Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2022, 08:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hailey , Idaho
State or RV Park Ideas for GA and SC Coast

Hi - we are West Coasters and have never traveled up from from Jacksonsville and plan to this spring. Likely leaving end of March with our 27FT AS, 2 mountain bikes and our pup. My wife and I are very active (mountain bike, hike, fish, golf explore etc). We are more state park than RV but have done both and will do both. We like more quiet with space and unique. Any good ideas nearer perhaps to some of the great golf and fishing? Thanks everyone
Fishski2470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
The SC coastal State parks from south to north are;

Hunting Island
Edisto Beach
Huntington Beach
Myrtle Beach

I’d say Hunting and Huntington Beach for fishing.
Myrtle Beach closer to golf
I believe Edisto is the most unique and isolated.

I was recently (last year) disappointed in Hunting Island as I felt they needed to upgrade the infrastructure. To be fair it could be hurricane damage. However it is close to Beaufort and Hilton Head which give you a lot of options for golf and fishing.

Myrtle Beach Travel resort is a great private park for golf.

I think a new private RV park is being developed in Bluffton that looks good but not sure if it is complete near Hilton Head.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Ft. Pierce , Florida
You could try Fort Clinch in Fernadina Beach, Fl. Plenty of fishing and golf. If you have time, stop at St Mary’s,GA and take the ferry to Cumberland Island. You should be able to bike most places there, but call to verify. REI sponsors bike/camp tours there. It’s beautiful. Plenty to walk to without bikes. You could stay at Crooked River State Park, but it can be a haven for noseeums so you might want to move on. Skidaway Island State Park will not disappoint. They have trails and we enjoy biking around the area. It’s a quick commute into Savannah to explore the many self guided walks, or just walk and see the wonderful architecture. Visit the Visitors Center there. We have not stayed around Beaufort, but we hear Hunting Island is good. Regardless, time spent in Beaufort will be worth it. Good biking and walking. Visit the Visitors Center. Lots of movies filmed there. We met a resident and walked with her for awhile. She told us local tales, including the antics of Pat Conroy when he was there. Nice people. I would definitely second Edisto State Park. Biking, walking and fishing. We stay at the inland park, but they have a beach campground as well. We would also recommend James Island County Park just outside Charleston. We biked into Charleston but, until you get into the historic section, parts of the ride can be touchy. There was some construction, but mainly some of the roads were not very bike friendly. That said, it’s a short ride into Charleston where there’s plenty to see. Walking tours abound and they can be very interesting. Some based on books, some on history, … We enjoyed a meal at the Marina Variety Store Restaurant, but there’s lots of places that will satisfy. Check for local events while traveling: craft shows, markets…. Be mindful of your speed off the interstate. Hope you enjoy your travel through that area as much as we did Oregon.

PS. I forgot Jekyll Island Campground. Great biking and should be good fishing, and golfing. Most places could be busy as folks leave Florida for points North and some don’t reserve the day of arrival. So you may need to call or hope for an overflow spot. James Island is tough on the weekends.
FLCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Skidaway Island State Park near Savannah, GA is a great park . GA has some of the best state parks in the nation. They fill up quick however so you must book in advance. Don't just show up without a reservation & expect to find a spot. Especially Friday Thru Monday and holidays.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Just spent 3 nights at Jekyll Island SP. Beautiful; put it on your list.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I second the recommendations of Skidaway and Jekyll Island state parks. On the private side, Rivers End CG is right downtown Tybee Island. You can walk to restaurants and ride you bike to the beach. Golf cart rentals are also available for getting around town.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
The SC coastal State parks from south to north are;

Hunting Island

Edisto Beach

Huntington Beach

Myrtle Beach

I’d say Hunting and Huntington Beach for fishing.

Myrtle Beach closer to golf

I believe Edisto is the most unique and isolated.

I was recently (last year) disappointed in Hunting Island as I felt they needed to upgrade the infrastructure. To be fair it could be hurricane damage. However it is close to Beaufort and Hilton Head which give you a lot of options for golf and fishing.

Myrtle Beach Travel resort is a great private park for golf.

I think a new private RV park is being developed in Bluffton that looks good but not sure if it is complete near Hilton Head.

Hilton Head National RV park is open and has campers staying there. Amazing amenities. First class facility. This one was done right. On the high scale price wise but I think you’ll be impressed. Great restaurants close by. The golf course next door is a very nice course and is excellent condition.
GiaPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #8

Tucson , Arizona
I agree with the Skidaway Island. A nice hiking trail through the trees covered in Spanish moss is right at the park as well.
lgcarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote