car and leave. Unbearable. : (

Thank you so much for all the suggestions.