Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Spare tire, long drive

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody here have had to use that spare tire just behind the battery, bellow the trailer.

My first question is: What kind of tool do I need to take it out?
I bough a 2010 Flying cloud used and it didn't came with any tools. Is this kind of tools I have to buy from Airstream Dealer?
Also what do you use to lift the trailer with? (same thing here, it wasn't included with my trailer)

I'm planing on to go for a very long drive down Baja Mexico this Fall and just in case I have a flat i need to be prepare and so far I have no tools.

I'm also thinking of buying a second tire, not sure where I would put that one, still figuring this out.
Had anyone of you have to spare tire for long drive?

thanks for reading!
Mel
Melimelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
The tool you need depends on the bracket fasteners on the spare carrier. Mine has two bolts to loosen at the front of the carrier which allows it to hinge down and allows the tire to slide forward. Some people replace these bolts with locking pins or pad locks for security.

I need two adjustable wrenches to remove the spare from the carrier. I also carry a bottle jack, a torque wrench with socket and extension, and a four way lug wrench. I also carry a home made wooden ramp to drive up onto when only one tire goes flat (it is safer than a jack). The bottle jack is used only when two go flat at the same time on the same side.

If those tires are the original 4 year old Goodyear Marathons that came on the trailer when it was new, you might want to consider changing all 5 tires before your trip. You could use these for spare spares.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I just returned from my longest trip. Before I leaving, the tire was removed from carrier (with some difficulty) and placed in the front storage compartment. I did not want to be fighting with this on the side of the road.

I also bought a banana (ramp) and joined the Automobile Association (in case of a flat or other emergency - for their roadside assistance).

Made the trip w/o a flat....and I still have those Goodyear Mrathons on the trailer.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome!

Spare.... Maybe. Take it down. Learn how to use it. Verify you can actually pull it out.

Check pressure and condition. Still a new trailer, but you DO NOT KNOW the status. Figure it out!

Jacking... Figure it out. Now.

Two or more axles... With TV (tow vehicle) attached, place a ramp of several wood boards which are cut at an angle to create smooth ramp, by the good tire next to the flat one. Back up or drive fathead to roll trailer good tire up. That should lift the whole trailer enough to change tire. Two ramps are needed for three axles.

Single axle... You need a bottle jack capable of lifting trailer. It should fit under the axle mounting plate where it attaches to the frame. DO NOT EVER JACK ON THE AXLE ITSELF BECAUSE THIS WILL RUIN IT $2-3000 fix.

It needs to fit under the plate with a FLAT tire. So, measure the height from ground to your tire rim. That is the distance you need under axle mount plate before it touches the jack, plus, add the distance you wheel drops when you jack in the driveway. You will need that amount of stroke from the jack to get your new tire on.

Learn to properly torque lug nuts and bring spares.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
thank you guys for this informations! i'm taking notes and I'll do my homework
Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've needed it; the first time was on our second trip with the trailer no less. (Turns out the tires weren't 3 years old, they were 8 years old!) I've had it on the trailer twice since then when we damaged tires, but both times I discovered the problem at home rather than on the road.

Our spare tire carrier just has a cotter pin/clip keeping the bracket closed. On the road I jacked it up with blocks under the other tire since I have a dual axle trailer. At home I used a bottle jack. Don't forget to loosen the lug nuts before raising that wheel into the air...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Welcome!

Spare.... Maybe. Take it down. Learn how to use it. Verify you can actually pull it out.

Check pressure and condition. Still a new trailer, but you DO NOT KNOW the status. Figure it out!

Jacking... Figure it out. Now.

Two or more axles... With TV (tow vehicle) attached, place a ramp of several wood boards which are cut at an angle to create smooth ramp, by the good tire next to the flat one. Back up or drive fathead to roll trailer good tire up. That should lift the whole trailer enough to change tire. Two ramps are needed for three axles.

Single axle... You need a bottle jack capable of lifting trailer. It should fit under the axle mounting plate where it attaches to the frame. DO NOT EVER JACK ON THE AXLE ITSELF BECAUSE THIS WILL RUIN IT $2-3000 fix.

It needs to fit under the plate with a FLAT tire. So, measure the height from ground to your tire rim. That is the distance you need under axle mount plate before it touches the jack, plus, add the distance you wheel drops when you jack in the driveway. You will need that amount of stroke from the jack to get your new tire on.

Learn to properly torque lug nuts and bring spares.
Don't forget, chock the wheels on the opposite side. Don't want the trailer rolling off the jack or off the ramp(s) while you're struggling with the tire.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Oh.....and raise the tongue high....before removing flat. Very little room under there with trailer hitched and level.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07909.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	196527  
Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Along with the above items needed to change a flat tire I carry a plug kit. Several years ago I had a nail in a trailer tire and was able to plug it without the need to remove the tire. Some don't like / trust the plugs but I've done it many times and never had a plug fail. If you're going to carry it you got to learn how to use it but I wouldn't travel without it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
What a great idea for the plug kit! I'll get one for sure! thanks!!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
This is one of the better kits on the market:
Pocket Tire Plugger Kit - AutoSport Catalog
The mushroom-shaped plugs flare out against the inside of the tire when you insert them to provide a better seal. I've used this type of plug ever since I worked in my dad's service station as a teenager, and never had one fail in over a hundred plugs used, including a couple on my own vehicles. I do not trust and will not use so-called "string" plugs, but I always carry mushroom plug kits in each of my vehicles.

Plugs should never be considered a permanent fix; they're no substitute for a proper patch applied from the inside. But as a way to get back to civilization where you can get the tire fixed, plugs can't be beat.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Along with the above items needed to change a flat tire I carry a plug kit. Several years ago I had a nail in a trailer tire and was able to plug it without the need to remove the tire. Some don't like / trust the plugs but I've done it many times and never had a plug fail. If you're going to carry it you got to learn how to use it but I wouldn't travel without it.
I also carry a plug kit in my TV.If you have a flat that can be plugged you will need some way to pump the flat tire back up after plugged which means you need a compressor to blow your tire back up and you need a generator to run your compressor. You can buy those little cheap compressors that plug into the lighter recepticle but it probably won't last long enough to blow up the tire before it burns up (they are great for lawn mower tires or bicycles but not designed to blow up car tires) The amount of space you need to carry all this you are probably better off to carry a second spare instead. I have actually had to replace both tires on same side at the same time before. Never know what lies waiting in the road just to kill your tires.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I've used the Stop-n-go plugger several times and it works fine ... you might want to practice with it once on a scrap tire, so you can see what happens inside the tire when you use it. One trick to these is to use pliers (not included in the stop-n-go kit, but in your tool box, right?) and try very hard to pull the "mushroom" head back out of the tire once the plug has been inserted. That will help to insure that the head is seated against the inside wall of the tire, so it won't leak. If this is done, they work fine.

And note that some of the 12volt compressors work just fine. BUT, those that do are not the cheapo $25 ones - they're pretty expensive. I think mine was maybe $120. But it's pretty cheap as insurance goes. Several threads on this here on the Forums. Also, if you use one of these, you probably want to tap into the tow vehicle's electrical system and also likely will want to keep the engine running so the alternator can keep up with the current drain. They have pretty high amperage draws. Do make sure AHEAD OF TIME that you can reach both a 12volt power outlet (to get electricity) AND the trailer tires (to deliver the air) before you head out!

Finally, at least on my trailer, no tools are needed to get the spare free ... but as pointed out, it's a pretty tight fit, so once again, give it a go before you find yourself along the side of the road on a dark (and always stormy) night.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

We have lots of experience towing our AS in Mexico. We did tow a HiLo from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas many years ago.
I would replace the ST tires on the trailer with appropriate load range P or LT tires. If your trailer is triple axle, you can probably make this change without changing wheels. We have made this replacement on our 25 Safari after serial blowouts with ST tires. Rough roads and high temperature take a toll on ST tires. The roads in Baja and all over Mexico are rougher than the U.S. I have had axle and mechanical problems with my HiLo and on a wood framed Nash travel trailer. No problems with the AS as the suspension is durable and well designed. You can count on warm temperatures South of Mulege.
There are frequent tire repair stands all over Mexico. If the tire is punctured as opposed to blown out, it can be capably and cheaply repaired.
If you change to automotive tires, you can get buy with one spare. Since changing to Michelin tires, I have had no tire problems towing on rough roads and in hot weather.
My spare carrier drops when you pull the pin. I have to jack up the trailer with the tongue jack to get clearance to pull the spare.
I have a hydraulic jack and tools for my tow vehicle which I use on the AS. I recommend one of those big crossed lug wrenches as trailer lug bolts are torqued tight.
If you are disabled by the side of the road, you can count on an able bodied person stopping to help, expecting only a modest tip. You should know the procedure for a tire change so you can direct.
There are Green Angels whose job it is to help disabled motorists but they are spread thin.
Good luck on your trip.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

A quick post script to my previous post.
My P rated Michelin tires are much smoother riding than the oxcart ride I got with ST tires on the trailer.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks for the reminder on the compressor. I neglected to mention that along with the plugs. At first I had the cheapo 12v one and it worked well enough. My truck has E rated tires at 80 lbs. I got tired of waiting for that compressor. For times when towing I carry a 120v small compressor which will work off my generator. Haven't needed it yet and I hope it will work much faster than the 12v one.

Also, I've never tried the mushroom plugs. Will look further into that option. I've used the string ones with good results but I clearly understand that the mushroom ones would be much better.

Thanks all,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
thanks for the comments!

when you say I should replace the ST tire, you mean the extra one in the storage?

I tough of keeping it and just buy a second one and keep it inside the the trailer for the trip just in case one of them blow. And I also got a repair kit for tire this week. I got the tools as well.

I will have all my tire check and rotate as well before I leave for sure.

I also got an tire inflator on Amazon and an extension cord that I can plug in my lighter plug inside the trailer. I hope I'm not forgetting anything..