Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
ST.Augustine

Going to ST.Augustine from the 26th to the 30th then probably heading down to daytona for a few more nights.
I have seen quite a few park campgrounds in Daytona but was wondering which ones were the good ones and are there some that are not online and hidden.I am looking to be near the beach as I will be doing alot of surfing and going to the arcades to let the little ones play with the kiddie games.Any suggestions.I have a couple I might decide to use but would like other opinions.Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Hey we are heading that way too, stayed last winter at the KOA near St Augustine north. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about. Just a good spot for a short stay.
I will probably stay at the big Encore Park in N Daytona from the 26- 31. IF I can get a spot. I am waiting to check the weather a week or so out, in case of ice ...it makes the N Georgia roads a bear ...
I need a place with a lot to do for my teens, otherwise I would stay at a starte park near there. Ther are some good ones...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:31 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tomoka

Tamoka (sp?) park, a county or state park about 15 miles north of Daytona, is a good park. I have stayed there occasionally. If you are into nature, there are canoe rentals, and a nature tour.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
State Park

I like going to Anastatia State Park in St.Augustine.So far this will be our third trip in the last 2 months.I have been coming here for years but now I can be there even more since we have the Airstream.This is one of my most favorite spots to camp.Everything is clean and kept up really nice plus each camping spot is secluded and you have lots of shade.And if you know what spot to pick you can always get one that is paved.They are all leveled out to.I have been trying to find another spot here recently but it is now harder to do being that the new year is coming up.Campsites are getting full fast.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We love going to State parks, but for a 4-5 day trip like this we will need more activity oriented space.....kids get bored after a few days in the park.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Parks

Hey I know what you mean.I got bored all the time when there was nothing to do when I was younger and now that Ihave a little one I always try to make sure that there is a park nearby and other fun activities to do for her.That is one reason I like going here so much(even in my single years.)because there is always something to do.(plus it helps to have friends as well.)It is a great place to visit nad the weather is always nice.
Just a note to everyone though.the bridge of lions is going to be closed here shortly so it wont ever be driven on until around 2010.They are doing an 80 million dollar renovation on it.A new temparary bridge is being built right beside it right now.I saw this just about a month ago.Here is what is going on.
http://www.fdotbridgeoflions.com/

Old 12-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
That place is great!

OK, this is totally off the topic...but I proposed to my wife to be in St. Augustine. She said yes !!! Of course that was many moons ago, but I like that town. The Inn at Commanche Harbor is a nice place. They've got a great seafood restaurant there (it's for the yacht club guys). I have only stayed in hotels down there, but I love the place. My daughter and I really get a kick out of the alligator farm. We've not been up in the lighthouse there yet but plan to. We've been up in the one at Ponce Inlet in Daytona. I love that area.

I wish you the best and hope you have a great time!

Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Conch House is a good waterfront restaurant in St. Augstine too!

I have been threatening to pull my Airstream down to the beach for a day. Just south of St. Augustine there is beach access at Butler Beach. Then 1.4 miles another access at Crescent Beach. 3 miles down from that is Ft. Matanzas, but I don't think I would pull a big trailer that far down the beach.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I like going to Anastatia State Park in St.Augustine.So far this will be our third trip in the last 2 months.I have been coming here for years but now I can be there even more since we have the Airstream.This is one of my most favorite spots to camp.Everything is clean and kept up really nice plus each camping spot is secluded and you have lots of shade.And if you know what spot to pick you can always get one that is paved.They are all leveled out to.I have been trying to find another spot here recently but it is now harder to do being that the new year is coming up.Campsites are getting full fast.
Ditto Anastatia State Park. We love Winter camp there as well.
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:23 PM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Place

We usually hit the same spots.Dairy queen(For the little one.),Barnicle bills(They have great mango sauce for there coconut shrimp.),The Bunnery bakery and cafe'(We really like going here every time we go.)It is in the old part of St.Augustine.We have not tried the conch house yet but mabey we will put that in our agenda when we get there.
When I go to the beach I usually go to the pier just past the curve or go down to A-Street.It is just to go surfing mostly though.The great part is that you can drive on the beach but I dont think Iwill be pulling my Airstream on the beach though.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You think Anastasia would make a good spot for us to jump out ot Daytona and other areas? We were at St Augustine last Spring and enjoyed it. I might make a res. for the 4-5 days there.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #12
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Rest

I dont see why not.Personaly I have always liked the area.There is always something else to do everytime we come here.Things like...Ripliey's believe it or not museum.That building is also part of the ghost tour ride as well being that the building is so old.The old graveyard.Wax museum,Beach,Aligator farm,(We are going there again when we get there.)The fort is really cool also.Just to let you know though...I like doing these things and always have liked historical stuff.It is a lot of fun for all of us.All three of us love the area.We are even talking about purchasing some land there cause we like it so much.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Don't remember the name, but there is a really nice place just south of St Augustine 3 or 4 miles. It is right on the beach and has concrete pads and full hook-ups. Lots of year round condos there, but some nice sites right on the water. Well, behind the primary dune. Great beach access and pets are allowed. Not far north to great sea food either.

Parked on the water there one year and the first days were heavan, then the wind came up and we moved away from the water to get out of the blowing sand.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Cooperhawk, are you thinking of Bryn Mawr Resort, or Ocean Grove?

http://www.see-staugustine.com/camp.php3
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 12-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Sounds good looking at the web site. 43 a nite is like Disney rates. Must be worth it to be across from the Beach area.
Anyone know about the Pacetti RV Fishing Camp?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #16
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Parks

Ocean grove seems to be a really great spot.It has everything there.Plus you are a few minutes from the Publix grocery store.It is a small shopping plaza with other stores even a starbucks.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:17 AM   #17
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Talking

Bryn Mawr. Stayed there a couple times. Just wouldn't want to back up to the primary dune again. Okay til the wind comes up. Good seafood just north of there also. My Black Lab loved the beach there because she could run in the water and play on the beach, on a long lead of course.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Alan, that Pacetti RV fishing camp looks pretty neat!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 12-15-2005, 09:54 AM   #19
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Not a campground but a snack stop...

If the Spanish bakery is still on St George (Spanish Quarter), its great for a snack! Have a great time.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Old stomping grounds

I used to live in the Daytona area. I agree with previous posts that Anastatia State Park and Tamoka are both nice spots. There's plenty to do in the area.

If you get over toward DeLand, FL. (west of Daytona) stop by BellyBusters Sub shop and ship me a Steak & Cheese sub (oh, and get one for yourself too). I have yet to find a sub shop that tops them! Almost makes me homesick.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote