Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Bellevue and San Antonio , Nebraska and Texas
Spearfish, SD to Hardin MT

So, I-90 or US-212?
We are heading to Glacier NP from Nebraska and looking for easy drives, but not overly boring. My wife is pretty paranoid about breaking down in the middle of nowhere and this is far and away the most ambitious trip we have every attempted.
We have a F150 3.5 SB Max tow pulling a 25 GT FBT. We don't carry full fresh water because it puts us pretty close to max payload what with the hitch, tonneau, and all the rest, and a ~1000# tongue.
Right now we are planning on US-93 off I-90 into Whitefish. The trip isn't supposed to be until mid September so we have time to have our plans radically changed.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Happy 4th!
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I've been through the area a fair bit, albeit without our AS, and would say generally Hwy212 is good - there should be no problems - there are towns along the way. That said some, though not me, would say there are few real resources through the reservations (Crow & N Cheyenne) and to avoid night travel etc.
I would not hesitate...though (see the following)

I-94 from Spearfish to Hardin is certainly easier also including the Little Bighorn Battlefield, plus Devil's Tower - given the choice I would very very slightly opt for it as opposed to 212.

The backroads of Montana are certainly doable, though with the AS I also am cautious because there are stretches with no services of any kind. I am not fond of interstate travel but I-94 is quite scenic from Big Timber to Missoula with a few good camp spots along the way. HWY 12 does have those "long stretches" but I like it too. Are you headed to the east or west side of Glacier? East side has some nice backroad approaches that are nice, the west is basically straightforward - I-94 to state 93 (just past Missoula) to Flathead Lake (both sides are nice drives) and on to Whitefish.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Bellevue and San Antonio , Nebraska and Texas
When I showed my wife the 212 option she started to get twitchy so I guess we will be on the superslab.
We are going in on the west side. I spent a summer working in East Glacier many moons ago and have great memories of the 'Flatfish" area.
You mentioned the backroads of Montana being doable. We came north from Texas and traveled west of OKC for scenery and avoid the traffic. That was the longest we stayed on two lanes and some of the roads in OK were pretty beat up, probably from all the heavy oil well equipment.
Thanks for the feedback. Safe travels!
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Spearfish SD has a beautiful campground.
enjoy the extended trip!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
“PatSoozy” – It sounds as if you’ve made the decision. To reinforce that, I have done this trip many times, albeit without “Miss Montana” in tow. I would personally heed your wife’s “intuition” and take the I-90 route. US-212 is certainly more direct, but there is a lot of nothing along that route and most of it is through the reservation. The I-90 route has several larger towns along the way just in case you do get in a little trouble. Without an Airstream in tow, I wouldn’t hesitate to travel on US-212. As “LBelle” suggests, I-90 gives you the option of a stop at Devil’s Tower and that is a must-see.

You’ll be just fine on 93 up to Whitefish. Be sure to stop at Tamarack Brewing Company in Lakeside, MT at the northern portion of Flathead Lake for lunch and a brew.
Miss Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
One thing to add, we’ve been caught in a snowstorm in that area in September… a blizzard that closed ALL the highways for several days. No safe place to park (just on the side of the highway or a city street), no services available for trailers, grocery stores and restaurants ran out of food if they were even open. Just a caution, keep you eye on the weather reports. Even before the highway was closed, driving with a trailer through snow was a bit scary as well.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
212!

U.S. 212 is the way to go! Been over it with the big truck at least a few dozen times since about 1977. The last time about a year ago and there was plenty of traffic including travel trailers where one would feel safe. Maybe a spot or two without cell service but mostly a newer road with even a couple roundabouts!
Side note: Picked up a load of lumber in Hulett, Wyoming near the Devils Tower (not far off your path) and I really wanna go back with my AS and hangout for a while! A quaint/quiet western old school town!

Motor On!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
If you ever have the misfortune of breaking down on the interstate it is the most terrifying memorable experience one can endure. Traffic at 80 mph inches away will always be a memory
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I drive these roads regularly for my job. There is nothing to worry about in either route. 212 may be more scenic to some eyes. I-90 has more resources...Sheridan-Buffalo-Gillette. Traffic on this section of Interstate will be much lighter than you're used to elsewhere. It will seem like a casual drive compared to a highway like I-80.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote