Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Spring in Four Corners

Continuing to knock down our "bucket list" in April & May 2018 seeking advice about places we might overlook. We are visiting anew and again Organ Pipe Cactus NM, Lees Ferry, Monument Valley, Hovenweep NM, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Capitol Reef NP, Grand Canyon North Rim, and Yosemite NP. Confirmed reservations at the popular places with flexibility for the others. Do you recommend any along-the-way spots (aside from those listed) that vistas of natural beauty "knocked your socks off" or where a short hike is mandatory? Thanks. Maybe we'll see you along the trail.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you haven't been on the west side of Canyonlands, Warm weather, not crowded like Moab. Near Goblin Valley, Horseshoe Canyon, Robber's Roost, Capital Reef National Park and the San Rafael Swell. These are all great places a little to completely off the beaten track (some are off pavement) It would be great to tent camp at the head of Horseshoe Canyon and hike down into the canyon to see the Great Gallery pictographs or in The Maze section of Canynonlands NP. There is a campground at Goblin Valley SP, BLM camping all over and a private campground in Hanksville. Horseshoe Canyon and The Maze need you to use a high clearance vehicle and leave your trailer somewhere as a basecamp. If you are interested I can send more info. I will be in the area 3/24 to 3/31 if you want a guide who knows just enough to get in trouble. I will be staying in Hanksville.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Great Basin National Park may be on your way to Yosemite, depending on your route. The weather should be good there at that time of the year. It's sort of a laid-back national park like Capitol Reef; an enjoyable place to spend a few days.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Great Basin National Park may be on your way .
There is a campground there just about at treeline. Never been able to score a site. Also a great cave. It is on US 50 "the loneliest highway in the US"
Old 02-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
When crossing over northern AZ on US160, we always make a point of spending a night (or two or three) at Navajo National Monument. Ruins, hiking, red rock canyon country, quiet like you can hardly find. Picture of Betatakin ruin below.

Lynn
Old 02-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
McDave's Great Basin National Park is a good recommendation. Also, if you have the time, Natural Bridges National Monument south of Lake Powell is a nice stop. Wonderful little first-come-first-serve Campground that is isolated and quiet and beautiful.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Navajo National Monument is run by the Navajo and have some real good cultural programs. Similarly Canyon DeChelly is also run by the Navajo with horse and jeep tours into the canyon.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thank you for the tips. I should have described our route in detail with timelines. Departing Bend, OR 12 April with a family stop in Santa Barbara arriving at Organ Pipe Cactus NM 20 April for 10 days. North to Lees Ferry, Monument Valley, Bluff, Moab, and circling back to Capitol Reef NP, Kanab, and the North Rim. West and north to St George, Barstow, Coarsegold, and arriving at Yosemite NP 21 May. Thence north to Oroville, Ashland, Summer Lake, and Bend by 3 Jun. If the weather cooperates it should be a "dynamite" trip. The suggestions offered will certainly be considered. We've been to Great Basin NP and agree it is a great spot. I have since learned that North Cascades NP, Dry Tortugas NP, and Great Basin NP are the least visited of the National Parks.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If you are up Capital Reef way and are going northeast from there (or to there form further north), you would enjoy Goblin Valley State Park in UT... They do have a campground and you can make reservations (recommended)...it's a delightfully otherworldly place with a big valley of sandstone formations (the "goblins") that you can hike in and around...very different place.

Monument Valley is a must see. Either take an open truck tour through the monuments or do the drive yourself on a brutal road (no trailers allowed, and you wouldn't want to anyway). Truck s are recommended but we saw all kinds of cars on the road, too ... but low-slung vehicles are at risk.

Canyon de Chelly in the Navajo Reservation of Arizona is a bonus place to visit... You can do it nicely in 3 days if you want to do the north rim, the south rim and a guided tour on the floor of the canyon (the only way you can be on the floor). They have a very nice campground there a sell...I think it was $10/night when we were ether last...dry camping with a high canopy of cottonwood trees.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Robere,

Sounds like a great trip. When you are in the Monument Valley, Bluff, Utah area, you might want to consider a day trip to Valley of the Gods: https://utah.com/monument-valley/valley-of-the-gods

It is amazing. The well maintained dirt road starts between Mexican Hat and Bluff, Utah off U.S. Highway 163. Pack a lunch and plan a day. You should also have time to stop by Goosenecks State Park above the San Juan river. It's a pretty cool spot: https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goosenecks/ You can make it a loop from 163 to Valley of the Gods to Utah Route 261 then Goosenecks and back to Highway 163.

Have a great trip.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Rainbow Bridge

If possible take the day long boat trip to Rainbow Bridge on Lake Powell. Lake Powell fills Glen Canyon and is one of the most spectacular sights in the southwest. The trips leave from both Bullfrog and Wahweap marinas. There are campgrounds at Bullfrog. I have never been to Wahweap but probably there is a place to camp there as well.

https://www.nps.gov/rabr/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Rainbow Bridge

Wahweap does have a very nice RV park. I would make a reservation to be on the safe side. Enjoy.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If you've been to Organ Pipe previously...and you're returning for another 10 days... I don't need to remind you to be careful for your safety vs drug dealers/smugglers and armed bandits in that N.P. The visitor center is named after the poor young ranger killed by drug smugglers and the entrance to the park stands out with it's warnings of criminal/dangerous activity and the long border with Mexico.

Otherwise a beautiful landscape, a really nice RV C.G. facility with absolutely nothing else to do there. We left after one day for happier venues.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
tarzana , California
Sounds like great trips. We’re going from LOS Angeles to Dallas and then to the Smokey’s in June. Would come back via air stream corporate in Ohio and then back to CA. Any recommendations
Thanks frank
frank nordyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
If possible take the day long boat trip to Rainbow Bridge on Lake Powell. Lake Powell fills Glen Canyon and is one of the most spectacular sights in the southwest. The trips leave from both Bullfrog and Wahweap marinas. There are campgrounds at Bullfrog. I have never been to Wahweap but probably there is a place to camp there as well.

https://www.nps.gov/rabr/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm
Correction: Before Lake Powell, Glen Canyon was one of the most spectacular sights in the world. Now Lake Powell is just plain spectacular. Glen Canyon is history.

Waheep campground is a modern well laid out campground with great views of Lake Powell
Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Narragansett , Rhode Island
CadilacRanch RV Park in Bluff Utah is a good location to stop and see Valkey of the Gods, Monument Valley, Mexican Hat and Muley Point.
UT-12 is one of the most beautiful roads we have been on. Goes from Bluff past Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP and on to North Rim.
Gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you go north from Mexican Hat to Muley Point you climb the infamous Moki Dugway. Steep, unpaved, switchbacks. I pulled my 25 foot with no problem. I would not do it in the rain and a longer trailer could be a problem. I had a blast but I was in the drivers seat. My wife who was in the passenger seat overlooking the drop offs without guardrails not so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4418.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	304543  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
We spent October in Utah, and instead of staying at Ruby's in Bryce Canyon NP, we stayed at Kodachrome Basin SP, and absolutely LOVED it. It is located about 10 miles south and east of Bryce. It was quiet, dark at night, and very beautiful. Chock full of excellent hiking trails. Just be warned that there is no cell coverage. No WiFi. And the area around it is a food desert. One grocery store with slim pickings. No restaurants to speak of. Be prepared and enjoy.
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
When driving on The Navajo Nation, look out for the murals. Here’s out I fit into the picture: I'm excited to share the news that 20th Century Fox bought my original photo Code Talker for a new medical drama called The Resident, which airs Monday night on Fox. Code Talker is a landscape photo featuring a mural of Navajo Code Talker King Fowler. I took the shot in Arizona at The Old Red Lake Trading Post, owned by King's nephew Lorenzo Fowler. The mural is part of The Painted Desert Project initiated by Dr. Chip Thomas and painted by acclaimed muralist Nils Westergard.

The Navajo Code Talkers are said to have contributed to shortening WWII by as much as a year, thereby saving countless lives. Their heritage and service is heralded in the highest regard. Chip Thomas began The Painted Desert Project to honor the Code Talkers and to increase awareness and improve economic conditions on the Navajo Nation. It wasn’t long before people who were driving through began to stop, take photos, and talk. Nils Westergard agreed to make the trip from his home in Virginia to Arizona to paint the mural. Nils has painted murals in the US, Europe, and Australia, and is also a fantastic artist with images online and videos on YouTube.

I do not know exactly when in the season Code Talker will appear in the show, but the photo should be in The Resident’s loft on a wall behind a stationary bike. It’s a 36 x 24 on metal. All proceeds from the sale of Code Talker have been reinvested in The Painted Desert Project.

You can read more about The Painted Desert Project and possibly contribute here:

https://jetsonorama.net/the-painted-desert-project/

You can see Code Talker on my Instagram page here:

coasttocoastphotoatl
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Great Basin NP. Towed trailer to the top, Ranger said usually a campsite will be open. No campsites open down below however.

Please consider taking Utah Hwy 12: From south of Panguitch on 89, take Hwy 12 past Bryce Canyon NP to Henriville, continue to Ecalante, continue on 12 to just east of Torrey where it meets Hwy 24.

For future trips consider:

Blue Origin Rocket launch site: Take US 10 to Van Horn, TX. Take State Hwy 54 north about 23 miles. On right, no signs, rather secretive, but can see launch tower and related bulidings from road. We took a tour: Sometimes they have tours and sometimes they don't, so you will need to call. If you encounter a number of cars parked along the road they will be having a launch.

Marfa Mystery Llights: Located about halfway between Marfa, TX and Alpine TX.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote